Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Girls Face (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35443)

daverave 07-04-2011 09:09 AM

Girls Face

7 Attachment(s)
Hi All
Just though I would share my way of creating a face, Im sure others out there use a simular way. First I create a sphere for the eye ball place it so it lines up with the reference photo's. Then I create a eye lid shape from a plain, most of the addional polygons are built up by extruding the edge of the plain and tweeking after each extrude.........feel free to say im wrong.....LOL........dave

Will finish this of tonight

honestdom 07-04-2011 10:22 AM

i think this is a pretty common way of modeling.

its a good start. why don't you enter the comp if you are starting a model anyway?

daverave 07-04-2011 10:51 AM

Its that I noticed there were a question from newbee on how to model a head. hopefully will show a easy way of doing the topoligy. Have not done any gaming since unreal meny years ago...........dave

Perfecto 07-04-2011 02:38 PM

The edge extrusion method is my perfered method for modeling characters as well. I used to use the box modeling method and the nurbs method but personally, I can get much better, more accurate results using the edge extrusion method. I havn't decided what my preference is for the body though as both methods usually give me the same results. I'm guessing it's probaby different though from person to person. Some might find box modeling or nurbs modeling easier.

TDW 07-04-2011 03:21 PM

Using almost same method, except, i only model the eyelid and let the eyball be a standalone object. I found it looking more realistic and it is helpful when the character's eyes are supposed to be animated lateron.

TDW;)

Jay 07-04-2011 04:30 PM

Nice Start Dave

Mmm the front view isnt quite a front though so be careful with your symmetry, sje is turn slightly

Jay

Johndoe050 07-04-2011 06:38 PM

Didn't know this approach. It seems to me you would use this method if you want to accuratly recreate a person from reference images. Or do you use this approach also on a fantasty model?

stwert 07-04-2011 08:20 PM

This looks really helpful Dave, keep it up! I'm a little confused as to how you get from step 2 to step 3... The small smooth piece to the more complete orbital... does the original piece represent the back of the eye socket?

daverave 07-04-2011 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All
I did say I would finish tonight but Im having a drink as its my birthday sorry (more days behind me than in front), It nice to see how other do there stuff. Perfecto I never got on with box modelling. The first bit of geo the only peice I keep is the eye duct part the other faces are delete after I have extruded from them this gives me the eye lids (TDW looks like we are doing the same thing). Jay I did not notice that must be your trained eye will take into account Thanks. Johndeo050 yes you could use this for moster (best with reference photos) so long as you know how you want the edge flow. Stwert if you look at the first bit of geo all I have done is double click on the out side edge extrude in front panel (mainly scale in world) then tweek in front first the side then prospective then repeat as needed........feel free to ask more questions.....dave

stwert 07-04-2011 08:52 PM

Ah, I didn't get that most of the original piece was deleted. I see how you went now.

daverave 07-04-2011 09:42 PM

Sorry Stwert that was my fault I should have put that in the first post...........dave

bullet1968 08-04-2011 06:57 AM

Looks cool dave...will watch closely..tried the box method and thats what put me off people type models...still have to get off my coight and finish Ramsay...just not interested in Maya at the mo...boredom and work kill it. BTW happy Birthday old man...will have a Rum for you tonight.

cheers bullet

daverave 08-04-2011 10:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bullet
Got heat stroke from the candles LOL, I do an extrude were the nose is going to be (delete faces that are not needed) also add some edge loop so bottom match up. Delete the half the mouth thats not needed combine then append to poly tool.............dave

Jay 08-04-2011 12:46 PM

hey Dave

well I wouldnt say a trained eye, it was the ear facing outwards that was the giveaway LOL, so it was a process of elimination, shes's either ugly or the camera is not central to the face

LOL

J

bullet1968 08-04-2011 01:16 PM

I believe the camera must be offline......he

cheers bullet