Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting & Rendering (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Particle rendering (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15260)

alienscience 31-01-2005 01:08 AM

Particle rendering

I have a seen in which I am using particles. I would very much like to batch render it but when I try nothing appears.- - I have a
n
blinn material I would like to use for the color. The particles are actually the rain ones from the video tutorial. For the particles that emit when the rain hits the ground I am also going to use a blinn. And one more thing (even though I know your not supposed to start a sentence with "and") i am just a newb to maya so, you guessed it, i only have maya 5 ple and know next to squat about it. So please keep all usefull help to leman's(not sure if I spelt that right) terms.

thx
-ryan

alienscience 31-01-2005 01:59 AM

Still need help

I tried to render it my scene using maya hardware, but now the paint effects won't show up. I need a way to display the rain, the collision of the rain, AND the paint effects. All help is greatly apreciated.

mhcannon 31-01-2005 06:44 AM

I'm still getting the hang of models & textures, but to my understanding batch render is not something that show live updates on screen. It does however create the files. I dabbled with batch render and the fire effects brush, and I didn't think anything was happening either but the short animation was created.

alienscience 31-01-2005 06:04 PM

Um...ok

I am not sure if you understand me, I have a 500 frame animation of a forest with rain particles being emitted and the trees were made using paint effects. I need a way to show all the paint effects and particles.

mhcannon 31-01-2005 06:56 PM

batch render should do it, although depending on your settings (resolution, raytracing, etc.) it may take awhile. Start the batch render at the end of the day and check the next morning to see if it finished. Patience is the keyword for batch renderings. :-)

alienscience 31-01-2005 11:12 PM

I DID try to batch render, its just that with me rendering in maya software it only shows the paint effects and not the particles. So when I switch over to maya hardware it renders only the particles. I need a way to render both.

mhcannon 01-02-2005 05:29 AM

Something from the help files:
- Hardware rendered particles have a render type of render type of MultiPoint, MultiStreak, Numeric, Points, Spheres, Sprites, or Streak.
- Software rendered particles have a render type of Blobby Surface, Cloud, or Tube

So I have to assume you have hardware particle effects, since they only show up in hardware rendering. No we just need to figure out how to get the paint effects to render in hardware. Which, as it turns out may not be possible. I set up a simple scene with hardware particles and some paint effects. Render diagnostics reports:
- Stroke rendering of paint effects is unsupported.
This was with hardware rendering.

So, now I'm stumped. The only work around I can find is to render the scene and the paint effects separately then composite the two renders.

Any rendering gurus out there wanna take a stab at this one?

Alan 01-02-2005 09:30 AM

mhcannon is right. You can't render hardware particles in the software renderer and you can't render Paint FX in the hardware renderer (It's only an openGL renderer with some extra knowbs etc ) So you have to either composite them or use software particles. I would suggest compositing them.

Now I'm not entirely sure about paint fx and masking but you may need to fake the depth of the rain by renderering multiple layers of rain and then comping them together as well.

:bandit:
Alan

alienscience 01-02-2005 08:16 PM

Ok, thx for the help but what do you mean in "leman(ryan)" terms, plz.

thx
-Ryan

uberstonks 01-02-2005 08:49 PM

Why not convert the paint effect trees to polygons

alienscience 01-02-2005 11:18 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
thank you, I had never noticed that before, I just did it for all of my paint effects in the scene and tried a single frame render and it worked. Although it took quite awhile, but hey thats why god invented video-games. Once again thank you so much, I am sure I will be able to use this in later projects. Now all I have to do is cross my fingers for the batch rendering.

alienscience 02-02-2005 12:28 AM

Ok, yet again, one more problem. I converted the paint effects to polygons but now the scene is way to dark. I batch rendered 20 frames, which took forever, and checked the progress and it was like night time almost. Should I light the scene and if so how.

alienscience 02-02-2005 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a pic of what it looked like:

mhcannon 02-02-2005 01:56 AM

Check out the 3 point lighting tutorial in the archives...
http://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=23

uberstonks 02-02-2005 01:58 AM

Yup.. You need to add some lighting to your scene..

Incidentaly, once you convert the trees to polygons there are lots and lots of options then available to you to tweak the tree.. Branch size,density,leaf size etc loads to play with