Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   moving between Maya + Photoshop (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20303)

mirek03 17-02-2006 11:25 PM

moving between Maya + Photoshop

Still trying to navigate this site; you have probably been asked this many times. I was watching the free tut on texturing a door and it seemed Mike (wizard) moved effortlessly from Maya to Photoshop. How is this done. My efforts at texture maps are hit and miss; select object.., auto map.., then what? I noticed there is a 'create PDS' amongst the menu.., is this an auto photoshop texture file creator of some sort.
From., eerr, the master of stupid questions.:confused:

hulkis2001 18-02-2006 04:03 PM

It's pretty easy to move from maya to photshop when texturing.

Now bare with me.

If you have the uv layouts all done, move them to one right top corner of box in the ( in UV texture editor). Make sure you scale them big or small so they can fit in that box.

Now go to "polygons", a big list of menue will apear. Look at the very bottom where it will say "UV snap shot". Click that.

A new window will show. Name the file name. For the size, i have mine at full which is 2048 for x and y. Lastly, change the image format to jpeg. Oh and choose the folder you want this file to save in.

Press ok.

Now before you go into photoshop, one last thing you have to do. Bring up the Hypershape penal. Create a new lambert. Call it what ever you like( this will be for the textures).

Now we can go to photoshop.

Open the uv snap shot file in photoshop. Do the textures there. When your done, save it(overright the first file). Done all that? Good.

Go back to Maya. And into Hypershade. Select the lambert you created before. Double click. You will see a new panel will appear to your right. Click on the first checkered box parallel to the "color". Again, new window will come up. Select "file". Now you will see something is changed. Look for the folder image in that panel. Click it. Select the photoshop texture file where ever it's located. If you did that, you will see that lambert has changed in the Hypershade menue. That's basically for the textures now. Middle click, drag and drop that hypershade on to the character or thing depending on what you have. If it doesn't show up which normaly happens, press 6.

Now if you want to make changes to the textures. Go back to photoshop. Open the same file. Do the changing there. Save it( over right that file). Come back to maya and just reload the textures. It's that easy.

This is my first time explaining something like this. Sorry if i am not being clear. Hope you get it. If not, ask me.

mirek03 19-02-2006 12:32 AM

:attn: thank you I've been doing this (MAYA) a for a while.., obsessivly (after reading 'simply Maya it seems obsessive is the only way it's done, your all bunch of Maya FREAKS):attn: I know all the menus and the numbers, ect you have explained. Your explanation was extremely clear i might add (Sun Tzu couldn't have been more succinct) and you have put the missing pieces of this particular puzzle together for me (I just woke up I hope this is making sense, had to film a rock band last night, got home late, the things we do?? :zzz: at my age, 49 going on 25, it's not really what I like to do) in a way no book i have read about texturing has done. What i have noticed about Maya is despite being awesome and initially complicated.., eerr, very complicated at anytime, is the work flow for various procedures is simple. It's a learning curve I guess like anything. It makes me wonder who the mental giants were who put it together are, How long has it taken and what sort of evolution Maya has undergone..?? Jesus I'm waffling.., thanks mate, I will be pasting your reply into a 'word' folder because I will definitely be using it.

your generosity will earn you a place in heaven my friend with all your sins forgotten (except the fun ones.)

:beer:

hulkis2001 19-02-2006 04:54 AM

Your welcome.

As you already know maya is not something you can learn in one day or a week. Starting out is always the hardest part. If you are really intersted in 3d, you will keep coming back to it and try learning it. There are times when you don't feel like working or can't get past some problem. That's alright. Take a break. And it always works. Trust me on this one.

Learning something as complicated as Maya on your own is pretty huge task to take on. Sometimes you will get help on the forums while other times, nobody seems to reply to your question. That can be discourging. I've happend that to me so many times and it still does. I do two of two things. Take a break or try fixing the problem myself. It can be hard but in the end, it always pays off.

You're new to 3d world and i know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way when i started. I've learned so much stuff since then but i still need to learn more and keep learning.

To do 3d animation/Maya/CGI, you need motevation. Motevation gives you passion. "Passion" is the key.

It's a long road, but if you are willing to travel on that road, you will come across many obsticles but in the end all is worth it.

Just keep going. If you come across a problem, post here. We'll help you out. Also, there are so many other forums that you should check out you if you need more help.

www.cgsociety.org
www.3dbuzz.com
www.learningmaya.com lots of tutorials here.

Good luck.

mirek03 20-02-2006 02:53 AM

:bow: I got to say you have my total respect. Your reply was generous and kind. (and very informative) I appreciate your kind words as much, or more, as I do the info you gave me.

I'll be waiting at the pearly gates to shake your hand.:beer:

one thing though, I still need to know why i got squares on my map instead of my door. I did the things you said and got a good texture onto the door despite there being just squares on the UV map. I did an auto map. Another reply i received mention 'laying them out flat'..?? do i lay the door on the grid?? couldn't be, I mapped a face a few days ago and i wish I know what I did. Maybe as you say everything must be scaled into a corner. The other reply made me think the scaled cubes could be under the squares and the squares are..? what I was going to say the tops of the planks but they are rectangles??
Anyway, the door looked pretty good to me today.

gorge Orwell, in his book '1984' uses the phrase, 'we will meet in a place where there is no darkness!' and interestingly many years later we are all meeting along optic fibre, ummm, excuse my drifting into la-la land, must be time to eat??:alien:

arran 20-02-2006 02:14 PM

I just thought that this might be of some use to you:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutori...uring/248.html

(I hope that it is ok to post this link here). I just replied to you on the other thread, so check that out. Basically, if i understand you correctly, the little squares that you are seeing are the planes of the polygons which make up your model. you need to arrange these in the texture editor so that they are flat (like unwrapping your xmas presents) so that you can paint on the flat image in photoshop.

As others have said, just keep persevering and it will come to you. Nine months ago all I could do with a computer was send email and look for naughty pictures :blush:. Just keep at it and it will come.

Also, make sure that you post pictures so that we can understand what you are describing. If you are not sure how to do this: you set up your screen as you want it to appear. Then hit the Print Scrn/SysRq key on the top right of your keyboard. then open up a program like paint, go to edit>paste and then save your image as an appropriate file. sorry if you already know this. Just trying to help.;)

mirek03 21-02-2006 12:45 AM

ummm.., quite a tut. I checked it out and whacked it in my word file for later reference. WOW, there is so much stuff on the WWW. I have only been using it for uni research and e-mail up until now. I feel linked to the world, which of course I am, and everyone is helpful and so it is hopeful (the future that is.)
Actually, you won't beleve this, one of my toics for this first semester is writting reviews about Asian movie releases ( I love Asian movies, they know how to use dynamics so well, whether sound, movement, speed, rhythm, etc.., soooo different than Hollywood standard production, which is also OK if you want to be entertained and not think too much, all the info in Hollywood movies is sort of thrown at your brain [should know the whole story by page 10, that's ten minutes into the movie] and gives the illusion that you are making decisions about the story, but in reality your just a passenger on a ride...,) for 'Heroic.com' and I couldn't think of a more cushy topic. Of course I will try my best at it even so.

definitely I will take your advice about sending screen shots (I have done it of course but it was a while ago and i appreciate he top up of info from you).

Thanks again and remember;
don't be surprised, don't be startled- all things will arrange themselves.
Don't cause disturbance, don't exert pressure- all things will clarify themselves.
Huainan Masters, China 2nd century BCE :bow:

mirek03 22-02-2006 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have an image (screen shot) of the mysterious squares I have been mapping from the 'door.' I don't know how to put the screen shots onto this posting and i'm even not sure the attachment will work. When I peview the posting the attchment dissappears??

At least i have the screen shots but how to put them on this page. whoops, there it is

mirek03 24-02-2006 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the last picture was a bit small so I hope this is bigger. I can project OK if I follow differant tuts but this is something i am trying on my own. I am curious as to why I get these squares instead of planks. It did start as a cube that I copied a nuber of times (planks).