Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   HELP!!! need help saving a maya file to .obj so i can edit it in zbrush (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23793)

mrbozzo 05-11-2006 05:10 PM

HELP!!! need help saving a maya file to .obj so i can edit it in zbrush

HELP!!! need help saving a maya file to .obj so i can edit it in zbrush...
please commen fast becouse im making a 3d collab with a friend...

gster123 05-11-2006 05:36 PM

Make sure that objexport is on in the plug in manager, then got to
File->export and look in the options box for obj.

mrbozzo 05-11-2006 06:21 PM

how can i turn on the obj.eksport thingy?
do i have to download some kinda plugin or something?
btw i use maya 6.0

NeoStrider 05-11-2006 07:10 PM

go to windows-->settings/preferences-->plug-in manager...

there, you'll find objExport as a plug-in, but in order to turn it on you have to check the 'loaded' box (and 'auto load' if you want it to be turned on every time you start maya)

after that just follow the rest of gster's directions.

mrbozzo 05-11-2006 07:18 PM

but if i have it to auto load does it change anything in the export thingy exept for that i can save it in .obj?
or is it that always when im in export it always is in .obj and i can't use anything else...

NeoStrider 05-11-2006 07:32 PM

when you go to the options box for export all (or export selected) the top dropdown box chooses what you export to... so you can choose whatever shows up there.

mrbozzo 09-11-2006 04:38 AM

it doesn't work
when i export the thing i export it and i save it as .obj file... but it saves both mtl and obj and nothng work for my fried with zbrush:(

gster123 09-11-2006 06:44 AM

Is he trying to open the obj document in Z brush by going to file open?

If so he needs to load your obj file from the tool import menu in Z brush to open it.

mrbozzo 14-11-2006 06:02 PM

it doesn't work:(
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

NeoStrider 14-11-2006 06:13 PM

ok well let's take it back to the beginning. what kind of object are you trying to export, what's it made out of, what steps are you taking to export to a .obj file, and what steps is he taking to import it?

be specific, and don't skip any steps cause you assume we know what you're thinking and doing.

mrbozzo 14-11-2006 07:11 PM

ok
i made the whole thing first of a polygon box then converted it to subD and made almost the whole thing as a subdiv. when i was finished so my friend could take over i clicked export all>.obj and it saved both a mtl or something and .obj file... the suspicious thing was that it is 1kb and the .mb(maya binary) file is 22kb
when i sent it to him he couldn't get it to work...
he's not on msn so i can't ask him now what he did..

gster123 15-11-2006 05:42 AM

Dont think Z brush uses sub d's keep it in polys and try that.

Alternntivly go to pixologics website and download the quick start guide, it goes over exporting from maya, importing to Z brush, and back out.

mrbozzo 16-11-2006 12:06 AM

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!
i only need'ed to transfer it to polygon...

jerryhami 05-08-2008 12:58 AM

Thanks a lot for this information all tips mentioned above worked great for bringing a 3d object from Maya 8 into PS CS3. Now the fun begins

Jerry