Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Furry Creature (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21814)

errethakbe 02-06-2006 11:32 PM

Furry Creature

1 Attachment(s)
Whatcha think? Still need to figure out what I want him to wear.

Joopson 03-06-2006 12:38 AM

wow, i like it, are you gonna texture him? he would make a good UT(unreal tournament)2004 game model........... i like it alot!

bobalie 03-06-2006 02:39 AM

He looks a lot like Conker(from Conkers Bad Fur Day) and Rocky the squirrel. (Rocky and Bowinckle) and a raccoon; all mixed. Please excuse the spelling. I like his face, his boots; although cool looking, could be tweaked to be a little more. Im not quite sure how this should be done. However...
he looks pretty awesome.

Congrats,
bobalie

errethakbe 09-06-2006 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for the comments!

i did a little bit more tweaking...i didnt like that the boots were so small, so i expanded them to make 'em a bit less squished for his feet...also gave 'em sort of a cuff. Fixed up the "mask" as ell...it wasn't conforming very well to the face and just didn't look good...still not happy with how the legs look, so i'm gonna mess with those later ...here's what i got so far with some temp colors.

Lt Jim 09-06-2006 02:26 AM

I LIKE it! Real simple and cartoony. The character has mass and balance and should be a lot of fun to animate! Hope you'll give it a lot of facial expression!

Keep crankin', can't wait to see the result!

errethakbe 09-06-2006 04:41 PM

i'm hoping to animate it eventually...still learning modeling, and need to do a lot more work on texturing. Speaking of animation though, are there are any ideas on how to do the eyes? They're a weird shape, and i'm not sure how I can do those so they rotate properly without going through the geometry...maybe i should just use a circle and move it along the eye? not sure...if you got any ideas they'd be appreciated :)

arfanahmed786 10-06-2006 04:21 PM

Hey! I really like this character! I love this kind of cartoony character design. Will you make a short animation involving this character and have you planned a story?

As for the eyes, im wondering how that's done too!

A small thing i noticed is the hands, not sure if you have completed modelling for this character but maybe the hands could be slightly fatter or exagerrated as you are going for a cartoony look.

Gud luck and im really looking forward to seeing how this comes along!

Lt Jim 11-06-2006 12:07 AM

There are many ways to do the eyes. You could create eye sockets, or you could just add a flattened NURBS (or Poly) sphere (as a pupil; the whites would be textured) and just move that around along the surface.

If you really want fully formed eyes, here's what I would do:

1) Create eye sockets in the character's head in whatever shape the eyes are going to be in. This could be done any number of ways, but selecting faces around the future eye socket and deleting them, then extruding the remaining edge inside the head is the easiest way to make an eye socket.

The eye itself is best done as a NURBS sphere (because you can map an eyeball directly to a NURBS sphere more easily than on a Poly sphere), A lattice deformer can be placed around the sphere and the sphere can then be deformed to match the eye socket. Adding an aim constraint to the eyeballs is the best way (or at least the most common way) to control movement of the eyes.

The deformer should ensure that the eyes deform properly regardless of their position, though you'll want to chck to make sure you like the way the eye looks first!

Hope this helps! PS creating aim constrained eyes is relatively easy, and the procedure should be readily available online!

Regards,

Lt. Jim
NYC, USA

errethakbe 12-06-2006 03:57 PM

Thanks! I look online for aim constraints and i'll try that. I appreciate the suggestion :) I'll have another update in a few days...i did fix up the legs...and am working on the hands right now.

errethakbe 30-06-2006 04:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't had a lot of time to work lately...added a few extra things...decided to make him a pirate, arggh!! (it'll actually hopefully be an animation in the end, with him, a peg-legged, one-eyed bird, a tiny sailboat, and a hedgehog with red/white striped shirt...i think hedgehog..not sure yet...) anyway, here's an update :)

errethakbe 08-07-2006 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay...got a bit more time to work on Cap'n Koon. Added some pockets to his jacket, as well as a few more buttons...jacket will be more detailed via textures.
Also added a sash (couldn't figure out knot) and a lacey shirt.
Fixed up the hands, and they work and look a lot better.
Ears will be next, and then i'll figure out how to do the eyes. Then it's on to texturing. Whutcha think?

errethakbe 08-07-2006 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the other

mc-fleury 08-07-2006 04:30 PM

looks really cool.cant wait to see it rigged.

Lt Jim 08-07-2006 07:27 PM

Damn, looks nice! I really like the variety of possible costumes you came up with! If you'll indulge me, I will make a couple of historical suggestions concerning his clothing (I'm an 18th century military/naval history nut among other things):

Pirates as we know them flourished from the late 1500s right up until the mid 19th century (and in some areas, to the present day), but the "classic" era of pirates was c. 1660-1800. Coats from the late 1600s through about 1750 would have had very large cuffs on them (they became somewhat smaller after 1770 and were the same size as the sleeve by 1800). Assuming it won't get in the way of animation, the coat would REALLY (IMO) benefit from the addition of a cuff! I might also increase the space between the lapels of the coat to reveal more of the sash underneath (a very nice touch, and don't worry about the knot!).

Generally, a successful pirate captain would have chosen to "flaunt" his wealth by wearing the gaudiest, most gilded clothes he could afford (or steal). As most pirates weren't "gentlemen", they had no real idea of fashion and would mix and match various styles as suited them individually.

All this was in contrast with the various military, naval, and colonial forces sent to stop them. 18th Century naval ratings had no regulation uniforms (though they appeared uniform as they were all supplied with similar clothes); naval officers generally wore blue uniforms with gold trim (your character could easily be made to look like one if you choose the blue coat).

Armies/marines of the era had simple but smart regulation uniforms which were expected to be kept in good repair; officers had better quality uniforms with gold and silver trim).

Sorry for the excess info, but designing the costumes of one's characters is IMO one of the fun parts!

Can't wait to see him animated!

Furry Fury 09-07-2006 06:03 AM

Re: Furry Creature

Quote:

Originally posted by errethakbe
Whatcha think? Still need to figure out what I want him to wear.
uhhh...ok...u know i think it better i didn't give my opinion... however if it you first week i have to say you did a fine job, dont take be wrong though, i have still to get a working animated figure, but ive got a pretty realistic lookigna greyhound at day 5 from when i got the program, and my workload hasnt exacly given me alot of time to fool around