Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Battle Arena (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Open battle (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30550)

amoeba 30-07-2008 02:18 PM

Open battle

If anyone is interested, I would battle someone (preferably new user to maya).
:)
Challenges can be basically anything, although I would go for a non-organic/dynamic challenge. I do not know that much about the last one, except how to make rigid bodies for something like dominoes, etc.

So, anyone up for it?
:cool:

Chirone 31-07-2008 05:38 PM

I'm wondering if anyone would actually finish a battle :p

Chirone 31-07-2008 05:48 PM

of course though, i don't like to leave challenges unfinished...

i'll take you up on your challenge if no one does it before me by the time i figure out what i'm meant to make in XSI

but i know it'll be something to do with medical equipment...

so, if i can import stuff into the free version of XSI (mod tool they call it, for making models for the Source SDK and XNA) then i'll take you up on a Maya challenge

it'll be something to do with medical equipment, so i don't imagine there would be any organic modelling or dynamics...

Mayaniac 01-08-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chirone
I'm wondering if anyone would actually finish a battle :p
Those slackers... ;)

anyway... If you guys are looking for a hard surface modeling challenge for each other, and have allot of time on your hands, you could try a tank... nothing harder ;) Plus I have Tons of reference, and blueprints you can have.

Anyway, have fun!

amoeba 01-08-2008 01:44 PM

Tank sounds great to me. :)
Would be very good modeling practices...
You allright with that, Chirone?

Chirone 01-08-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mayaniac
and have allot of time on your hands, you could try a tank...
haha, a lot of time...

lemme remind myself what i have to get done!

-dissertation experiments...
-programming the program for the experiements...
-40-60 page report for the dissertation...
-make models in XSI, and possibly teach people how to use photoshop...
-oh and learn XSI...
-research real time heuristics (i guess) to make a game... and that -will probably be programed in python... or in worst case senario C++
-oh that reminds me... will have to learn python in that case...
-write up more reports for the XSI assignment...
-write up more reports for the game...
-oh crap, it's still not clear on what that other paper will involve... but doing stuff for a business might take time...
-eventually study for the exams...
-oh yeah, that's right, i still gotta do that trophy for the summer challenge...
-probably watch more video tutorials...
-finish playing crisis core...

hmmm... i think i got a very busy 10 weeks left...

ok, i can take you on in a tank challenge, since i probably need stuff if/when i make my portfolio...

but i'll need more than a week...

i imagine the catapillar wheels will be a pain... even more if we rigged it... but i suppose we'll just do a still...? considering i can't be bothered figuring out how you tube works :p

ok, yeah, i'm cool for a tank battle
if mayaniac gives us the refs then that would be good... cut down the searching time...

OH OH, that's right, one more thing to do by friday... get a lecture prepared

fun fun...

Mayaniac 01-08-2008 02:23 PM

Well, I'm glad you've not got too much to get done :confused:

Anyway, a Tank it is!

You will have to pick the Tank you guy's want to model, and I will supply the Blueprints (If possible) Or if you want me to pick for you?

Anyway, I think you should stick to Just a still frame, given your to-do list ;)

As for the treads.. there a piece of cake! Duplicate them around a curve ;)

Chirone 01-08-2008 02:49 PM

oh yeah, that reminds me...

i also got some case based reasoning assignment that i haven't got yet but know i'll have to do

also will have more research and presentations to do in AI

and at some point i'll have to learn MEL

(yeah ok, the skills in my sig are what i theoretically have by now... but i probably only have about half of them :p)
i wish i was 16 like the rest of you :p

ok, i know naught about tanks, so if Amoeba knows something then i'll let him choose.
otherwise, pull us up a random tank, Mayaniac :)

Mayaniac 01-08-2008 03:12 PM

Well, I'm not 16 either... I'm 17!... JK I just turned 19 ;)

Wow, you do like you programming languages.

I hope I can build repository of language skills that big some day.

So far I have... Maya, 3DsMax, ZBrush, Blender, Silo3D, Moi3D, Bodypaint3D, Photoshop, Illustrator, Camtasia, Dreamweaver, Flash, C#, XNA, Actionscript.... I'm just learning programming, but I hope to add Python, and Java script to the list soon.
Plus I know the other basic Microsoft office progs.

Anyway... If I were to pick the Tank it would most likely be either, Challenger 1 or 2, or a Panzer IV, or VI.

But we'll wait to see what amoeba thinks.

Chirone 01-08-2008 03:25 PM

back in those days when i was 19 all i had was... umm... would have been Java, SQL (long forgotten), photoshop, flash, actionscript, html, css (also forgotten but nothing dreamweaver can't remind me of... i think), and.... that's probably it...oh and Swift3D, third party software for flash

hmm... then again, i also have forgotten all i know of actionscript other than play(); and stop(); and gotoAndPlay(x); and gotoAndStop(x), at least i think i spelt those last two right...

that's an impressive sounding lot of 3D software you know!

as for the tank, panzer sounds fun because i think i've heard of it before

amoeba 01-08-2008 03:47 PM

Panzer is the german word for tank...maybe thats why you heard of it before.

Anyway, I don't have a clue what Tank to model, so mayaniac, can you supply us with the blueprints/refs of one of your tanks please?

:bow:

amoeba 01-08-2008 03:50 PM

Oh, and about the tank tracks rigging, theres a .mel file that makes the tank treads + automaticly rigs it. If anyones interested, I can post the file.
;)

Chirone 01-08-2008 03:52 PM

:shakehead trying to get the jump on me already eh?

haha, well, throw us the script, it sounds interesting and like something i should know too....

amoeba 01-08-2008 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is...

Mayaniac 01-08-2008 04:01 PM

Well.. A Poly is a Poly, and once you've know how to manipulate it, you can do it in any program, so learning new 3D software to me, is just learning where all the buttons are ;) So nothing to great there.

As for the programing... I'm just learning. So my programing skills sound about as advanced, as your knowledge of Action script... I know the Syntax, and I can build a basic Interface, or throw together a quick form that does next to nothing.
But other than that... I'm it's all new to me.

I've been playing with XNA lately... I can build a basic Collision game with PRIMITIVE AI.... AI :hug: But again.. I'm just learning.

When you say SQL you mean SQL server.. right? Because I didn't think that was dead or forgotten ?

Same with Cascading Style sheets (CSS)?

So Panzer it is! Panzer is also the name of a family of tanks created around WWII.

I will look around see what there is.