Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Spitfire Model Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16214)

BMS 06-04-2005 10:34 AM

Spitfire Model Progress

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I've watched pretty much the whole tutorial and I've started modelling. This model isn't going to look like the one Kurt created because I'm using different reference pictures and referring to pictures from the web.

I've spent a lot of time in trying to get the wing profile looking right and I'm happy with the general shape. Any feedback welcome.

Cheers
Paul

uberstonks 06-04-2005 12:50 PM

Great start but the wingtip shape doesnt look right. The spitfire wasnt as pointed as that

BMS 06-04-2005 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Man,

I was so focused on achieving the wing profile of the airfoil and the fuselage fillet, that I didn't even notice the wing tip. That was out by a mile!

Cheers
Paul

Here is the updated wing tip:

BMS 06-04-2005 07:21 PM

BTW: Should I be posting this in the WIP section?

uberstonks 07-04-2005 01:41 AM

Yup... Im sure one of the moderators will move it for you.. Dont bother starting a new thread

BMS 08-04-2005 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cockpit Cut-out complete, which has taken me the longest . . . probably because I had no idea what I was doing :)

If I get a chance I will start working on the Fuselage later tonight and possibly the Tailplane too.

Cheers
Paul

lisa_gonzalez 08-04-2005 08:26 AM

Thats looking great BMS, I'm glad you sorted out the problem with the cockpit. I might take a look at that tutorial myself, I'm doing the Yamaha at the mo though (I really should update my thread on that!).

LisaG :D

BMS 08-04-2005 08:54 AM

Thanks Lisa,

I looked at your Yamaha WIP a while back, how is it going?

I'm hoping I can get this model done in a couple of weeks. The hard part is finding the time. I had heaps of probs with the cockpit and as a result spent a lot of time on it. I guess the good thing is I learnt a lot from it.

I'm really looking forwards to Texturing this model and seeing how it comes out . . . hopefully animated.

Cheers
Paul

PS: we have friends over and I just had dinner and a couple of beers, not sure if I'm in any condition for modelling :)

lisa_gonzalez 08-04-2005 11:42 AM

I know what you mean about finding time to get things done. The last thing I want to do when I get home is switch on my computer, as I've been sitting infront of Maya all day at work. I'll post an update on my Yamaha soon. I think I'm going to use it for texturing practice too. Kurts tutorials are great, I've learned a lot of great techniques that I wasn't aware of.

I think its great that your using the tutorial but applying it to your own design, thats a really good way to learn, and it'll be more of your own model.

Right, off to lunch, catch you later :)

LisaG

BMS 08-04-2005 11:57 AM

I think it was luck and timing more than anything else. I actually started modelling a Spitfire a few weeks ago, but was running into all sorts of problems, like the cockpit. The good thing was I tried building it, but it wasn't turning out the way I hoped. As soon as the tutorial was released I purchased it.

It was great to see how someone else tackled building it. I downloaded about fifty pics of actual spitfires for reference! So if it turns out the way I would like, it should be a good model.

You're off to lunch and I'm going to be going to bed in a couple of hours :)

Cheers
Paul

BMS 09-04-2005 05:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Started work on the Tailplane today. This is the progress so far.

Cheers
Paul

Kurt 09-04-2005 06:07 AM

Very nice start mate... keep it going...

BMS 09-04-2005 06:34 AM

Thanks Kurt,

It getting there slowly :)

Cheers
Paul

uberstonks 09-04-2005 01:38 PM

looking good

Anm8or 09-04-2005 06:18 PM

very nice start. cant wait to see more progress.

BMS 10-04-2005 02:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Guys,

I'm still tweaking the model as I go, but having said that would love feedback on anything that is obviously out.

The Props are done, but the Cone still needs work as its very rough. The tailplane section is pretty much complete. I noticed the forward edge of the Elevator and rudder are both very radiused so I added this detail. The Fuselage still needs work but its getting closer. I also added the Exhausts.

I still need to complete the Nose Cone, Landing Gear, Canopy, maybe even add the seat etc.

Cheers
Paul

serhat 10-04-2005 05:06 PM

Nice job :)

Keep it on :)

lisa_gonzalez 11-04-2005 08:18 AM

Looking good there :D

LisaG

BMS 11-04-2005 09:19 AM

Thanks Guys,

I'm cleaning up my 3, 5 and 6 sided Polys. I'm hoping this wont take too long :(

Cheers
Paul

BMS 13-04-2005 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Man I've spent many hours trying to get 4 side poly's happening. It took me a while to get the hang of it . . . well it actually felt like I was playing a game of chess :confused:

In any case with the help of Pony and Kurts tutorial I've got my head around it now :)

Most of the model is now cleaned up . . . well with the exception of the bottom of the Fuselage. Landing gear is in the main wing now and I've decided to go for a 4 bladed prop. The spitfire came out with 3, 4 and 5 bladed props!

BMS 13-04-2005 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Plus a closer look.

BMS 14-04-2005 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Started the Cockpit today :)

Looks like I might have the modelling completed by the weekend.

BMS 14-04-2005 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished off the cockpit and did a little more work in cleaning bumps out of the model. I still need to add a little more detail but that's all going to be easy stuff. I will move on to texturing next . . after joining the two halves of the fuselage together . . :)

Cheers
Paul

mhcannon 14-04-2005 10:02 PM

Paul,
It's coming together very nicely. The detail really adds to it. Keep up the great work.

BMS 15-04-2005 04:52 AM

Thanks Michael,

I can't wait to start texturing next :)

Jay 15-04-2005 09:07 PM

Yeah cool

This looks great, look forward to seeing it textured and put in a scene. Are you going to do a scene? Like an airfield or something, with a couple of these and pilots sitting around drinking tea waiting for 'Scramble'.

Jeez I can smell the grass and hear the old gramaphone playing too!! Oh and dont forget the dog!

Keep it going
_J

BMS 15-04-2005 10:17 PM

Thanks Jango,

I've just ordered a spitfire DVD for more reference information. It's now complete underneath and has it's antenna etc. I think modelling is complete . . . well if I stop tweaking it, which I can't seem to stop. Is a model ever complete?

I do plan on doing a scene with the Aircraft on ground. I'm not sure how much time I will put into this, because I would really like to do a full on animation with it, possibly combine it with Maya Live to produce something. So I guess I still have a lot of learning to do. I took some footage at the Australian Airshow a few weeks ago, so I should have the sound covered :)

I've never textured anything so it will be good to see how I go with this.

Cheers
Paul

Jay 16-04-2005 09:28 AM

Hey BMS

Sounds cool. I may be able to track somebody down for a Spitfire sound if ya not happy with yours.

_J

Jay 16-04-2005 09:31 AM

In fact I just found this little lot on a site

http://warbirdsofww2.tripod.com/downloads.htm

Theres a spitfire fly by here

_J

BMS 16-04-2005 12:33 PM

Thanks Jango,

I downloaded the sound and it seems very good . . thanks man.

I just got my Spitfire DVD and I'm going to start watching it. I can't believe they built 20,000 Spitfires! Starting from the Mark 1 through to the Mark 24.

Cheers
Paul

Jay 16-04-2005 07:22 PM

Theres some places here in the UK that have Spitfires, worth looking on the web, one is Hendon War Museum, also RAF Ducksford which has a big US thing there too if you are interested and the other place is a small town near me called East Grinstead that is now a hospital but was a Spitfire base during the war

_J

BMS 16-04-2005 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info Jango, I will check them out.

I know there are a couple of Spitfires here, I just need to find out where and if I can get access to them. I want more info on the cockpit internals.

I watched the Spitfire DVD I just purchased and it looks like the pilots had parachutes with them. I don't understand how a pilot could get out of the cockpit and parachute out . . . was that possible?

Cheers
Paul

Jay 17-04-2005 10:33 AM

Im sure they could have, and pretty darn quick if the plane was on fire!!

_J

cung 17-04-2005 12:24 PM

awesome! looking forward to seeing the textured version :P nice job.

BMS 17-04-2005 08:55 PM

Thanks Chris,

I've made a start on texturing, so hopefully I will have something worth posting soon.

kennez 18-04-2005 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BMS
Thanks for the info Jango, I will check them out.

I know there are a couple of Spitfires here, I just need to find out where and if I can get access to them. I want more info on the cockpit internals.

I watched the Spitfire DVD I just purchased and it looks like the pilots had parachutes with them. I don't understand how a pilot could get out of the cockpit and parachute out . . . was that possible?

Cheers
Paul

I'm not totally sure on this, but I believe they opened the canopy and the side hatch, and then banked the plane about 90 or 180 degrees, allowing them to simply fall out of the cockpit. I'll have a look in my Pilots Notes book and get back to you about it this evening, but I'm sure that's what they did.

BMS 19-04-2005 09:42 PM

The reason for asking the question, is I'm thinking of making the pilot too, but maybe not straight away. ;)

Cheers
Paul

BMS 20-04-2005 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My wife just saw my spitfire and commented "That's not very realistic" :D

kennez 20-04-2005 06:45 AM

Well, she does have a point. I cannot think of a single Spit that had the starboard half missing, and was painted completely in red and white checkers, including the canopy! :p Seriously though, it's looking great.

Are you going to pur the rearview mirror above the fixed section of the canopy?

I bought the Spitfire tute, but am just waiting for the DVDr to arrive. However, I am going to add some spice to it by doing it in Modo!

BMS 20-04-2005 07:19 AM

Thanks Malcolm,

I'm not sure about the rear-view mirror, Some spitfires had them and some didn't. I think the model looks better with out it.

I've probably spent around 4 or 5 hours just downloading spitfire pictures from the web for reference. If you do the same you will soon realise there was little consistency in the way they were built. I guess the good thing about that is it gives us a little more flexibility in the way we want our models to look.

Cheers
Paul