Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   May/June N00B - R@nSiD (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16691)

publicFunction 14-05-2005 10:03 PM

May/June N00B - R@nSiD

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

After a few weeks doing 3D totals 1 hr Speed Challenges I thought I'd come and play with the big boys and give myself time to put the effort into a small project...

My Creature will be purely fantasy (gives me a bit more of a free reign to make stuff up :p ). The plan is to model each part (Body, Head, Arms, Legs & Tail in NURBS and convert to Polys. Once in Polys I can tidy up and create a copy in SubD. Ill Keep the SubD for the render. If I get time the Poly model will be smoothed and animated. Shame I need to do a backdrop too :eek: .

Any way I start it tonight by creating the body. But here is a quick (but badly drawn) 2D side concept sketch...

Had to use lined paper :o, no plain in the house atm...

publicFunction 14-05-2005 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hand Image

publicFunction 14-05-2005 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lastly the foot

publicFunction 14-05-2005 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, its 0022hrs in the UK and here is the NURBSBody and the start. No going back now :D

publicFunction 14-05-2005 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the head. NURBS Modelling is so cool... :)

alienscience 14-05-2005 11:18 PM

Hey, i cant really comment, but the mods ands admins asked that you crop the images that are photo captured. But great start,...............and I kinda like rancid, they are in close ties to travis barker (which is the drummer for blink)

publicFunction 15-05-2005 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by alienscience
...but the mods ands admins asked that you crop the images that are photo captured...

They can post here and tell me in person then :D

Thx. I dont feel NURBS really give you a gr8 idea of how this guy would look. Its only been 1 hr of modelling.

publicFunction 15-05-2005 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Its 02:17hrs and I'm givin' up for the night...

Heres where I am now

alienscience 15-05-2005 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by R@nSiD
They can post here and tell me in person then :D

HAHA, good attitude. LOL, just playing, but I do have a question. Its about your hands, are you experienced with this type of modeling? When I tried something similar I couldnt do the hands seperately, but I really dont know how either, so basically its a question that im asking for myself.

mtmckinley 15-05-2005 01:42 AM

We would prefer if you cropped your images. :)

alienscience 15-05-2005 01:44 AM

HAHA, you got told by a mod, and on top of that, it was mickenly, who better than that? LOL (no offense, just playing with ya)

publicFunction 15-05-2005 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
We would prefer if you cropped your images. :)
Cant argue with the Mountain!!! :o

Ill bring 'em down, they'll be at 756xsumthin and wont make the page side scroll.

gohan1842 15-05-2005 06:41 PM

There's actually no need to say anything. If most people bothered to read the rules and stickies then discussions like these wouldn't be brought up. The dimensions of ur pictures are also in the stickies if you want to check it out.

publicFunction 15-05-2005 10:06 PM

Is Bitch and moan all the the ppl on this site do?

Not talkin to the mods here, they have set the roolz. But there are ways and means to tell others. I saw no roolz stipulating image size and others have larger images posted.

Anyway I wont dwell on the negativity of others, if there is no crit coming out of what I have or will post then please keep your comments to yourself. I thot this was supposed to be a fun site. Yet American arrogance is showing thru from sum spoiling others enjoyment.

Nuf said...

alienscience 15-05-2005 10:37 PM

WTF do you mean "american ignorace". More like scotland homosexuality, atleast if we have weird men that were skirts they were underwear, and dont suck on "bag-pipes". Yer dirty scot. Sorry if I came on a little offensive, but I dont understand why people always target america as the "bad" country, they all know we would beat their a**es in a war. This will probably get edited or deleted, oh well.

EDIT: Sorry if I offended anyone on this topic. But, I am choosing to leave the original post up (until a mod finds it). I know I may have not really chosen the right set of words (scotish homosexuals), but I did this as a joke. I really did not mean to cause any harm, but if you perceived it that way, I am ready prove my points, just more dignitively (dont know if that is a word).

orgeeizm 15-05-2005 11:21 PM

alienscience if you wanna talk back, you guys should keep it on the Private Messaging. this forum is for cg related talk only, unless youre in the member lounge where you have more freedom to talk about other things, but fights like these, no way..tsk tsk.

anyway, ransid, you got a pretty good start. i wanna see some wires. the creases on the neck look strange, like your characters neck isnt supposed to go up that way, but it looks as if its on its default pose so the crease shouldnt be there.

publicFunction 16-05-2005 07:03 AM

Orgeeism,

Im just goin to work. Ill post stuff on wires tonite. My model has gone from NURBS to polys now for "refinement".

Thx for crit.

mtmckinley 16-05-2005 12:21 PM

Try and keep it civil, guys. There's no reason for this negativity.

publicFunction 16-05-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Try and keep it civil, guys. There's no reason for this negativity.
Mike didnt intend the uncivility. but is there any need for the "jumping on the bandwagon". Alien stated my images were too big. I said Mod had to say. You did. I changed it, end of chat.

There was no need for the lecture by another user after is has been sorted between myself and you. 'noughsaid. :p

publicFunction 16-05-2005 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a wire of my progress. I am now doing this in Polys (Converted from NURBS). This is easier to apply the little changes that are needed. Still a long way to go ...;)

orgeeizm 16-05-2005 06:29 PM

Hmm i see. Are you gonna connect the arms and legs right now? I think you should before your mesh gets more complicated. Right now theres alot more polys than there should be hehe but well, if you / your computer can handle it, then i guess its ok. But good practice to have a clean simple mesh :) Keep it up man!

publicFunction 16-05-2005 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by orgeeizm
Hmm i see. Are you gonna connect the arms and legs right now? I think you should before your mesh gets more complicated. Right now theres alot more polys than there should be hehe but well, if you / your computer can handle it, then i guess its ok. But good practice to have a clean simple mesh :) Keep it up man!
Thx :attn:

I am about to combine the arm and leg once done I am gonna try to reduce the Polys on the head. My PC is fine with this amount of Polys and more. Its quite powerful with a good chunk of RAM a ding dong

Ill post one more later once I am happy with the body...

publicFunction 18-05-2005 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok,

Heres is the current picture of this "Creature", any names for it would be good :)

dae 18-05-2005 08:12 PM

it has that mutated frog look, all you need to do is add a few more details, like some muscle structure and some skeletal formations just to define it some more.
good luck
dae:p

Bowring_2002 23-05-2005 07:36 PM

Looking Good Man, I'm really liking the Teeth on that thing they've got a cool unique shape to them

publicFunction 25-05-2005 05:38 PM

AARRggghhhhHHHHHhhHhhHhHh

Thinngs went very wrong and my model vanished. I was doing a cleanup and sorted that. Delete History and went to etract a new face...

!!!Vanish!!!

So I have had to start again :'(.

Ill post it once I have it stiched, Same concept nothings really changed

spekkio 25-05-2005 05:59 PM

sorry to hear that man..
well, atleast doing it over again won't take that long anymore

publicFunction 25-05-2005 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok,

3 hours late and im back :P

Heres another image update...

publicFunction 25-05-2005 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK OK one more and then its bed, I mean its 1.52am for cryin out loud :0

Alan 26-05-2005 02:14 PM

Quote:

WTF do you mean "american ignorace". More like scotland homosexuality, atleast if we have weird men that were skirts they were underwear, and dont suck on "bag-pipes". Yer dirty scot. Sorry if I came on a little offensive, but I dont understand why people always target america as the "bad" country, they all know we would beat their a**es in a war. This will probably get edited or deleted, oh well.

EDIT: Sorry if I offended anyone on this topic. But, I am choosing to leave the original post up (until a mod finds it). I know I may have not really chosen the right set of words (scotish homosexuals), but I did this as a joke. I really did not mean to cause any harm, but if you perceived it that way, I am ready prove my points, just more dignitively (dont know if that is a word).

well take this as a non-friendly request for you to not start spouting crap like this, because not only did it get read by a mod but a scottish one at that. The irony is you're trying to defend american ignorance and wondering why most of the civilised world dislikes your country and yet in two or three sentences your proved to yourself exactly why. I'm going to leave the post up to remind others what sort of an idiot writes that sort of crap. And please do try and "prove your points" via a PM to me believe me I'm all ears and for the record no it's not a word.

Sorry to have dragged this back to that subject but it's really p*ssed me off.

Alan

Total Rookie 26-05-2005 09:12 PM

Hey, Ransid...

The creature really looks good, but if you add some real nasty
textures to some body parts :alien: you 'll be able to give me and other people strange sensatios such as drunkeness( what?).

publicFunction 26-05-2005 09:52 PM

ROFL...

Thx, I think :P

Im just playin with renders and tryin to get some water/fog in the scene.

Once thats complete I can rig it and pose it...

I'll post a snap of it as soon as its finished rendering...

20mins so far :-\

Enjoy all

publicFunction 26-05-2005 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As promised...

alienscience 27-05-2005 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
well take this as a non-friendly request for you to not start spouting crap like this, because not only did it get read by a mod but a scottish one at that. The irony is you're trying to defend american ignorance and wondering why most of the civilised world dislikes your country and yet in two or three sentences your proved to yourself exactly why. I'm going to leave the post up to remind others what sort of an idiot writes that sort of crap. And please do try and "prove your points" via a PM to me believe me I'm all ears and for the record no it's not a word.

Sorry to have dragged this back to that subject but it's really p*ssed me off.

Alan

Hey, man didnt you read my edit. Im sorry if I offended anyone. I already said that, I know it was stupid, but it was just a joke. Whats worth living if you cant laugh? Seems stupid to me, dosent it you? But seriously, if you were offended by what I said then dont take it as an american stereotype. I think you arent getting what america really is from how I act. But I still dont understand why every country trys to pick on us. You hate us because of our "ignorance"? I mean, why would you dislike us because of that? We are the country of freedom after all.

Now to ransid's model. Good job. Nice concept. maybe fix up the water a little bit, and the seaweed looks a little.........small I guess. But I like your dude. He shows character. :beer:

PS. That wouldnt happen to be a dome for the water would it?

publicFunction 27-05-2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

Now to ransid's model. Good job. Nice concept. maybe fix up the water a little bit, and the seaweed looks a little.........small I guess. But I like your dude. He shows character. :beer:

PS. That wouldnt happen to be a dome for the water would it?

Thx for the crit there, I am working on the textures as they are still not quite right and due to the water/fog i feel in need to increase my bumpmap a bit to show the skin texture.

The water is still not right yet, and yes its a dome of blue but Im gonna get rid of it and set up rocks or similar kinda background

The weeds/plants will be replaced eventually and the paint effects will get converted into Polys to lalow shadows. its the fog/water thats giving me the big problem as I want to have shafts (ooooo errrr) of light beaming in and I am finding that hard.

I reckons I still have about 2-3weeks work left. So i better get a move on...

:)

Alan 27-05-2005 12:47 PM

you really shouldn't worry about the environment / textures etc until you finish the model. I would take more time with your model a fancy environment wont make your model look any better.

Places for you to improve it:

1. the mouth, it stops... surely it should carry on into the model?
2. The arms/egs look like they are just stuck on there.. no muscle definition they don't look like they could even move at all....
3. Texture, the temp texture looks like wood... how come? look at reference of lizards/aligators/snakes/any underwater thingy look at their skins/scales etc and see how they look...

that's what I would do... :)

:ninja:

Alan

mhcannon 27-05-2005 03:38 PM

wow... unless those teeth folded down/up, then this thing would have to live with it's mouth constantly open otherwise it would impale itself.

Pure Morning is spot on with the last crit. The model and texture could use some fine tuning. The stretching in the texture looks off. Did you UV map first?

You have a whole month left so don't feel rushed to get these done today... sit back, enjoy the ride, and make it your best.

publicFunction 27-05-2005 05:12 PM

Thx for the comments guys...

Im not trying to rush (I think :confused: ). Im not totaly happy with the model and i really need to work on it as you guys have stated.

I'll take on board both you comments.

The reason why the texture doesnt look right is it either has tooooooooo many repeats in either the U or V.

OK, im gonna play CSS for the moment and work on texturing for a while. I have some DVD tutorials from Alias so I should be OK once I have been through them.

Enjoy all and have fun

publicFunction 30-05-2005 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi again folks...

OK. Hopefully my model is looking better with:

The arms and legs looking more like part of the body.
The teeth shortened :blush:.
The mouth deeper
The texture lookin better

If not let me know. After all this is a good learning curve ;) . And I doubt I will win any awards. Ive only been usin' Maya for 6 months now :attn:

publicFunction 01-06-2005 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'ello again all,

Ok heres a preview render of my scene... Still work do be done, I know, but if you can pick up issues...

Please let me know :)