Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   DS9 Model (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21408)

G-Man 09-05-2006 03:53 AM

DS9 Model

Hers some images of the DS9 Station from Star Trek, been workign on it for a night or two now little by little.. I'll try to have some more updates in a day or so on it..

Not much there yet but.. lemme know what you think if you have anythign to say..

Legend

G-Man 09-05-2006 04:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

G-Man 09-05-2006 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

G-Man 09-05-2006 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

G-Man 09-05-2006 04:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

arran 09-05-2006 04:28 AM

cool! It's good to see a star trek model. :beer:

Looking forward to seeing an update.

marcusenberg 10-05-2006 04:13 PM

looks like a good start

not really a fan of Star Trek but i have to admit i love that station though:beer:

keep it up :attn:

MattTheMan 10-05-2006 08:39 PM

Yeah- I habve never watched Star Trek- but This is looking pretty cool!

G-Man 11-05-2006 03:38 AM

Funny..I Hated this spinoff ...but i love the DS9 Station and the Defiant design as well..

Been workign on it, dont really have enough to be worth an update yet though.. been going slow the last few nights..

LEgend

vladimirjp 11-05-2006 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by legendofzombi

Been workign on it, dont really have enough to be worth an update yet though.. been going slow the last few nights..

LEgend

stop being lazy dude :p

looking foward to next update.
:beer:

G-Man 13-05-2006 04:53 AM

Heh..
i'm haveing a bit of a problem with my Smooth Proxy... looks good in some parts, and like total carp on others.. i'm almost embarrassed to post it as it looks at the moment on the part i'm working on mostly..

might jump off that for the moment, and work somethign else, just depends on how the mood strikes me

Legend

G-Man 14-05-2006 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well.. Aftera mixture of RJD ( Ronnie James Dio for those of you who dont know), Judas Priest, Twisted Sister, and a bit of Megadeath tossed in to take my mind off the monotany of pushing and pulling verts..
HEres a bit of an update for you all..

The inner docking ring is just there to show a bit of what it'll look like.. i'm going to totally redo the geometry thats there, as i am the Docking Pylon that i origionally had..

G-Man 14-05-2006 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

G-Man 14-05-2006 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the central hub...bridge area and what not is kinda bare now, but.. its a start

G-Man 14-05-2006 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one.. i mirrored everytyhing and such as it need to be to get an idea how its going, and thought i'd share with you all

Hope you like

G

G-Man 14-05-2006 06:12 AM

Anyone ever had problems with an extrude?.. I.E. The faces start twisting in weird ways unstead of staying uniform when you hav multiple faces selected... and are scaleing...
The tool option was set to local not world, so i know thats not it...

I also had a problem when i was trying to extrude a line of faces "upwards" relative to their direction, with them getting rotated weird like for some unknown reason...Never touched the rotate tool, they just tweaked Out all on their lonesome... Again, the tool was set for local, not world...Any ideas?...

Legend

Jay 14-05-2006 10:25 AM

Hey G

Model is looking nicely detailed. As for the extrude prob, I've had this as well - you get the opposite effect every so often. I've nailed it down to a build up of history and also try set to faces, hope this helps.

Cheers dude
Jay

TomerM 14-05-2006 10:36 AM

Try to go to the Extrude tool options window, and click Reset.
It might be that there is a twist value to your extrudsion which makes it twist as you move it.

G-Man 14-05-2006 04:55 PM

Thanks J, i apreciate that...
I tried the Set to face already, but.. deleating history never occured to me.. i'll give that a try here momentairly..

Tomer I'll check into that as well...

G

G-Man 14-05-2006 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WEll heres the pics of the first extrude problem i'm aving.. Tried everythgintahts been mentioned already, and tried making sure my "Keep Faces Planar" was checked under tool options..

Talekd to Vlad in Msn and he said this is normal, and i need to find a script that will extrude face alon gnormal.. so.. any help there, or other suggestions are both welcome..
Cheers
G

G-Man 14-05-2006 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The after effect

G-Man 14-05-2006 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a quick update on what i hopped off on while trying to resolve the Extrude issue..
this is part of the outer dockign ring, if you know the station well you'll know what you rlooking at..
its hard to describe otherwise.. just some.. insets in the hull for lack of a better term
G

vladimirjp 14-05-2006 07:15 PM

yppur extrude problem is a common issue in maya im afraid. what you need to do is to extrude faces that are planar, on the same exact plane or close to it, so that maya can move them uniformaly in local space.

here is a tool that sort of extrudes along normal

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downlo...ygon/3157.html

this one moves/rotates/scale along normal

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downlo...ools/3717.html

you can do a zero length extrude then move the newly created faces perfectly up in the normal direction of the preceeding faces.

good luck.

G-Man 16-05-2006 05:32 AM

i'll have an update tomorrow night sometime.. made a lot of progress today after i said screw extruding and just model some stuff as indipentant Geometry so..

I'll get a nice update after i get some more done..
G

G-Man 17-05-2006 05:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two more updated pictures..

the Central hub bridge thingy with some detail added to it..

G-Man 17-05-2006 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
overall view with new detail shown..

Jay 17-05-2006 06:44 AM

G

Great stuff, its coming along very well, some nice detail there...nothing more to crit

Best
Jay

G-Man 19-05-2006 04:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice update for those faithful fans following this one..

And a bit of advice form Some lighting Guru out there..
How would i go about, when i render the final product.. Having it seem as though there is a light emitting form inside the "red" area there.. but not effecting the surrounding geometry?.. Sortof like a flashlight only..the light woudl be comming form more then one hole..
Thanks

G

G-Man 19-05-2006 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

G-Man 19-05-2006 04:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

G-Man 19-05-2006 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wire for those of you who might ask for it

G-Man 19-05-2006 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a pic of a problem i've run into ..any ideas?..
I've already tried all the Normal tricks i know..eh..no pun intended..

G

G-Man 19-05-2006 04:53 AM

Nothing Small pic

G-Man 19-05-2006 04:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nother Small Pic of detail that'll probably never be seen

arran 21-05-2006 09:32 PM

Good work legendofzombi - this is coming along nicely - I am really looking forward to seeing this come together. I never really got too into DS9 - but I always thought this space station was pretty cool.

sorry I can't help with some of the problems - I was going to suggest normals for that dark area, as I think I have a similar situation on one of my models... or maybe you don't have enough geometry in that part. Have you tried deleting the area and remaking it? Just a thought.

Hope you sort it out.:beer:

Jay 21-05-2006 09:38 PM

G

If its not the vertex normals, try set to face. Im sure thats what is, Ive seen this loads and done either of these to correct it

Model is getting there, keep it coming dude

Cheers for now
Jay

twisteddragon33 21-05-2006 11:14 PM

always a fan of sci-fi and not a real ds9 fan however it looks good so far.

Going to make any starships to dock with it?

G-Man 22-05-2006 11:38 PM

JAy, Tried both of those
Its stumping me.. I'm thinking of just cutting it in half and mirroring the good side over, and cheating my way out of it..

TD
not sure where i'm ging with it yet..
I thought of modeling the Defiant to go with it
and maybe an Akira class ship, or Intrepid class ship....
Possibly a ..eh... Whats Enterprise E?.. dunno for sure yet though.. I just wanted to model it so i started the model.. I'll try and update tonight
G

G-Man 23-05-2006 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick Update...
I restarted compleatly on the Docking Pylons, and i started over on the Inner HAbitat ring..
Bridge, Warp Core, and that area is pretty much done now.. I still ahve a bit of detail to cut into the OUter Docking ring, and into the Docking Pylons, and i have to model the phaser array's on the inner habitat ring still..
Then i'll sift through for various details i might have missed..

G

Jay 23-05-2006 07:51 AM

G

Mail Me the model tonite when you can I'll have a look

Cheers
Jay