Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   results of my course; girrafe (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21445)

mirek03 18-05-2006 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the camera and the castle the tail of two objects...:eek:

mirek03 18-05-2006 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
through the looking glass, well, the camera actually and the playblast is a blast

mmoore5553 18-05-2006 12:08 PM

looks like this is coming together really well and quick and it is a scene not some car or robot hahha ... yes i keep up with alot of reading while at work. so curious is there going to be a dragon in the scene hahhha

good work ... cant wait to see mmoore ..looks like you are modeling faster now too...

mirek03 18-05-2006 01:41 PM

yo my friend, yes no cars or robots, this is just a tut I'm doing from the TAFE school for intriduction to maya. I'd like to put it with that little wooden scene that I made earlier but you know what its like, you make something and go, na, then you dump it and do somethimng else (unless your really good and I'm not., yet). Maybe I can use your dragon hey LOL.

i figure that I try to give something back, a lot of the guys here have been very kind and if anyone can get anything from what I have done it would be great. that is all really. I mean also, who else am I going to show off to, only other mad Maya freaks are REALLY interested and not just, oh yea, that's nice mirek and then they talk about the weather, you know what I mean. and hey, it is really amazing what you can do when you explore the tools. There's tools here that do things in seconds I have taken hours to do other ways.

Take care mate, hows the dragon coming eh. I'll go check it later, I'm ready to crash, just had to do a repair on the computer.

when the textures go on the castle i'll do an interior too, and put it all on the wood scene and give you a tour around the magic forest, LOL, get your dragon ready.

mmoore5553 18-05-2006 01:52 PM

to be honest I am very impressed ..like i said earlier when you first joined you was frustrated and could not understand some of the process and it is good to see you have gotten a grip and running with maya ..it is your friend

dragon is on hold ..having major issues with ears ...going to try to work on it some more

i like the castle theme ...

mirek03 18-05-2006 01:56 PM

yours or the dragon's LOL, the dragons i hope..:beer:

mmoore5553 18-05-2006 02:08 PM

dragon ..lol :beer:

happymat27 18-05-2006 03:38 PM

mirek,

I like the way that you're walking us all through your progress and it's good to see your confidence with Maya grow. I'm looking forward to seeing the castle textured, perhaps you could put some tapestry on the inside walls too.

Take it easy,

Mat.

gster123 18-05-2006 06:36 PM

Coming along nice mirek, never tried the projection mapping other than trying some camera mapping out for 3d matte paintings etc.

mirek03 20-05-2006 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
matt, great idea about the tapestry, I'll find some on the web or make something in photo shop, it'll be a challenge, for an interior do I duplicate the keep and scale it down, reverse the normals so that it will render correctly?? or just add textures as is??

gster, what's camera mapping for 3d mattes?? Which reminds me, does anyone know where there is a good jargon buster for photoshop and 3D??

anyway, moving on, here is the texture beginning. first I made a bunch of quick sets so it would make the texturing quicker, just 'add to selected' after I chose the textures for the lamberts.

mirek03 20-05-2006 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
started the selection after chosing textures

mirek03 20-05-2006 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
made the texture process quicker

mirek03 20-05-2006 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
made a few mistakes, I had to revolve the whole model in X and I combined instead of grouped and didn't know how to 'un-combine' anyway it was a hassle because I couldn't duplicate the textured bridges and had to texture each one

mirek03 20-05-2006 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
twin screen view

mirek03 20-05-2006 05:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just about there

mirek03 20-05-2006 05:57 AM

camera view, underside of bridges not textured yet

mirek03 20-05-2006 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
whoops.. here is the camera view

mirek03 20-05-2006 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
put an image plane at the back

mirek03 20-05-2006 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
view with image plane

mirek03 20-05-2006 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
twin view

mmoore5553 20-05-2006 06:04 AM

wow I that is coming along great. ..wish there was classes here where i live ... i would love just to get that far ...

glad you are still sticking with it ... looking good so far ..cant wait to see more progress

one crit though ...not sure if image plane goes with it ..cause image plane is very bright and your castle is darker color ..I would think darker background would look better or that is just my opinion ...

and just one more crit ...last finally castle ..top of it looks tad bit off ... other than that good

oh some flags would look neat on it just my opinion

mirek03 20-05-2006 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry about that, forgot to size it down, anyway this test render reveals a few errors, rather things I do not know about;

some how I have put a textue into the windows, not hard to fix

the block things on the tops of the towers are distorted and on the right the texture has really messed up??

no bump map also.

mirek03 20-05-2006 06:25 AM

hi there Mr mmoore, didn't see you there, yea, there is still a lot to learn. I think every teacher is a walking library of accumulated knowledge passed down and through experience, that's why I have so many teachers, uni, guitar, Maya, etc.

they pass on invaluable stuff if you find a good one with a warm and generous heart.

anyway, glad your out there too, thanks for the support and I'll see what I can do about the color combinations. etc.

got to rush off to uni soon and edit a doco for .., ?? for uni I guess, it is something I have to do in a group situation, only runs for 7 minutes. I also have to compose some music for a few of he honors and masters student docos.
catch you soon

Jay 20-05-2006 12:39 PM

Mirek

Looks like you are having fun with Maya, it makes life easier when you can. This way you'lll pick stuff up quicker, well done on the castle so far.

My advice to you would be to finish the Giraffe from earlier on, dont leave models unfinished, I always find it annoying when people do that without finishing the first task, just a little self discipline goes a long way to separate those who can and those who cant.

Remember; 'Training' is nothing, 'Will' is everything...

Regards
Jay

PS. have edited this thread from earlier aggravations, so now its nice and clean:beer:

mirek03 20-05-2006 12:52 PM

Jay, cool my friend, stayed away from the girrafe as it was a tut, but on your advice i will go back in and do my best with it.

thanks for everything:beer:

gster123 20-05-2006 04:47 PM

Coming allong nicely.

Carmera mapping is where you use standard photographs and with simple geometry create a 3d scene. You can move the camera through (Although depending on the situation/source photos etc you can have limited movement).

It can be useful for background images of a shot that otherwise would be just a standard 2d.

Also in movies it is used as it can keep costs down. eg A film in America needs to protray a shot in Sydney with the opera house etc, they could send a film crew over to do a simple shot (expensive and time consuming for a simple shot) or obtain a stock hi res photo and camera map it.

If i've got the process etc wrong please correct me.

Heres a link to some of the things you can do with it.

http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.ph...ab&sub=samples

Cheers

mirek03 21-05-2006 12:44 AM

Jesus, I just had a look at that site and downloaded about 100 meg of stuff that will probably go right over my head, err, thanks Gster :) I'll never for get you for this, i can't eerr, umm, thank you enough :)

actually this is the sort of stuff i need to know, I thought that was camera tracking, not mapping. good thing about life; you learn something everyday.
cool my friend

I think i'm going to be pretty busy for the next week or so and I can't see any more updates happening too (about a week) soon unless I lose my mind and throw time management out the door.

:beer:

starjsjswars 31-05-2006 03:29 PM

nice work dude.

mirek03 01-06-2006 01:43 AM

thanks my friend, I'm working on another run through of a jail cell interior now for the next episode.

should be up within a week, just after uni assignments are finished.

:)

mmoore5553 01-06-2006 01:51 AM

well I can not wait to see more ...hopefully it is going well and easy .. ..hope to see progress soon ..

marlonjohn 30-08-2006 02:31 PM

ehehe great work mirek... :bow:

bill the dill 30-08-2006 06:37 PM

:attn: :attn: god isn't this mirek character a goose he he, hey a half finished giffarfe, ge's a bit of one himself he he, john, what do you reckon, maybe we should both go down to adelaide and give him a serve he he

get up to broken hill sometime john and just ask for bill the dill, everyone knows me here, we'll have a couple of beers together hehe

bill the dill 30-08-2006 06:44 PM

and whats more.. :zzz

bill the dill 30-08-2006 06:52 PM

???

mirek03 30-08-2006 06:58 PM

bill the dill open your mind, tune in and drop out, or drop off, i dont really care. he he

starjsjswars 30-08-2006 07:45 PM

lol nice.

mirek03 30-08-2006 07:57 PM

sorry, couldn't help myself, time i gotta life lol :beer:

marlonjohn 31-08-2006 07:16 AM

ahahaha yeah id love that... when i get my car lol.... have a couple of vbs together, all good =]