Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Gibson Les Paul (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23932)

Jay 28-06-2007 08:13 AM

Steve

this looks real nice, I think in terms of lighting, it's getting there but try and tone down the ambient level on the materials as its washing it out making it a little bright in places.

nice bit of modelling and texturing though

Cheers
Jay

gster123 29-06-2007 05:32 AM

Cheers guys.

I rendered out a little fly by video that I posted up on you tube a bit ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3hHmCr-qxM

Its a bit fast, as I thought that 5 seconds was a long time! Its also seems to have gone a bit "jerkey" with the compression of the video (as the full files smooth as)

Thanks for the advice on the lighting, I'll get back onto this when I eventually get enought descent stuff to make a demo reel.

AnthonyCg 03-07-2007 07:15 AM

The guitar looks great. :beer:

XtremeAMX 21-07-2007 12:59 AM

Good work. Did you use an animation modifier to bend those strings into place of the tuning pegs? What material did you use for the frets?

NitroLiq 21-07-2007 05:01 PM

Before getting too concerned with the lighting and whatnot, and I suppose this applies only if you're going for photo-realism, you should re-examine your modeling and reference materials. Standard Les Pauls are thicker—yours is more like a LP Jr. which would have a different pickup arrangement/type. The body also looks a little more elongated than it should be and the curved areas have a blockiness to them. Knobs aren't correct, String action is way too high, etc. I would hunt down close-up pics of a LPS from all angles so you can get the details.

gster123 22-07-2007 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NitroLiq
Before getting too concerned with the lighting and whatnot, and I suppose this applies only if you're going for photo-realism, you should re-examine your modeling and reference materials. Standard Les Pauls are thicker—yours is more like a LP Jr. which would have a different pickup arrangement/type. The body also looks a little more elongated than it should be and the curved areas have a blockiness to them. Knobs aren't correct, String action is way too high, etc. I would hunt down close-up pics of a LPS from all angles so you can get the details.
Cheers for the crits.

I used my Les Paul copy as reference, which the model essentially fits, when I come to making a demo reel I might have a look at the proportions, as I said a while ago this project is essentially finished (was about 6 months ago).

The knobs are a copy of the ones that Ive got on my guitar, and the string height was just that, thats how it came out whan I added them, I could get rid of the blockeyness by adding a secomd smooth poly to the body

Like I said I'll have a look closer to putting a demo reel together.

NitroLiq 22-07-2007 08:21 AM

You have to be careful using a LP copy as reference because not all are entirely accurate. I own a Les Paul Standard so some of the things really stood out. Again, it all depends what you're really trying to achieve at the end.

Lukyas 22-07-2007 11:31 AM

Now, after that good guitar, U got to make someone to play it, it would be shame if noone plays that GOOD guitar. lol

andrew_sorensen 18-10-2008 06:15 PM

your guitar looks great. I myself am working on modeling my takamine. was wondering if you could give me some tips. How did you do your strings? I tried the helix, but maya couldn't really handle the attributes i tried. and how did you give them that nice wrap around the tuning peg at the top? I also liked the way the strings deforms around the bridge? did you use a latice to do that? I'm a student so I apperciate any tips. thanks..

gster123 18-10-2008 06:22 PM

Blast from the past!

I used simple extrusions for them, from a cylinder.

I-Iybrid 22-10-2008 07:57 PM

I remember this thread! Damn.....lol

starjsjswars 22-10-2008 08:02 PM

lol blast from the past indeed, was a epic thread

gster123 23-10-2008 12:24 AM

Haha Indeed!

Welcome back Iybrid!