Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   futuristic city scene (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25871)

t1ck135 24-04-2007 06:26 PM

thanks arran :) hope you got your system sorted out btw

cheers Jay :)
I just remembered I have some in one of my many reference collections from ages ago (cant help saving stuff for later if it looks good). Dont know how high res they are but they might help

Si

tiddles 26-04-2007 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is starting to take shape nicely :beer:

If you still need some reference pics for city scapes I found the following 4 pics each at 1920x1080 .png's. If you want em, send me a PM and I'll send them you...

Jay 26-04-2007 10:21 AM

Textures!!

Theres a load of free building ones on the latest 3d world magazine's CD....

Cheers
Jay

t1ck135 26-04-2007 03:39 PM

cheers tiddles, I've pm'ed you :)

well spotted jay, I dont often look on the CD content (tut tut) but they will do nicely :)

I've also actually started creating some basic high res textures for the more distant buildings but these finds might negate a fair bit of that

Si

younglion 26-04-2007 06:25 PM

your scene is coming along nicely

wasatch5_sparticus 27-04-2007 01:24 PM

I like the new pic! It's starting to turn out really nicely with the new textures and shaddows! KUTGW

Sparticus

t1ck135 27-04-2007 01:33 PM

cheers younglion and wasatch5_sparticus :)

I've been going through tons of websites and a backlog of 3D world cd's for reference textures since Jay mentioned about the free ones on the latest edition. Its time consuming going through over 20 cd's I can tell ya!
I'm also on with making a game in virtools for a project so progress on this scene will come and go over the next couple of weeks.

Si

t1ck135 28-04-2007 02:41 AM

well, realised this might have to be in next week so its back to doing more :)

Here's another update adding some other textures in. Somre are unfinished but I'm aiming to get all the textures in and then concentrate on hand painting it up to a decent level. There will be text overlaid along the top and some text/icons along the bottom (on bands of light areas) so I might not get to do the vehicles till a later time. The sky still hasnt been added back in.

Si

http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/city/test6_layers.jpg

t1ck135 30-04-2007 05:00 AM

Here's some more progress on changing bits that I didnt like and tidying up some areas. Probably one or maybe two more days on this and then thats it ;)
Text will be overlaid along the top and bottom and so a few bits will be obscured (like the front right textures on the round building.
The sky color is bluer as well but I cant find where I put the layer (d'oh) :D

Si

http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/city/test8_layers.jpg

tiddles 30-04-2007 06:39 AM

Lookin good Si...

KUTGW
Dave.

happymat27 30-04-2007 03:27 PM

This is looking very nice,

good progress Si. Which university are you studying at now?

Mat.

Jay 30-04-2007 03:45 PM

Si

Good progress mate, a small suggestion, this harks back to my days when doing 2d art (Im reminising whilst smoking his pipe in a rocking chair) : make the foreground buildings darker, then adjust the mid section slightly less and so on until the background is the brightest part of the image. This will add even more depth and scale and also contrast.

Get those cars done LOL too!!

Best
Jay

t1ck135 30-04-2007 09:43 PM

thanks Dave, you too :)

Cheers Mat, I'm at Leeds Met doing Creative Technology (3D mainly with some photoshop thrown in). I think you said you were at Bradford weren't you? I very nearly was there this year but changed my mind at the last minute (job related).

Cheers Jay, thanks for the tip - I've been playing with that technique today and it does help. Eee, these old grandpa's in their rocking chairs can still teach us young whippersnappers a thing or two ;)
For this hand-in I'm probably going to omit any detailed cars and just motion blur some elements in there. In the future when I revisit this (and do a far better job) I think some uber cool futuristic vehicles will be the order of the day!

Cheers :)
Si

http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/city/test9_layers.jpg

and a reversed black and white which I do quite a bit when working things up (or used to do many years ago):
http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/ci...bw_reverse.jpg

t1ck135 07-05-2007 01:55 PM

Well here's the final image (without text). Not quite the result I was after but it has been a great learning experience using render layers and trying some matte painting over 3D :)
I think it will kick start some more attempts at futuristic scenes soon.

cheers for the help and advice Jay and Steve :beer:

Si

http://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/city/final_notext.jpg

tiddles 07-05-2007 09:19 PM

Looks great Si - job well done :beer:

t1ck135 07-05-2007 10:02 PM

cheers dave and thanks for the images too by the way :)

Jay 07-05-2007 10:22 PM

Good Job Si

A good learning curve for sure. At least you have the option to go back and do even more if you want. If I had the time I would have love to have helped, another time maybe...

All the best
Jay

happymat27 07-05-2007 11:09 PM

Hey there Si,

matte painting is something that I mean to have a go at one day, you've done a great job there. Like Jay said, you can always go back and do a bit more if you wanted.

Flipping images is something that I used to do aswell (when I could be bothered to put pencil to paper!!) I found that it lets you see the picture in a new light.

Later,

Mat.

arran 08-05-2007 08:56 AM

yeah - this came out really well Si - well done. :beer:

if you do decide to make more, it might be nice to have some clean futuristic city scenes and some that are more dirty and messed up, with billboards and signs and smoke - sort of a contrast between utopia and distopia. just an idea. ;)

t1ck135 08-05-2007 06:42 PM

thanks guys :)

Jay - yeah definitely, I think modelling the very foreground buildings would be a good exercise as well as adding in more detail. I understand on lack of time, especially with your Outlaws launch - hope it goes well :)

Mat - yeah the matte painting part was fun but made me realise how long ago it was since I'd done any perpective pictures! You're right about the flipping of pictures - I did it last thing at night for a quick look and then the next day started working on the flipped version before eventually flipping it back. It's good to see where the eye is drawn and to spot those ever present bad areas ;)

arran - good idea on the contrasting styles - maybe make the same scenes all polished and shiny and then redo them as if there has been a war and everything has gone to ruin :)

I've got some 3D stuff for a game that I might put up soon, some 2D pictures and will be starting working on my final project (9 months at it) so plenty more threads will be coming this way ;)

Si

Jay 08-05-2007 07:01 PM

Hey Si

Thanks dude, I think after the launch Im going to have some serious therapy, look at my eye twitchin!! LOL;)

Seriously, I'll probably have a break just after the launch to cruise the forums for a bit and have my say and get the red pen out, its been a while. Plus some promoting too. David has agreed to promote it here as long as I do an Outlaws Themed modelling tute too, which should be good fun. A bit of hard surface stuff I think. I was going to do more character related stuff but Im up to my elbows in those atm, so a break from that would be good I feel.

Ive set up an online shop too, to sell T shirts and stuff so I can fund Outlaws and get it published eventually , it'll be online (shop) once the end of May comes

Cheers
Jay

gster123 08-05-2007 07:57 PM

Hey Si, great job in the end, looks real good, I want/need to do a city scape for a little side project that I keep puttin on hold what with uni and another project that i'm working on and really looking forward to getting going!

Jay - I'll be looking ofrward to the launch of outlaws! Keep us posted!

t1ck135 09-05-2007 06:10 PM

hehe, it'll all be worth it in the end Jay. That's a good idea to promote it through this site - I'm sure people on here will also mention it to their friends and other things may come about :)
Good idea with the online shop - you've got some cool designs and graphics that'll fit nicely on t-shirts.
If I dont get a job after finishing the course then if you want any help just ask ;)

Thanks Steve :)
If you want any pointers on what I've learned while doing it then just let me know. pm me or fill in my feedback form on my site (in my sig) if you want to talk about it over email.

Si

Jay 09-05-2007 07:45 PM

Hey Si

Sure, many thanks, I keep that in mind...

Jay

mastone 10-05-2007 04:54 AM

it looks very good man:bow:
maybe you could make it like sunset and kick ol grandpa off his rocking chair so the young wippersnappers can take over:p