Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The Blackened Isles (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27133)

Joopson 05-08-2007 03:32 AM

The Blackened Isles

hi all,
I'm going to attempt to make a mod for Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. i do need ALOT of help with it, just visit this link:
http://www.theblackenedisles.joopsontoons.com

The reason why i am posting it in the WIP forum is because its going to be a huge project that i want to be good. so i need crits and comments.

also, if anyone is interested in helping me, just IM me, or post a comment here.

my AIM name is: Joopson

i will soon post up some WIP images, so get ready ^_^

-Andy

Joopson 05-08-2007 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just started a simple thing.

its called fort Wet-Dust

Xander-0 05-08-2007 05:02 AM

Given that this is 'simplymaya' (as opposed to 'simplymax'), are you attempting to make the models in maya?
Because last I knew, the models had to be made in 3ds max, and exported from there.

gster123 05-08-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xander-0
Given that this is 'simplymaya' (as opposed to 'simplymax'), are you attempting to make the models in maya?
Because last I knew, the models had to be made in 3ds max, and exported from there.

Surely you could just model them in maya then export them over??

mastone 05-08-2007 10:18 AM

do you have sketches and a sort of plan/storyline?
because i don't think it can be a succes otherwise.
If you have an image of a building and /or character, i wil be glad to help, never have worked on a game/mod before, but am willing to give it a go.

05-08-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
do you have sketches and a sort of plan/storyline?
because i don't think it can be a succes otherwise.
If you have an image of a building and /or character, i wil be glad to help, never have worked on a game/mod before, but am willing to give it a go.

Did you even visit the website he provided?

mastone 05-08-2007 10:37 AM

Yes i did saw some rough sketches and some of the models.
But for me those rough sketches aren't enough, i can make something from that picture, but it will probably not be as they want it to be.

I also saw a piece of text which described several locations, with some backgroundinformation, but not the storyline.
They described the buildings very good, but i don't know the restrictions and the exact style they are going for, that's why i asked for some images.

And because i don't live around the corner i think it is of vital importance to get the above mentioned just right.
It will prevent alot of do overs, i think.

Joopson 05-08-2007 02:34 PM

as i said, i am just starting it, so not everything is developed.

as for the exporting thing, i do have a plug in for Maya, so no worries there.

no real storyline yet, but there doesn't need to be a big one, maybe a bunch of side-quests. but i don't need all that yet, thats gonna be made when i start developing it in the TES construction set, and making all the characters and stuff, so no rush. :)

Mastone, i also just started this 2 or three days ago, so concepts are still in the works. but if a concept doesn't give enough information or detail or something, just model how you would think it would be. you know?

also, before i approve anyone to help, i need a sample of their low-poly work, so if you do want to contribute, just email me the picture, and ill say if you can help or not.

and if you look at the building descriptions, there is one concept picture in the click the link under "Vola-San", which shows you the average house in that town. those drawings are in development for all the towns, so just stay-tuned

mastone 05-08-2007 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok i've twiddled around with the sandcrawler thing, and this is the best i could do, i've made a quick texture for it but nothing fancy
The low poly mesh is approx 900 faces, i don't know the poly limit but i quess this isn't to much.
I've added a displacementmap to the low-polymesh.

mastone 05-08-2007 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's the sourceimage

Joopson 05-08-2007 11:43 PM

well, thats for a different project, that hit a dead end.
but it looks OK, but the game engine for morrowind doesnt support normal maps or displacement maps, or even bump maps.

sorry if you got the things mixed up, that is from BlackRing studios, which sadly is in a coma, haha.

Xander-0 06-08-2007 03:55 AM

where did you find the exporter? I'd like a copy, so that I can put stuff into morrowwind, too.

thanks!

Joopson 06-08-2007 04:16 AM

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=166115

its right there ^_^

The Architect 06-08-2007 04:30 AM

Joopson > 'I'm going to attempt to make a mod for Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.'

Looked around your site a bit and read the concepts and stuff. Its pretty intersting, especially the descriptions of the environs, towns and the Blood Vine. Are you going to refine these concepts further or do you plan to focus on the modelling and graphics?

mastone 06-08-2007 07:39 AM

sorry if you got the things mixed up, that is from BlackRing studios, which sadly is in a coma, haha.

:headbang: :headbang: why !!!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

If you have some conceptart ready. let it know mate(i suck at actual drawing, so would'nt be of much help there) and give the restrictions with it especially polycount since i can't mask anything with a bump or normal-map :p

Joopson 06-08-2007 02:53 PM

yeah architect, im soon gonna upload concepts of each of the descriptions,

and as for the poly counts, im not sure what the limits are, im looking into that.

Some Guy 06-08-2007 06:47 PM

I'm no expert at it but i recon the poly count could be up pretty high. It depends on what the engine can handle but since morrowind is an older game you could probably push the polygon count a bit over the limit.
Keep up the Good work :)

Joopson 06-08-2007 06:54 PM

yeah, but i want to make the polycounts match the rest of the game, so it doesn't look out of place

Joopson 07-08-2007 08:23 PM

when i say faces, i mean tri's

most monsters are 4000-5000 faces
books are 42 faces, or so.
a daedric claymore is 474 faces
a cuirass is 400 faces or so, depending on how much it costs.
a breton's head is 500 faces.

ask if you want more polycount info.

Joopson 13-08-2007 04:11 PM

I Added a new small island to the map, and updated the page with info!

http://theblackenedisles.joopsontoon...le_colored.jpg

thats it toward the top.

i've been working on it as often as i can, so eventually there will be a huge update to the page..... and a better layout and stuff. so stay tuned if possible!

mastone 17-08-2007 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've made a simple conceptsketch of vos fanos, like the way it popped into my mind when i read the descryption.
What style are the houses in roman, greek, viking, japanese.
Also what is the polycount of a house?
Does the size of a house matter much or are there sizes to be considered.

Joopson 17-08-2007 09:30 AM

i really like that, actually!
not how i pictured it, but that doesnt matter, haha.. want to help me with the project?
if so, what position would you want?

-Modeler
-Concept Artist
-Texturer
-or anything else, haha!

mastone 17-08-2007 04:59 PM

I'm willing to try it all.
If i have a hard look at myself i think moddeling is my best skill in maya at the moment, but i know how to uvunwrap models and how to paint textures(i use zbrush to paint textures ).
The only thing i'm not good enough at , is animation, but i'm learning, i know how to build the skeleton and all and i have some documentation that i can fall back on in case i get stuck.
The conceptart i posted here is also pretty much the skill level i'm at at the moment, i like to do it though, so if i can help you with that, i will.
Here
is a link to the studio i followed my 3d course it has some examples of my work, you can find my e-mail adress there also.
You can also look at the post i have here(it's the yodapost) for examples of my work, i use this project to learn the various skills needed to become an allround 3d artist, so if you look there you can decide for yourself what you want me to do.

Joopson 17-08-2007 10:57 PM

ok, Mastone, you are in as a modeler. ill email you today and tell you the details.

-Andy

Dutch 26-08-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joopson
as for the exporting thing, i do have a plug in for Maya, so no worries there.
Joopson, could I ask where you obtained the export plugin and what versions of Maya it works with? I'd like to get my hands on it if possible.

Joopson 26-08-2007 10:49 PM

i already posted up a link, on th first page.

http://sourceforge.net/project/show...ckage_id=166115

there it is again

Dutch 27-08-2007 09:56 AM

Terribly sorry. Must have missed the first link. Thanks.

Joopson 28-08-2007 04:08 PM

here is an axe i just modeled for it, it is one of many already done, but im not posting the others yet ^_^

http://www.theblackenedisles.joopson..._curvestem.jpg

mastone 10-09-2007 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i've made the vos fanos harbor entrance(based on conceptsketch).

Joopson 10-09-2007 06:08 PM

the waves make the scale look very small, like the opening is less than 1 meter, or something. would you mind posting it with just a flat, partially transparent blue material on the water? it will make the scale more understandable, because as it is, compared to the house, the waves are HUGE..

other than that, i like it, can you also show a wireframe?

-Andy:beer:

Joopson 26-09-2007 05:49 PM

anyway, anyone else willing to help?

we really do need as much help as we can get.

we have more info up on that site:beer:

-Andy

Joopson 14-10-2007 08:21 AM

"ciffity cough*

we need some concept artists at the moment

anyone?

wasatch5_sparticus 15-10-2007 01:20 AM

What kind of stuff are you looking for? I might be able to do some concept for you over the next week.

Sparticus

Joopson 15-10-2007 02:30 AM

ok dude,
i like your drawings alot!
... would you mind drawing some medieval type things? pretty much anything, houses, Objects, creatures, anything you want. just try to keep it in the central theme.

thanks alot if you can!
-Andy

The Architect 15-10-2007 02:34 AM

Joopson > '...would you mind drawing some medieval type things? pretty much anything, houses, Objects, creatures, anything you want. just try to keep it in the central theme.'

Umm... you forgot the mythology stuff...

Joopson 15-10-2007 03:04 AM

no, i didnt forget ;)

but, mythology wont be what makes up the bulk of things.

mythological stuff will only be a certain places

-Andy