Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Jr.Who - W.I.P. - Pirate Ship (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28763)

AikoWorld 24-02-2008 03:37 PM

smooth out the sails

try to make the sails translucence

also the sails colour could use a more yellow/braun/orange tint

the wood board should be along side the boat (the deck)

the angle of the view makes the boat look miniature.

the waves could use some differences.

the wood texture looks a bit flat, no realism.

Anyways keep it up, don`t update if you have a different view :) then me.

24-02-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AikoWorld
smooth out the sails

try to make the sails translucence

also the sails colour could use a more yellow/braun/orange tint

the wood board should be along side the boat (the deck)

the angle of the view makes the boat look miniature.

the waves could use some differences.

the wood texture looks a bit flat, no realism.

Anyways keep it up, don`t update if you have a different view :) then me.

I can smooth out the sails and try to put some transparency on it. Don't really know what you mean about the boards… you mean the ones on the deck should be going horizontal (in the view that it's set up for)? The waves actually look fine to me. I've been studying how water acts in large bodies, and it does look repetitious in the real world.

About the ship looking small and the flatness, it's because of the size of the image. These small Quantel NTSC preset sizes don't do it any justice. ;)

Thanks for the crits, I'll try to get them finished off tomorrow, as I have some things to do tonight… :zzz:

arran 24-02-2008 08:23 PM

it's not too bad, but as others have said, the sails are letting this down. also, again, the boat is sitting way too high in the water. a good bit of the boat would be under water - at the moment it just looks like it's really light. keep at it!

AikoWorld 25-02-2008 02:01 AM

yes the floorboards should go horizontally, as far as i can remember wooden ships

25-02-2008 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just smoothed out the sails, put some transparency on them, changed their color, fixed the deck, and put the ship down some more.

Aiko, I was thinking about it being too small again and I think it's because Kurt always goes for that cartoony look in his projects.

C&C appreciated.
:beer:

arran 25-02-2008 01:01 PM

yep - that's already looking a ton better! :)

AikoWorld 25-02-2008 01:13 PM

jup that looks much better, very cool man :)

keep up the good work.

mmoore5553 25-02-2008 01:23 PM

looks really good ..only thing ..maybe just me ..the sail at the very front ...too me just looks out of place. .maybe not even have it or it is how the sail is attached ..but great work mate

25-02-2008 05:21 PM

Thanks a lot guys! I'll be updating the website tomorrow with the smoothed out HD images.
:beer:

DJbLAZER 26-02-2008 04:29 AM

There are some things you can do to make it look big.

One is to put the camera under the object to look up to it.

Another trick is to have other objects in the scene that the viewer know the real size of and can compare other objects to. For example humans, birds etc.

alexanderH 26-02-2008 06:48 AM

hey Jr Who
I was checking out your website and the HD images do much more justice to this ship. I like it a lot better when you can see the detail work you have done. For the sake of having 640x480 renders here I think you should be zommed in a lot more, and not trying to capture the whole ship, but pieces of it over several renders so we can get an idea of the scale for one, and all the detail you have worked so hard on.

This is really shaping up well and I hope you fix that ocean/wake problem.

26-02-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
There are some things you can do to make it look big.

One is to put the camera under the object to look up to it.

Another trick is to have other objects in the scene that the viewer know the real size of and can compare other objects to. For example humans, birds etc.

Meh, I'm not going to get overly concerned over it, as I'm getting a very excited over my next project. I'm also almost done with a secret project that I've been working on a little. Maybe if you're lucky I'll post something on it today.

Oh, BTW, I might need your help in particular a lot for my next project. ;)

Quote:

Originally posted by alexanderH
hey Jr Who
I was checking out your website and the HD images do much more justice to this ship. I like it a lot better when you can see the detail work you have done. For the sake of having 640x480 renders here I think you should be zommed in a lot more, and not trying to capture the whole ship, but pieces of it over several renders so we can get an idea of the scale for one, and all the detail you have worked so hard on.

Thanks a lot.

You mean kinda like how I did the sails when I was UV mapping them? That's a great idea!

alexanderH 26-02-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who

You mean kinda like how I did the sails when I was UV mapping them? That's a great idea!

Precisely!

26-02-2008 02:08 PM

Had some last minute things to tweak, but I got the finished thread put up!

http://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=29102