Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   IndianaJones (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29188)

honestdom 18-01-2009 11:31 PM

nice one man, i can see the scar much more on the second render. :)

mastone 19-01-2009 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've tweaked the texture abit(matched the colors from different source materials in PS, painted away a couple of highlights and so on.)

I also started making his scruff( his beard), using maya Fur but I can't get it to work, but maybe that's just the sleep deprivation talking :-P
Does anyone know how to get this working, or maybe an easier way?(yes i'm lazy)
And tips on how to create his hair without using Maya hair would be great aswell, i think i will do it with Alpha hair, but if anyone has better idea that would be great
:beer:

mastone 19-01-2009 11:25 PM

I think i found it, i think i just have to up the density, because i double the size of the render and i saw everything more clearly.

pbman 21-01-2009 04:56 PM

nice work dude,

i think he should be asking, now wher the hell are my eyebrows?

are u painting them in or using a hair system?

mastone 21-01-2009 08:18 PM

nice work dude,
Thanks

" i think he should be asking, now wher the hell are my eyebrows"
Probably in the church where he left them :)

" are u painting them in or using a hair system"
Hair probably on another mesh behind it, the same goes for the hair on his head which i actually started yesterday but i forgot how tiresome controlling the hair plugin is sometimes

pbman 21-01-2009 09:39 PM

yeah, im not a real fan of mayas hair system or u using shave and cut or wahteva its called

stubble texture look nice though, just enough definition for it

keep it up

mastone 22-01-2009 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks

I've worked on the scruff for a bit and i think it looks nice,
I fiddled with the hair aswell, but it turns out that maya hair doesn't "understand" HDRI and renders nice and black.
Fur doesn't understand hdri either probably but that doesn't matter because that still looks good.

For the hair i'll probably use rectangular planes with a number of subdivisions on them and make them NCloth objects so that it falls naturally.
If anyone has a brighter idea let me know

mastone 24-01-2009 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am busy working on the body and i am wondering if the proportions are ok.
So maybe some fresh pair of eyes see something that's off

mastone 24-01-2009 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Refined the shirt some more, hope you like it:beer:

gster123 25-01-2009 12:31 AM

Can you post a front and side, without the background, make it a lot easier to see

mastone 25-01-2009 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gster

Here they are

mastone 23-05-2009 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Small update(no beauty passes sorry :) )
I have redone basically everything aside from the head and the hat,

I still have to model the Gun(in holster = easier :) )
his hands, his whip and some small attributes(like buttons, shoe-laces, belt etc_)
and then still the texturing part :eek:

Mayaniac 24-05-2009 05:34 PM

looking good.... I like the renders.... they might be a bit dark, but they look good.

Nice work!

mastone 24-05-2009 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@Mayaniac
Thanks and the renders are dark because;
-Only image based rendering, no lights whatsoever (and my guess is that it's an 8 bit image)
-Al materials except the eyes are lambert no sss or blinns which makes it kinda flat
But yes you' re right my renders always seem to be a tad dark

Finished some more work today;
did some work on the attributes layed out some UV's and started experimenting with Mudbox for a change (still have to install ZBrush but forgot to take the serialkey with me from work) and textured the hat a bit

mastone 24-05-2009 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the overall progress

mastone 01-06-2009 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tweaked some stuff, started texturing a bit(not nearly finished):beer:

ColdWave 03-06-2009 11:42 PM

Mastone one thing i notice is the form of the clothes... if you think of the way clothes stay on your body they follow your body structure. Muscles, bones ( if you are skinny ) now i'm looking @ your model and i don't have the feeling he have any body structure ...

besides the head looks awsome ! :beer:

mastone 04-06-2009 09:29 PM

Hi Coldwave

Thanks for your comment and yes you're right, the shirt needs more definition.
To add to my defence though; i couldn't get the displacement right from the map i got from Mudbox and on top of that i am waiting for my wacom tablet to arrive and painted everything with a mouse which was quite annoying it's doable but somehow i can't add the detail i want to in the way i want to :headbang:

if i have time this weekend (and i have my Wacom here) i will awe you with some sculpting skills you've never seen before( no pressure no diamonds LOL)-only joking off course-.

meredith 04-06-2009 10:29 PM

Dam thats one ugly tan line on his chest! :eek:
Nah, awesome job bro! I would soo give up to model organic models if i could. Your acing it!
Mark

ColdWave 04-06-2009 10:31 PM

Dude ... i know what is to do sculpt with mouse. I do it as well :D but the difference is that i won't get a wacom soon (dull).

Waiting for progress looks really nice so far just fix that and it will be awesome model !!!!

mastone 05-06-2009 06:48 PM

If you guys(and gals off course) watch the news tomorrow and suddenly get a newsflash about a guy in the Netherlands who is on a killingspree, killing of all couriers that work near or around Amsterdam, don't be surprised if it is about me;

I bought the tablet online and told the company to send it to my workadress so i was sure i had the tablet today, which al worked out.
I received a track and trace number from which i could see where my package was;
At 10 in the morning i checked it said that it was still on the delivery route, so i went back to work hoping to see a courier any moment.
Just before lunch i checked again and it was still on the delivery route according to the website. so after i ate i went back to work, but before that i send a mail to the couriercompany asking if they expected to come nearby amsterdam anywhere in this century.
Around 15:00 i checked the site again and it said it was delivered and signed by someone unknown to me and doesn't work at my company so i called them and they said they delivered it to a company just around the corner at 8:30 in the morning and left a note in the mailbox, so i ran to the mailbox got the paper and with a mixture of happiness and rabbies, for lack of better words i ran to the company that was a mere 50 meters away where it was laying there doing nothing and just around the corner.......and closed at 14:00 on fridays.
And iin case your wondering no they are not open at saturday nor sunday, so it will have to wait until monday.

So tonight i am going to have some good times with my best friends Johnny Walker and Jack Daniels and tomorrow the headlines i shall be known through out history as the courierkiller LOL

@ meredith;
" Dam thats one ugly tan line on his chest!"
And you are lucky not to be a dutch courier :)
And thanks for the compliment

@ColdWave;
" i know what is to do sculpt with mouse. I do it as well"
It's good to know that i am not alone with this illnes called mousesculpting.
I don't know how much money you've got or what Wacoms cost in bulgary, but i got my new Wacom intuos 3 at a 50% end of life discount since they will be replaced by the new intuos 4, at first i wanted the new one(they look pretty slick if you ask me), but then reason kicked in; i only sculpt and texture with it, in maya/max/motionbuilder/fusion i use a mouse i can't seem to get used to a pen workflow in those packages and the intuos 3 cost me 270 Euro inc Vat and the Intuos 4 would cost me 470 Euro inc Vat so to me that is a no brainer.
I am sure that everywhere else they have a similar discount on "old " models so i would certainly scour the internet if i were you:beer:

ColdWave 05-06-2009 08:10 PM

Buddy here for 8h working per day the salary for one month is 270EURO or less... What should i eat ... but whatever. I must work about 4-5 months to afford this :) I'm looking for 50 Euro model :blush: .

Yeah like you mouse work flow in maya etc.. is best and i have not in my mind to change the way i work ;)

Just need the Tablet only to make normal maps + textures that's all :)

P.s And to learn some concept drawing in Photoshop... :blush:

p.s 2 still waiting for progress. Did you have in mind to animate it ?

mastone 05-06-2009 09:34 PM

"........ Buddy here for 8h working per day the salary for one month is 270EURO or less... "

- i am sorry i didn't mean to offend you:blush:

I also apologize to the answer i gave on your thread on forehand because i know that i said something there that could be interpreted as insulting, it wasn't meant like that

but surely Wacoms would be cheaper where you live right, if they charge 270 euro for a tablet no one will buy it?

I will work on Indy tomorrow or the day after when i have time, i was to distraught this evening, in mourning if you will LOL

ColdWave 05-06-2009 09:37 PM

its 300 Euro !! Here can you imagine .... my country is full of MAFIA ! :angery: :headbang: And we the other people not selling weapons,drugs and not making deals ... are getting it :headbang: But i hope soon i will move from here :)

mastone 05-06-2009 10:31 PM

It shows character that you not take the easy way and it will be a loss for Bulgaria if people like you will leave it.
It will create a climate of hopelessness and in a climate such as this criminal organisations thrive.

I understand your desire to leave and get a better life somewhere else, so i try not to judge you, but surely you have some younger relatives maybe even some children of your own, they need rolemodels that showw them a hard but correct way instead of the easy way?

I mean you guys are in the europian union, for all it's other flaws it will drag bulgaria from the shadow protecting it give them a strong currency which benefits export and trade in general and in the long run your country will get a bit richer whilest the rich countries get a bit poorer leveling everything out.
Crime and corruption will drop in my believe since those things stem from poverty and lack of futureprospect.

Chirone 05-06-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
If you guys(and gals off course) watch the news tomorrow and suddenly get a newsflash about a guy in the Netherlands who is on a killingspree, killing of all couriers that work near or around Amsterdam, don't be surprised if it is about me;
i thought this was actually going to appear on the news...
that sucks... you'd think they'd get the delivery adress right....

coldwave, could you get a cheaper non-wacom tablet?

ColdWave 06-06-2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chirone
i thought this was actually going to appear on the news...
that sucks... you'd think they'd get the delivery adress right....

coldwave, could you get a cheaper non-wacom tablet?

Well i've talk with some people but non-wacome tablets just make so much trouble. So for now i'm going for wacome but i will get the money somehow ;)....

Lets stop talking about that ... and continue the thread pls

mastone 19-08-2009 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it's been quite a while and it might be a bit of a disappointment for people who are expecting great things but after a"little pause" and another look at the model without the textures i saw that there was still something not right.
I have made some revisions on his head as you can see below so if any of you spot something than that would be great :)

gster123 19-08-2009 03:53 PM

Looks a lot better!

mastone 19-08-2009 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks it was a bit of a splinter in my eye, i kept looking at the model and felt that there was something wrong so i pressed the renderbutton over and over again, but your mind plays tricks on you after a while i guess because after a while i didn't see it anymore.
But when i picked it up again yesterday it suddenly became clear what was wrong so i started revisioning his head .
I dropped is jaw a bit to elongue the head a bit

Chirone 19-08-2009 09:15 PM

looks like there is something wrong with the eyes... not sure how to describe it though

mastone 19-08-2009 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess you meant the corner of the eyes made him look a bit " oriental right ?
Or do you mean topology wise , then please (try to) explain, i have fiddled with his head some more pulled the corner of his eyes a bit down(little below the iris) and some other things which most of you probably won't see,unless you layed the picture next to a previous render.
There is still a harsh line on his browridge but that i will do away tomorrow when I have some time again

mastone 21-08-2009 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well spent an hour tweaking the head model a bit.
I did a little render to check up on inconsistencies, model wise i didn't see any major stuff any more although i found that dr jones wass looking crosseyed in my rendered sequence which i found a bit odd since when i look in my topview the geometry of the eyes are perfectly aligned with the grid ????
see image could it be a lens effect or some other optical illusion?

Here is the link to the testround
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&v=5R2d6lcxhuk

ColdWave 21-08-2009 09:46 PM

Work a bit more on body topology.
Right now the shoulders looks a bit odd and some other stuffs on the chest and arms...

Take some reffs from google...

Nice work so far go till the end with this model pls !

mastone 27-08-2009 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been working on the head some more
And it's starting to get there C & C appreciated

Link to bigger Image

http://www.3dhype.com/leden/784/big_..._cleanedup.jpg

mastone 27-08-2009 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fiddled with the texture , i basically applied the same texture from the first testrender but since the model somehow lost his uv map i did an automatic mapping and used zproject in Zbrush to paint it on the model again.

I am however not all to happy with the color and resolution of the texture so i will try polypainting in ZBrush to get a better result with a tad more control on where to put what

ColdWave 28-08-2009 12:27 AM

Well mate ... it's very bad not to layout your uv's... In my opinion the work flow must be straight

modeling
layout uvs
Zbrushing
Normal mapping if need
texturing... shading

so on..

don't miss a step and just tell yourself ok Automatic will do the work :)

Just my opinion

Good work btw :beer:

Mayaniac 28-08-2009 12:30 AM

Yeah, the automatic maps will work fine for testing your textures, and such. But, if you want to use this for anything outside of ZB... you will need to UV it properly... for the best results that is.

mastone 28-08-2009 12:36 AM

I will lay out the UV's manually, but i just wanted to have a quick look and the texture was already made but to my horror the uv's were gone so relax guys take a deep breath LOL:beer:

honestdom 28-08-2009 12:39 AM

is it just me or is he a bit cross eyed?