Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   IndianaJones (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29188)

Nilla 07-11-2010 07:09 PM

mastone you just made me laugh, I haven't read your thread before and those initial eyebrows were just super:) It's shaped up really nicely since then, good resemblence on the model.

I just wanted to give you a tip on the light leak because it's quite distracting, you should try setting up a blocker it's a very common thing to do when you have these problems I use it a lot in rooms where the walls are just one poly thick because this can cause leaks even if you have geometry properly merged sometimes. It looks like your leak's happening in a very narrow area where the hat bends, so either add some thickness or create the blocker from a plane or thin cube and make it very narrow so it doesn't cast shadows on the rest of the hat, from what I can see you just need to cover the edge at the seam. If you go into render stats and turn of primary visibility it won't be visible in your renders, and if you're going for a still at the right angle it would save you some time.

For the skin I think he's looking a bit to pale now, at least on my monitor, when you get back to textures again try working on the material and getting some spec to bring it to life. I'm not sure where you're doing your final renders, but even if it's not in Maya you might want to check out Zap Andersson's tut http://www.lamrug.org/resources/skintips.html on sss shaders because it covers a bit about light scatter on skin and could be used as a reference for other materials. I found it very helpful a while back when I was rendering with some of Kurt's old color maps.

Look forward to seeing the new improved eyebrows:)

mastone 08-11-2010 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Miss Nova
Thanks for the tips and glad I made you laugh :p

I have been fiddling with the jaw and I can't seem to decide what looks best broad or narrow I tend to go for the broad jaw since I am making a middle age Indy.

I will decide tomorrow when my head is clear :)

mastone 08-11-2010 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made something to make Miss Nova smile again LOL
I decided to go for an intermediate jaw width

And did a rough paintover to get a bit of an idea ( and also because I am lazy and don't want to do all the fur tweaking and such :P )

Nilla 09-11-2010 06:39 PM

Actually I can see where you're going with that one:) With some tweaks it should look really good, adds a lot to the look.

mastone 09-11-2010 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I nailed it down, please feel free to crit , if you guys don't spot anything I will proceed to finalizing ;)

Chirone 09-11-2010 11:29 PM

there seems to now be vertical creases on his neck around where his throat is

mastone 10-11-2010 09:32 PM

Hi Chirone

Yeah I noticed, I think it is a texture artifact or maybe a hard edge or something..:beer:

mastone 13-11-2010 12:03 AM

ARGGGH ZBRUSH DISPLACEMENT

1 Attachment(s)
Have been trying to set up a displacement shader in renderman, but somehow I can't seem to get a decent displacement map out of ZBrush.

As you see in the image below on the top left is the displacement map i got out of Zbrush and did a testrender with the topright image as a result, now I know ( or think I do), that Maya calculates from neutral grey ( which is 128 in r,g and b)so I scaled down to 16 bit tiff and did some grading on the image which resulted in the below two pictures, as you can see that testrender looks a lot better than his predesessor , but stil not nearly good enough.

I use Zbrush4 which has the multimap exporter instead of the old way ( with the code) and I can't seem to get a decent displacement out of it, I really don't like ( bliep) -ing around in PS or NUKE or whatever to get the grading correct I just want to generate it straight out of ZBrush so if someone here could help, then that would be great

mastone 13-11-2010 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After an internet search I found out that I shouldn't have listened to the ZBrush recommendations ( I pressed get scale and set the Mid value back to 0....)
Once I figured that one out it was pretty much over and done with and the render did the rest.
I did find it strange that since I generated a 32 bit displacement map the values for alpha gain and offset didn't work anymore at 2.2 and -1.1 , I even went below 1 for the gain ( ???), ah well whatever works right?.

I also have been fiddling with SSS in Renderman, it's just a blinn with SSS properties( is something you can do with renderman) and I only chucked the colormap in the diffuse and tweaked the settings of the SSS by color( have no idea what the values do since if I turn all of them off except one, the SSS doesn't work anymore...grrr...).

I have put the settings in the image as well

C&C en tips are most welcome:beer:

mastone 06-02-2011 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been messin' around with dr jones, here's a link to an animated GIF:
http://www.eyellem.nl/DR_JONES.gif

C & C most welcome

bullet1968 07-02-2011 12:23 AM

Just a question..is his skin meant to be that shiny? near the collar bone?

mastone 07-02-2011 05:58 PM

Hi Bullet,

I think it's because of the high intensity backlight, if you look at the GIF sequence you"ll see it's only in the middle frame, I haven't tweaked the shader very much however, so it could be that reflectivity or specularity is still fairly high

mastone 16-02-2011 11:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have been fiddling with dr jones again.....C&C most welcome

mastone 21-02-2011 12:17 AM

Latest tweak...

http://www.eyellem.nl/Indiana_21Feb.gif

daverave 21-02-2011 12:38 AM

please mastone, will you finish this model off and go onto some thing else........dave

mastone 21-02-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverave (Post 314615)
please mastone, will you finish this model off and go onto some thing else........dave

Hahaha I will, but I use this as a study object and I tend to be a little perfectionistic, so I am sorry I am dragging you through torment....sorry ;)

tweetytunes 21-02-2011 11:30 AM

I say well done for sticking to it - I have so many unfinished projects now that I might go a have another go at - when I do I get results like my grimlock image - which I was very happy about.

It has the look of indy but maybe a little cartoon-e-ness at the same time. Not quite photoreal but def looking like him