Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Afro Samurai (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29696)

jali 22-04-2008 03:18 PM

Afro Samurai

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

I'm Having a go at modelling afro samurai (lowPoly), it was going well, however now i'm having trouble with his hair i dont have a clue how to create his hair, can anyone help, Mike or KURT if any of you guys reads this your advise would be appreciated.

some pics

the second pic is how i want the hiar to look, i did the hair in photoshop

jali 22-04-2008 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is how i want the hair to look in 3d, does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve, hiar was done in photoshop

starjsjswars 22-04-2008 03:21 PM

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tut...a/lowpolyHair/

jali 22-04-2008 03:51 PM

thanks!!:bow: i forgot all about this tutorial

leonlabyk 22-04-2008 05:39 PM

Great work so far Jali. I am a big fan and cannot wait to see you finish this with his crazy hair.

Keep up the great work mate.

jali 22-04-2008 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks leonlabyk, :attn:

heres a quick update, the hair geo's getting there slowly

jali 22-04-2008 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another pic:p

Rhetoric Camel 22-04-2008 09:34 PM

whoa, is this afro ninja? http://youtube.com/watch?v=BEtIoGQxqQs

This is looking pretty good, no crits yet though.. keep it up

starjsjswars 23-04-2008 02:21 AM

looking very good, upload some pictures when you texture the hair ;)

jali 23-04-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
whoa, is this afro ninja? http://youtube.com/watch?v=BEtIoGQxqQs

This is looking pretty good, no crits yet though.. keep it up

NOOOOO!!!! way:eek: my character is the coolest samurai there ever was, katana wielding AFRO SAMURAI,

jali 23-04-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by starjsjswars
looking very good, upload some pictures when you texture the hair ;)

THANKS MAN:attn: will post udates soon

jali 24-04-2008 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update:eek: worked on the arms,hands , feet and katana,

jali 24-04-2008 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the sword:ninja:And yes i do realise that it is not the exact same sword afro uses,i thought it wouldbe cool to model my own version

24-04-2008 09:26 AM

lookin pretty good man

only crit is the feet look huge compared to the hands... or maybe the other way around... idk its one of them :beer:

jali 24-04-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by acid44
lookin pretty good man

only crit is the feet look huge compared to the hands... or maybe the other way around... idk its one of them :beer:

damn it:headbang: you're right the feet are looking a little big, i'll fix it

NeoStrider 25-04-2008 01:46 PM

yea for those of you who don't know, afro samurai is a short but awesome anime whose main character's voice was dubbed by none other than samuel l. jackson.

jali 25-04-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoStrider
yea for those of you who don't know, afro samurai is a short but awesome anime whose main character's voice was dubbed by none other than samuel l. jackson.
you're correct!!!:attn: i hear they're making a second season:eek: ,

p.s will post some updates on sunday

younglion 25-04-2008 08:50 PM

very nice i really liked the afro samurai series, it was such a great show....anyways great looking character you have there is there a poly limit you are aiming for?

jali 26-04-2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by younglion
very nice i really liked the afro samurai series, it was such a great show....anyways great looking character you have there is there a poly limit you are aiming for?
hi

thanks for the reply, as for your question i was aiming for a poly limmit of no more the 4000 tris, which i am under by like a hundred tris:attn:

jali 26-04-2008 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
layed out the uv's will start texturing tomorrow;)

jali 04-05-2008 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
update, just used th 3d paint tool to mark out the detail, on afro, just to aid me while i texture:eek:

arran 04-05-2008 01:59 PM

oh wow - very nice jali! :)

one thing though - in the side view - it looks like he's leaning back too much. i can see you're going for a relaxed stance - i think you just need to work on the center weight of the character - maybe try pulling the pelvis and top half of the body forward and give the knee more of a bend.

jali 04-05-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by arran
oh wow - very nice jali! :)

one thing though - in the side view - it looks like he's leaning back too much. i can see you're going for a relaxed stance - i think you just need to work on the center weight of the character - maybe try pulling the pelvis and top half of the body forward and give the knee more of a bend.

Thanks man all these compliments are going to cause my head to swell:eek: about the leaning thing, yeah you're right but that is how he was in the reference pictures, how ever i will take on board what you have stated and make some changes

jali 05-05-2008 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
started texturing, needs alot of work, but at least its a start:p

jali 05-05-2008 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
close up of texture

jali 05-05-2008 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
textured the face looking o.k but needs more work:attn:

06-05-2008 01:08 PM

looking pretty cool man:beer: gj

jali 06-05-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

looking pretty cool man:beer: gj
thanks man!

but it does need alot of fixing up, as you can tell, will post some upadtes within the next few days

jali 09-05-2008 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
alright worked on the texture some more today, photoshop was acting like a real b!tch for some reason, still need to work on the hair, just added a black lambert to see what it could look like,

jali 10-05-2008 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
alright!!! almost at the finish line now:attn: ,

tweeked the texture some more today finaly did the hair, after alot of trouble, i think the hair came out preety good for my first ever attemt at alpha hair;) , the model stands at 3766 tris, however afater the alpha was applied i notices you could still see the scalp so i may add more hair geo:p

jali 10-05-2008 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another pic, weeeeee!!!!:eek:

10-05-2008 07:16 PM

looks wicked now that you've done somethin with the hair:beer:

jali 10-05-2008 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

looks wicked now that you've done somethin with the hair:beer:

thanks man!!!!!!!!!!:attn: this bad boys going stright to the front of my showreel, the textures still neet a little more work though, or maybe i'm too much of a perfectionist,

also heres the textured sword

NeoStrider 10-05-2008 10:31 PM

from the front view the hair looks amazing! there's some bald spots and distinct flat poly lines from the other two views... but it's definitely getting there!

jali 11-05-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoStrider
from the front view the hair looks amazing! there's some bald spots and distinct flat poly lines from the other two views... but it's definitely getting there!
thanks man!!, yeah i know, i didn't realise once the alpha was applied that the scalp would show through like that,

any advise on getting the hair to look better would be much appreciated,

i'm going to work on some more later today, i'm going to add more hair geo and see if that helps, hell i still have like 300 tris to spare so i suppose i might as well use them on the hair

leonlabyk 14-05-2008 04:17 AM

Turned out great Jali. Be good to see another update when you get the hair done.

Congrats :attn:

jali 14-05-2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by leonlabyk
Turned out great Jali. Be good to see another update when you get the hair done.

Congrats :attn:

thanks man:attn: yeah i haven't had much time to work on it, hopefully i should have some time tommorow, i'll post udates then, yeah!! i'm quiet proud of myself, it turned out better then i had imagined,

p.s i noticed your a senior member how did you reach that status?:bow:

leonlabyk 14-05-2008 06:20 AM

Quote:

[i]

p.s i noticed your a senior member how did you reach that status?:bow: [/B]
No Idea?

Anyhow keep up the good work mate

jali 15-05-2008 03:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
styled the hair geo to match afro's hair and worked the texture a little more, preety much finished now, just a few touch ups here and there and i'll be finished, i have to say though this was a really good learning experince, :attn: this is actually the 3rd model i have ever textured, so i'm still new to that side of things and was also the first time i ever used alpha masks, in conclusion a i had a relatively problem free pleasent time

jali 15-05-2008 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ready for my close up!!!!