Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Joopson - Summer Challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30453)

Joopson 02-08-2008 04:18 AM

thanks, I'm not done yet though! haha... ugh, I guess I'll UV map it today.... as much as I dont want too, haha

Joopson 03-08-2008 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, started UVing, and layed out an awful mock-up texture, haha

arran 04-08-2008 02:04 AM

yeah - that texture is looking a bit garish.. :)

really loving this piece though - good work mate.

Chirone 04-08-2008 02:20 AM

the metal frame looks great, looks like it's already taken damage

or is that just because Maya saves jpegs as low quality?

Joopson 04-08-2008 04:17 AM

Thanks, the frame is just a cast-iron texture I made, and cast Iron always looks old and ruined, haha.
But yeah, I will start the REAL texture today, but probably tomorrow ;), haha

THX1138 07-08-2008 03:55 AM

Very nice progress Joopson! :beer: How about some closer shots?

Joopson 07-08-2008 03:57 AM

I'll get right on that when I get back from camping in 3 days, which should be awesome!

Joopson 12-08-2008 06:27 PM

camping was amazing, except for the 12 hour hike, so now I need to get back to work, haha....
I'll update soon

Joopson 17-08-2008 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, back to business, I've been busy lately with some stuffs. Here is a bit more texture work, but it is still crap ;) I haven't done anything to the sewing part itself, but I improved the wood and added hinges and made the cast Iron more visible.

BennyK 17-08-2008 03:25 PM

Try increasing bump depth for the wood a bit. Also the iron texture looks stretched where the geometry's flat, and the edges there need to be softened I think. the sawing machine needs a lot of work but the model itself is pretty good... Waiting to see more progress on this.
Benny

Chirone 17-08-2008 03:41 PM

uh benny, i don't actually think he's done any work on the textures other than the wood, the rest of the textures are just tempory placeholders
the texture on the iron doesn't look any different to the previous render
and as he said, he hasn't done anything on the sewing part itself :p

but if i'm wrong then... woops... :alien:

it's a lot easier to see with a lighter background rather than the default black one
wood texture looks cool :)

arran 17-08-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chirone
uh benny, i don't actually think he's done any work on the textures other than the wood, the rest of the textures are just tempory placeholders
the texture on the iron doesn't look any different to the previous render
and as he said, he hasn't done anything on the sewing part itself :p

but if i'm wrong then... woops... :alien:

it's a lot easier to see with a lighter background rather than the default black one
wood texture looks cool :)

no, i think BennyK is right - the texture on the metal does look stretched - almost as if the uvs are sitting on top of each other - i was thinking the same thing - it's just easier to see in this image.

other than that, it's coming along nicely. :)

Joopson 18-08-2008 01:13 AM

Yeah, planar mapping :-p
but Chirone was right about how I have only worked on the wood so far, :).
I just need to tweak the planar mapping a bit, and it should take away any noticeable stretching.
thanks guys,
I will update hopefully later,
-Andy

Joopson 18-08-2008 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also, bennyK, I am using a normal map, and it looks bumpy enough in the viewport, but mental ray makes the bump weaker for whatever reason.

I will try to figure that out before my next update
Here it is in the viewport:

-Andy

Joopson 18-08-2008 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I managed to get rid of any noticeable stretching (hopefully), and now I will work on the texture some more.
Here it is sans-stretching