Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Cyclops (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32753)

Lion`I 17-07-2009 12:33 PM

Cyclops

Hey Everyone, I’ve recently started to model a Cyclops. This character will be low res so that i can rig, texture and animate him.

i will most likely send him to zbrush later for normal maps.

And at the moment I’ve completed modeling him, and doing the UVs for him.

So anyways I’m just having some doubts on how my UV's are laid out. What I mean is how i cut things, hope u know what i mean. So any suggestion?

Here is the model and the UvSnapshop

UV test

Lion`I 17-07-2009 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cyclops UV

Lion`I 17-07-2009 12:41 PM

WireFrame

Lion`I 17-07-2009 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Lion`I 17-07-2009 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
UvSnapShot

iamcreasy 17-07-2009 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
at white circle u will get some stretching.
at red circle u will face seam.
at white mark u texture will get squeezed.U might need to relax the uv of that place.

and also the center part of the armor.the connector.u will need to relax the uv on that place too.

rest is fine to me.....

....ohh..i forgot..good modeling!

where u r gonna use it?..game?

honestdom 17-07-2009 02:38 PM

tbh, the UVs looks fine to me, there are a couple of obvious seams but hey ho.

I would put the clothes on the same uv map tho... if you are making a game model.

Lion`I 17-07-2009 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
iamcreasy: Thanks for taking the time to point the parts out :beer: ive change the Uv's according to wat you said, so look at it and tell me if thats wat u mean...
and yeah thanks for saying its a good model. and im ganna be using it in short animation, im keeping low poly so that i wont face problems later when i rig him.

hammer.horror: Thanks for idea of putting cloth on top of the seams to cover the part, it was driving me crazy on how to deal with it so now ive put that. :attn:

iamcreasy 17-07-2009 04:35 PM

For animation...ok..but u dont have to maintain a low res model for rigging and animation.U can build a high poly model and use a proxy model to animate it.Though I dont have a clear idea abt it.

and abt the UV's all the issues, all are not solved.Try to maintain same looking/same size looking/similar looking(i dont know how to keep up with wht im trying to say)...to avoid and kind of mis-adjustment.;)

Lion`I 17-07-2009 04:58 PM

all UV's :(.... well i'm kind of new to laying out UV's, this might sound newbie but what i did to the stomach part u wanted me to fix, is i select the stomach UV's and went to file and clicked Relax... is that what u meant?

iamcreasy 18-07-2009 01:25 AM

dont worry...keep going!..

...waiting for update.

Lion`I 19-07-2009 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
at this moment im just droping down all the objects Uv's that will be in the short animation im doing.

so here is a simple animal cyclops, whos got chicken Comb on top of its head.

and a tank that will be added to the scene aswell.

the enviroment will be next.

right after all the uv's are done i'll be sending our cyclops friend to Zbrush :bandit:

Lion`I 19-07-2009 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Tank

ColdWave 19-07-2009 08:27 AM

Very nice and clean checker good job

iamcreasy 19-07-2009 08:42 AM

cute tank....:p

can u upload an image of the tank with "wireframe on shaded"...
and add some details if it dont give u that much pain.

and...good job..;)

Lion`I 19-07-2009 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guyz :D

For the tank i followed a real tank blue print, so here is the wireframe

:beer:

And yeah the environment scene will be uploaded soon

Lion`I 19-07-2009 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok here is a quick understanding of my environment scene to understand the placing of things for my animation

modification is under process :cool:

Lion`I 20-07-2009 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright here is an update.

Sculpted the Cyclops in Zbrush

C&C welcome

Lion`I 20-07-2009 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Zbrush to Maya

Quick render

Gen 20-07-2009 02:28 PM

Cyclops AND and tank lol woot. Share the animation when you're done :D

Lion`I 23-07-2009 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Texture update

wat do u guyz think?

Lion`I 25-07-2009 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cyclops animal

Lion`I 25-07-2009 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tank

ColdWave 26-07-2009 02:49 AM

You use shaders or make texture map ?

p.s on the tank

Lion`I 26-07-2009 03:13 AM

i made a Texture Map :nod:

iamcreasy 26-07-2009 12:47 PM

i would have prefered the tank as an avatar rather then the cyclops...lol..

ohh...good job!

Chirone 26-07-2009 09:35 PM

that tank is going places that my tank didn't :p

i think the turret looks too wide

hope you animate the treads with a dramatic close up! :D

also add a machine gun or two to the tank and soften the edges at the front :)

honestdom 26-07-2009 10:15 PM

that is a very reflective tank... also i'd bake an occlusion into the texture.

Lion`I 27-07-2009 05:09 AM

Thanks for the useful help guyz ;)

iamcreasy: i was just messing around with my user control panel, so i just randomly put the cyclops, lol maybe i'll change it.

Chirone: well its my first short animation so im just being creative, don’t worry those Cyclops wont ride the tank lol, it’s a story that’s got to do with time traveling and stuff hahahaha , anyways i'll fix on wat u have suggested. :D, and yeah about animating the treads might not happened, honestly i really wanted to animate but because of my storyboard it wont

hammer.horror: yeah i kinda notice that, i'll reduce the reflectivity, and about the occlusion baking on the texture, do u mean put a dirt shader? i dont really know much about baking occlusion, any quick info about it, thanks

Thanks all

:beer:

Lion`I 27-07-2009 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hammer.horror : is this wat you mean?

ColdWave 27-07-2009 07:11 AM

http://www.gamegringo.com/nextGen/surfaceTransfer.html

Read the part for occlusion map

ColdWave 27-07-2009 07:13 AM

delete this post mod sorry duplicate ...

Lion`I 27-07-2009 08:15 AM

sweet site, thanks alot ColdWave

Lion`I 06-08-2009 06:21 PM

Hey everyone. So I’m kind of done with finishing this short animation that I’m doing. I've done a playblast so that u can see it before render.

Since this is my first ever short animation, i just hope its alright.

Here is a short brief of my animation

" i wanted to keep my characters in a world of a one eye creatures"

“There are 2 characters one green and one yellow with armor"

“The green is call Boogy and the Yellow is called Gingo"

- so the story start off with a Boogy petting his animal "

then Gingo wakes up, and he's really hungry.

- Gingo then see's boogy's animal and he wants to eat it.

- Gingo then goes up to Boogy and tells him i want to eat ur animal, then Boogy says "no please dont eat him".

-Gingo hits Boogy to get his animal, BUT suddenly a weird sound occurred, Gingo then turns his head around and Shouts.

- he then charges to that area with Boogy and his pet.

- When they have reached they start to talk to each other saying "WHAT in the world is this" ( in their monster language which will have subtitle under final render animation ).

- they then start hitting the tank to check wat it is, Gingo then goes in the tank and Boogy start jumping happily on top of the tank.

- Gingo then finds a shinny thing in the tank and which will be a button written FIRE on it, in his head he thinks FIRE = camp fire.. So he sums up that, camp fire + Boogy's animal is equal to a delicious meal...

- Then just before he presses the button, Boogy coincidently is looking thru the Tank’s turret Hole

- Gingo Presses the button and BOOOOM!!!!!

- boogy takes a hard hit in the face

- Gingo then rushes out of the tank and goes to see wat happened, and he finds out that there is no fire and no meal only Boogy on the floor.

-Gingo then Laughs at Boogy.

- Gingo then takes the opportunity to taking Boogy's pet for a nice Feast

- The final scene will be after the credits and it will be showing that Boogy is still alive and crying because Gingo is eating his pet.

THE END..

Well I was just doing this short for learning purposes and I have learned a lot, and I thank you guyz for ur help as well. Just remember its my first. :D

so anyways ive Uploaded it in Youtube for u guyz 2 see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMFB6RcB0XQ

Darkover 13-08-2009 04:39 PM

Oh dear.... I was rather fond of that chicken cyclops thingy. Good job on all the models though.

Mayaniac 13-08-2009 06:52 PM

LOL

That was cool.

Gen 14-08-2009 03:34 AM

Ha, sweet. Now I want to see it rendered. I'm sure you already know this but the characters need some secondary animation and there was some volume loss, like when the ogre got whacked on the head while he was sitting. Still cool though, keep at it. :)

Lion`I 14-08-2009 05:11 AM

Thank you all for ur comments

Darkover: it’s nice to know that your fond of my character

Mayaniac: wait for the final render it will be cooler ;)

GecT: yeah your right about the secondary action, i will be fixing all of them very soon. ive already rendered and composited it. and i wasn’t so happy with it cuz like u said secondary action, but im in the process of fixing it. and since im in the process of learning, i will show you my Unfixed animation. it better to comment on that then the play blast lol..

i will post the URL once the upload is finish

Lion`I 14-08-2009 06:12 AM

alright its up on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ebLyXsSxo

Any kind of help would be appreciated

C&C

Gen 14-08-2009 07:50 PM

That was cool. Sucks for that chicken thingy lol. I liked the fact that it had direction and not just bumbling through the story.

I am keeping in mind that its a learning exercise and its your first.

Visuals : The models could use some refining, I see a lot of sharp edges. A lot of the textures seem to be too low res and in some cases off scale (very obvious on the hut and ground). There was some interpenetration, like when the ogre was petting the chicken thing and when he got smacked on the head and I think I saw a tree branch inside the cannon. The lighting could be improved, I see a lot of really dark areas, maybe try adding some more lights to fake some bounce light.

Sound: At a few points, it seemed like the voice talent was a bit too close to the mic. Also some nice ambient sounds would be awesome.