Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Materials & Textures (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Reprojecting UVs? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33334)

daverave 26-11-2009 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
some of what I have done

ben hobden 26-11-2009 12:15 PM

Im not giving up. But I was thinking about what u said about trying to learn too much too fast and I think you're right. I have really thrown myself in at the deep end with zbrush and been trying to cram learn. I need to be more patient.

your maya modelling is good. and the forms are coming on in zbrush, particularly the skull

daverave 26-11-2009 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry Ben I should have explained, the modelling for that model is finished, he is going to wear a coat so i will not model his chest, still a lot of work to do.....dave

ben hobden 26-11-2009 12:39 PM

ah, a soldier of the undead...?

ben hobden 26-11-2009 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was working on this character. But after an hour or so of work, i went to load him up in zbrush to carry on (this was about a week ago) and zbrush just kept crashing. Dont know why. But this is an image I got at the end of the first session.

daverave 26-11-2009 02:51 PM

Didnt you have a problem with poly count in zbrush, may be you have to change the settings again to bring a high poly count item in?

ben hobden 26-11-2009 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But I hadnt uved him, so I knew it was a bit of a non-starter anyway. Today I uved just his hat (im not very experienced with uv-ing) to try an experiment. I wasnt sure if you could both texture in photoshop and polypaint, kind of simultaneously. But I realised today you can, so I guess my next step is to uv the rest of the character and keep my fingers crossed z brush accepts him next time. Think I feel some modern warfare 2 coming on.

ben hobden 26-11-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by daverave
Didnt you have a problem with poly count in zbrush, may be you have to change the settings again to bring a high poly count item in?
yeah. I had had some problems when i was trying to go from level 5 to level 6 on a couple of the subtools. Really elongated waiting time between strokes and visible outcome, and sometimes just plain failing to up the level. But as I hadnt uv'd him I knew, like I say, it was a bit of a non-starter. I was still wondering about colour maps, and the whole uvlayout thing so it was almost 'a sign' I guess, that I ran into trouble. It also gave me the chance to add some more edge loops in maya, as some of the geometry was very light and struggling to take much/any detail at the mid-subdivision levels.

Dango77 26-11-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ben hobden
Think I feel some modern warfare 2 coming on.
Totally unrelated to the point of your thread (but your model is looking good so far!) but I was just wondering if we've ever done battle online, you on Xbox or PS3?

ben hobden 26-11-2009 04:54 PM

ps3. I go under the name 'cambodgienne'. There are a couple of pictures in my room by a famous french artist, I cant remember off the top of my head by who, one is a sketch of a dancer called 'la cambodgienne', i thought it would be easy to remember...

Dango77 26-11-2009 04:57 PM

Dammit, I'm on Xbox, nevermind, just would have been cool to battle with some people who are more familiar than "MegaDork$%^4837".....lol

ben hobden 26-11-2009 05:11 PM

ps...dango. I see your tagline under your name 'master of the 32 bit floating point.', so ...you are kind of related to this thread, even if your message isnt :bow:

honestdom 26-11-2009 05:34 PM

floating point is something different.... if dango is referring to colour that is.

ben hobden 26-11-2009 06:31 PM

oh. When I was reading about displacement maps, I read you could export them in the 32 bit floating point variety...

Dango77 26-11-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ben hobden
oh. When I was reading about displacement maps, I read you could export them in the 32 bit floating point variety...
Yep, that's what it refers to, although I'm not actually a "Grand master"....lol