Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   young girl (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33887)

Minstrel 16-03-2010 10:37 PM

young girl

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All, it has been a while since I have done anything on Maya and even longer since I posted anything here. Recently I started working on a girl's portrait, and I would very much welcome any CC you may have. The eyebrows are definitely not final.

Thanks

daverave 17-03-2010 08:40 AM

Hi Minstrel
You are most of the way there she looks like a girl, bit of a dark render. The things that dont look right are the middle of the forhead needs to go back a little, the bridge of the nose needs to come out and maybe the cheeks could be moved back a little........hope this helps Dave

Minstrel 17-03-2010 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi Dave, thx a lot for the comments. here is one of the reference pictures I am using. the bridge of the nose does seem to stick out on that picture more than on my model. Not sure if its the light or what. i have another reference picture of the same girl from the side and it is a copy of my model, so maybe is the light. I'll play with it. I need to start working on the shirt.

Thanks again

gster123 17-03-2010 09:35 PM

Hay man,

Is that your daughter? I remember seeing a baby model you did and looking at this is relly reminded me if that model! t is if you want it spot on)

Could be teh shadow but form the ref the nose looks a bit off, also it may be best having multiple angles as its a tad hard to se the matching (tha

Looking good so far. Are you going to texture it at all?

Cheers

Steve

daverave 17-03-2010 09:52 PM

Hi Minstrel
I think you need to moved the area on the sides of the nose (cheek area) back to get the result you need, when I was looking at her first I was think a older girl, looking at the eye might try a little bigger.............dave

honestdom 17-03-2010 11:29 PM

i think it could just be the lighting. There is a pretty clear terminator on the model, try some softer lighting.
looks good :)

Minstrel 18-03-2010 12:49 AM

Hey Steve, you are are correct :) And yes, definitely will be textured.

what dave suggested may be part of it...but yes, the contour of the nose needs to be a little better defined, perhaps it may have to do with the thickness of the nose at the top.

Thanks all for the help.

Minstrel 18-03-2010 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the model without a render. I made some small changes around the nose, but the difference is not that big to what i had before.

daverave 18-03-2010 03:21 PM

Hi Minstrel
Are you going to do the hair more like the reff...dave

Minstrel 18-03-2010 07:05 PM

to do it like that would be a different technique from what I did because of the level of control needed over individual hairs. the hair as you see so far is made up of 7 separate scalp sections and 7 separate hairs. My other constraint is the horse power of my computer. it may or may not render more easily with this other technique, but right now i reached pretty much the max number of hairs my computer will handle. that picture at the beginning of the thread took about 4 mins to render. My machine doesn't like hair it seems. I have 4Gigs on windows XP...so its really a lot less being used for rendering...

daverave 18-03-2010 08:19 PM

Hi Minstrel
You can follow this tut or just make curve and assign hair to them...dave

http://wargasm.fortawesome.com/tutor.../MayaHair.html

Minstrel 19-03-2010 02:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thx Dave, here is an update. lots of changes to the face...pushed the eyes slightly forward.

Minstrel 21-03-2010 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another small update...fine tuned the face a bit more.

ColdWave 21-03-2010 11:09 PM

Technique for the eyelashes and eyebrows ?

I personal made the eyelashes with alpha and paint the strokes. Can you share your technique.

And the technique for the eyebrows ? Pain the Uv map or used paintFX ...

Thx ...

Keep it up waiting for the SSS and textures :beer:

Minstrel 01-04-2010 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Playing with different hair style. its missing the pony tail at the back.

Mayaniac 01-04-2010 03:30 PM

Very nice model.

I think it you setup your lighting to match that of the image, then there won't be as many issues with resemblance. As it is your model seems to have a softer face, less defined (in form/presence). That's because the shadowing of the face merges with that of the neck. If you look at the photo reference, the face is highlighted until it breaks at the jaw line, giving way to shadow. This really defines the structure of the face, and gives it a lot more presence.

Your model might be a 100% accurate, but will not match the reference if the lighting doesn't match, so a lot of the time you (and others) might think the model if off somehow.

Just a thought, anyway, it's a really nice model - nice resemblance.

*EDIT* this latest image is getting very close to the reference's lighting.

Minstrel 24-07-2010 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All, I dropped this project for a few months. Going to try to get back into it. Started on the shirt, and played with the hair, my nightmare.

I'll fix the lighting more once i have the hair done and the sking texture done. I will re-do the eyebrows at some point.

daverave 24-07-2010 08:03 AM

if you have maya hair try attaching hair systems to curves, you can get good results quicky, if you need help with that let me know I will fined the tutorial thats on the net...........dave

mastone 25-07-2010 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Minstrel

Looks like a nice start.
The face is a bit of however, it looks to " adult" view the image for suggestions

Minstrel 26-07-2010 02:49 AM

Thx Mastone for the suggestions. Did you look at the reference picture i posted at the beginning of the thread? the ear could go a little more to the left towards the front of the face. it is also a bit too big. I do certainly appreciate the effort in your paint over. Once you take a look at the reference pic please let me know your thoughts.

Thx

mastone 26-07-2010 06:22 PM

I used the photo of the girl and painted over her face and turned of the visibility of the "girl -layer" which resulted in what you see above ( so I loaded in your render and the girl photo and above the girl I had an empty layer in which I painted the lines):beer:

Minstrel 27-07-2010 02:08 PM

hm...try scaling up those lines. they will fit closer to what i had. the ear is definitely a little too far back, i'll fix that.

Thanks!

Minstrel 01-08-2010 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
working on the model. Redoing a bunch of little things

Minstrel 13-08-2010 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Made more changes, and played with the lighting.

Minstrel 29-08-2010 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more changes

Minstrel 29-08-2010 02:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
same as above but different angle

NextDesign 12-09-2010 03:02 AM

I'm not really sure how you're judging your model properly when the image is so dark. Put in a few fill lights, and it will make your life much easier. (Also, turn on shadows on the lights. Shows creases better)

Minstrel 06-10-2010 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, thx for the comments. Here is an update on the hair. Going very slowly. What do you think?

daverave 06-10-2010 01:38 PM

Hi Minstrel
Could you put a lighter colour panel behind her, at the moment its a bit to dark...............dave

honestdom 06-10-2010 03:57 PM

looks great. i can see it just fine.

Minstrel 07-10-2010 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I updated quite a bit of things tonight. redid the mouth. made the eyes a tiny bit smaller. change the countour of the cheek just a tad. I also worked on the eyebrows. I only did the one looking at the camera. I'll do the other one tomorrow.

Minstrel 08-10-2010 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All, some minor tweaks to the eyes and mouth and hair. Lighting is temporary in this version, but i wanted to show the hair with a lighter background for cc.

ben hobden 08-10-2010 11:32 AM

This looks really nice Minstrel

daverave 08-10-2010 01:40 PM

Hi Minstrel
That is looking a lot better, the hair is OK but if you want the hair to look like your original referance you would need to assigne hair systems to curves (still shot) its not has hard as it sounds. Also you should start looking at textures and maybe fast skin shader (not that easy to set up).........hope that helps........dave

Minstrel 08-10-2010 06:22 PM

Thx Guys

Dave: I'm using 4 hair systems on the front, and 2 on the back. There is a low layer of thicker hair, a top layer of finer hair, a finer hair system for the edges, and a fourth hair system for the side burns. Those front hair stop at the head piece and the hair systems for the back start there. Those back hair systems are thicker hairs than the front ones. Doing it this way I used fewer and shorter hairs.

I also only did half the head. There is no hair on the side you can't see hair. Doing it this way is the only way I could render with FG without my computer crashing.

I used one separate scalp for each hair system.

The eyebrows have two hair systems each.

Eye lashes are polys.

I am going to model a simple shirt as well.

Agai, thx for feedback

Minstrel 08-10-2010 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the same as above with FG turned on.

honestdom 09-10-2010 12:54 AM

i'm no expert but to me this looks like the best hair i've seen on these forums.............................dom.

ben hobden 09-10-2010 01:14 AM

I'm slightly wondering the same thing. Is it just a texture? There was a guy here a while ago, who was making a roman soldier- type model. I think Jay spoke to him....I guess he would know who I mean, and that has been the closest kind of work that has been on these forums for a while.

Minstrel 11-10-2010 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys, no textures. That Roman guy was cool. I was never happy with the armor shader. Some day i'll revisit that. I am surprised you remember.

Here is a little progress on the torso. I am blocking out the shirt and the tank top underneath. I continue to play with the face as I notice things. The camera angle is slightly changed too.

Minstrel 16-10-2010 02:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been tweaking the face and the mouth. I am not convinced about the nose yet.