Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Hummer (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34362)

leonlabyk 20-08-2010 11:09 PM

Hummer

1 Attachment(s)
Been busy as have loads of models I need to create at the moment so my wolf project is gonna have to go on hold for a couple of weeks. Thought I would share one of the models that I am currently working on though.

leonlabyk 20-08-2010 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
some wires

leonlabyk 20-08-2010 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wire

leonlabyk 20-08-2010 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wire1

leonlabyk 20-08-2010 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wire2

leonlabyk 20-08-2010 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more

bullet1968 21-08-2010 06:11 AM

Impressive mate!!! Like the look in the first shot...gives it a surreal kinda look. Are you going to texture/paint?

cheers bullet

leonlabyk 21-08-2010 07:03 AM

Cheers bullet, Yeah am gonna texture it as soon as I get headus to layout the uv's. I used to use roadkill but no free version for the mac so am gonna purchase headus in the next couple of weeks. Have already uv'd the outer shell as I find hard surface stuff much easier, although there are a lot of characters I have made so I will be using headus mainly for that.

Gonna start the gun mount and underside next week.

bullet1968 21-08-2010 07:21 AM

Wow characters too!!! woo hoo cant wait to see this mate!!! I assumne a battle scene or similar??

mmmmm gun mount...drool LOL

cheers bullet

Just a thought...instead of the usual desert scene try an urban or even forest?? might be a change

leonlabyk 21-08-2010 07:37 AM

Unfortunately I cannot share to much of this as it is work related. I am able to show the hummer as they can be seen anywhere. Unfortunately it is gonna be a desert scene as that is what is required. I have attached one of the early images I created which shows a load of primitives where I have now put a small town although the scene now has a lot more depth.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...eeTerainV5.png

bullet1968 21-08-2010 08:21 AM

bummer for the hummer LOL oh well it al does look neato man....good luck with it for work..LOL I thought it may have been private...never mind...texture time will tell on the beast!

cheers bullet

daverave 21-08-2010 09:14 AM

Nice work leonlabyk, could you do a shot of the wheels...........thanks dave

21-08-2010 10:23 AM

That's some astonishing work man O_O

Is the desert landscape all done in maya?

leonlabyk 21-08-2010 10:55 AM

Cheers Guys, The landscape is done in vue although I will be setting up a scene in vue of yellowstone park in my wolf wip that is in the wip section. Should help show how I use maya, zbrush and vue together in my workflow and how to create landscapes from google map refs relatively quickly. Hope to be getting back to that in a couple of weeks and hope that some of the stuff I post may be of use.

I will get some pics of the tires up later today tomorrow although I may redo them as they did not come out great and need to get some more detail in there.

This tutorial pretty much shows how to do it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md8E3mm8ge0

Cheers

ben hobden 21-08-2010 11:23 AM

leon, where did you learn how to use vue? i have the 3d artist user guide and another book off amazon. have you found any good reference places other than cornucopia and geek at play etc?

bullet1968 21-08-2010 11:23 AM

I tried using the lanscape thing mate...couldnt get it to work?? I used pulldts after installing python script....couldnt get oit to work so I am VERY interested mate..if you have time one day? Being a Surveyor this COULD be something I could use at work as well.

cheer bullet

leonlabyk 21-08-2010 01:07 PM

Just learned vue from geek at play and messing around myself. I found the best way to create a terrain was to pull an image from google maps of the area I was wanting to recreate. I then convert this to a grayscale image and use photoshop to lessen black and white areas such as roads and buildings. I then use this image as an alpha brush in zbrush and project it onto a flat poly plane that has been subdivide a shed load. ( I will give an exact amount at a later date where I will try to go into more detail.) with the image projected onto the plane I use the layer brush on a low setting to raise the area. I can then use ref images to sculpt the look of the area inside zbrush as I now have a good template to work from. Once I am happy I can take the model into Vue and begin setting up materials and eco systems. I also try to keep roads and buildings in my alpha as I can now see faintly where they are on the model. This enables me to put the buildings and roads exactly where they should be inside Maya. This is a rough guide to my workflow on this although I will go into more detail on my other thread when I get the chance.

Below is a project I worked on some time ago. The area is in Norway and it was to promote the company's hydro power technology. Unfortunately I could not render out the full animation in time for them where the camera starts above the clouds and then goes across the landscape before moving underwater showing there technology. I am waiting on work to get a new version of vue in the next few weeks and will then hopefully render the full video as I need to be able to use vue in along with maya 2011. Also the render times on this are not terrible and are around 5 mins a frame at 720p. This is on a high end hp machine though as Vue does require a lot of processor power and ram.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d.../Processed.jpg

Not sure if my method will work for surveying as it is not 100 percent accurate and is more of a close representation of an area but hope it may be of use to you.

Cheers

bullet1968 21-08-2010 01:25 PM

That is nice mate...I like it! Nah not so much for accurate stuff...more to represent what the client perceives as his land etc.

Check this out mate....it may interest you. I believe you would be able to ose the PULLSDTS program by putting the heights in by hand and tricking the program.

cheers bullet

http://www.creativecrash.com/tutoria...placement#tabs

bullet1968 21-08-2010 01:27 PM

BTW mate...I couldnt get the program to run as per the other guys in the thread, I dont know programming so I gave up.

ben hobden 21-08-2010 04:50 PM

Cheers for breaking that down leon, I hadnt conidered exporting zbrush geometry to vue. Still early days in my study of the program, only rendered two things out so far, one of which is at the end of my matte painting thread. I shall keep an eye out for your yellowstone thread.

Congratulations by the way on the job. I remember way back when you were in the process of looking... A process I shall be starting myself soon. May pm you to get some ideas on where/how to go about it.

leonlabyk 14-09-2010 11:33 AM

Ok been working on a load of character riggs but finally got the modeling of this beast done. Will begin texturing soon.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...yk/Hmvcopy.png

Cheers Ben, mainly worked freelance for a couple of years but was close to quiting 3d as a career due to clients. Thankfully I finally now have a job and hope that the work I complete over the next 2 years will get me to where I hope to be.

leonlabyk 14-09-2010 11:38 AM

Another model I have been working on. Found a great script that allowed me to put the feathers on in know time. Still need to texture what lies under the feathers.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...byk/Falcon.jpg

bullet1968 14-09-2010 12:00 PM

DIG the falcon dude!! wow that is nice...the hummer looks pretty cool now it is an environment of sorts..cant wait for the texture!

cheers bullet

stwert 14-09-2010 04:23 PM

Great work on both! Love it. I can see a bit of sky through the feathers on the left wing though.

murambi 15-09-2010 09:11 AM

i love the hummer greatwork

leonlabyk 15-09-2010 10:47 AM

Cheers guys,

Does anyone know how I can rig a bird wing so all of the feathers collapse in. From what I have found on the net it seems to be a tricky one, and being that I want to create a true representation I will probably need to hire someone to do the rigging for me. Please let me know if any of you have any tips or experience in this field.

gster123 15-09-2010 12:32 PM

I would look into a set driven key, so when the wings fold the feathers rotate, use the joint rotation as teh driver and the feathers as the driven.

Great work so far.

Aurorap 19-09-2010 08:34 PM

That's awesome. I love all the details. Can't wait to see the texture. Cheers

honestdom 20-09-2010 09:45 AM

i think if you want a true representation, you should think about doing some fur/hair system.
I know the rigging on the duck in cadburys spots versus srtipes commercial was pretty tricky. that duck had a fur and hair system i believe. There were a few polygon feathers but not many.

i think the duck was rigged in a couple of different ways to try things out. sorry not sure about rigging things.

leonlabyk 05-10-2010 04:03 AM

Will have an update on the Falcon in a week or so. Decided to get a pro to rig it as I was going round in circles and not really getting anywhere near the results I wanted. Hopefully I will be able to work out the method to do it for future work as he is screen capturing the whole thing. I am currently setting up a black hawk and here is how things are at the mo.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...labyk/Hawk.jpg

leonlabyk 05-10-2010 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wire

daverave 05-10-2010 07:14 AM

Nice modelling.............dave

ben hobden 05-10-2010 11:52 AM

Really like the helicopter Leon. Im working on one myself at the moment, a hind.

Had a question for you.

Have you imported objs from Maya much into Vue. Do you have problems when you do so? (Geometry breaking, textures etc)

leonlabyk 05-10-2010 02:05 PM

Cheers guys,

Have not really had much trouble with importing obj's into vue. That said the best way is to use vue xstream. This way you can set up your ecosystems, materials etc for your scene in Vue. Then with Vue on your maya shelf you can open up the scene into maya. This basically enables you to have all of your maya models textures etc working within Maya.
There is a scale problem though, if you set up your scene in maya and then export the terrain into Vue, when you import this back into Maya the terrain will now be 50x larger I think. It all depends on how you go about setting up your terrains though. I prefer to create the terrain in zbrush as showed in the wolf thread in the wip section. If I import the obj into Maya and begin setting up the scene with models animation etc I will run into a scaling problem when exporting and importing the landscape to and from vue. It is easy to avoid as you simply take the terrain into vue 1st off. You can either begin work in vue or export the terrain as an obj. When opened in Maya the scale will be correct on this allowing you to begin animation, adding models etc as you can then delete the exported obj and open in the finished vue landscape once complete. I am not 100 percent on this though as I am still testing it on this hummer wip and the wolf one. I did complete a project where I set up a golden falcon and camera animation which I wanted to render with Vue but it was a bit of a headache and am hoping x stream will work out better. With that method I had to export the falcon with a geometry cache which was not to difficult but getting the camera animation into vue was much trickier. I cannot remember the exact method off the top of my head but if you need it let me know and I can give a run down of what I did.
Hope that helps and good luck with the hind, you got it on the site as it would be great to see.

ben hobden 05-10-2010 04:29 PM

Havnt posted it yet. Ive been having some problems with it - as Im box modelling it im having trouble with edge looping and getting the right balance between hard edges and parts where there are round shapes, and the structure that holds the cockpit windows isnt very good and Im thinking of redoing this part.

My confidence in modelling had gone up a notch recently and now this has knocked me back a little bit again. It is supposed to be a partcular Hind, but Im tempted now to simply 'base it' on the Hind, and model it out my own way. I will start up a wip thread soon.

Re: the xstream. I have Vue 8.5 Infinite and dont have the Xstream plug in. Ive only tried exporting a couple of objs to Vue from Maya, but they have distorted quite badly. I guess it's poor construction in Maya rather than the Vue's fault. I think the objects I exported were some buildings from a matte painting I did, the meshes were pretty crude/rudimentary.

ben hobden 05-10-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ben hobden
Havnt posted it yet. Ive been having some problems with it - as Im box modelling it im having trouble with edge looping and getting the right balance between hard edges and parts where there are round shapes, and the structure that holds the cockpit windows isnt very good and Im thinking of redoing this part.

My confidence in modelling had gone up a notch recently and now this has knocked me back a little bit again. It is supposed to be a partcular Hind, but Im tempted now to simply 'base it' on the Hind, and model it out my own way. I will start up a wip thread soon.

Re: the xstream. I have Vue 8.5 Infinite and dont have the Xstream plug in. Ive only tried exporting a couple of objs to Vue from Maya, but they have distorted quite badly. I guess it's poor construction in Maya rather than the Vue's fault. I think the objects I exported were some buildings from a matte painting I did, the meshes were pretty crude/rudimentary.

edit: posting now in wip

daverave 06-10-2010 01:49 PM

Hi leonlabyk
Do you do any hard edge modelling with out using the 3 button?, just a question..............dave

leonlabyk 07-10-2010 01:15 AM

Good point dave, when I am modeling stuff that is mainly hard edges I will only use the 3 key later on in the process. The main trick is to make sure that when you are modeling the base mesh you keep in mind where the edge loops will be so they flow along and around the mesh.

leonlabyk 08-10-2010 06:20 AM

Made some more progress on this and hope have the modeling finished up tomorrow evening.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...BlackHawk2.jpg

daverave 08-10-2010 06:32 AM

Thats realy nice, hope the texturing will be as good that would look great, is this going to be a animation..............dave