Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Minotaur - Continued (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34415)

vladimirjp 11-12-2010 07:39 PM

the body dont match the head imo. i would make him more bulky or less muscles

BrianM 11-12-2010 10:02 PM

What a great WIP, keep up the good work mate.

Mayaniac 11-12-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vladimirjp (Post 311301)
the body dont match the head imo. i would make him more bulky or less muscles

Hey Vlad, thanks for the feedback, don't know if I agree though. I may have been looking at it for too long though, but I was aiming for the heavy looking head, with the thick hide, and the more human (exaggerated) body anatomy like the original mythological descriptions... with a modern edge with the feet. Not that it really matters as he'll be covered in fur on those regions. Decided against sculpting the fur, though I did do a version with fur, but instead I'm going to use A Shave and Haircut to do the fur sim, as I feel it will look better in a production aimed portfolio.

Thanks for the feedback.

@Dave: Ok, no probs.

@BrianM: Cheers, appreciate the comments.

@Steve: Cheers man.... I'm not sure how you're meant to tell what hand the bows it meant for... I assume you are going based on the groove the arrow rests in? I've never touched a bow before in my life. lol, so any tips would be great.

gster123 13-12-2010 07:50 AM

Hi Steve,

Essentially the arrow goes on the side of the bow where the arm is holding it, so when you are at "full draw" it is nice and straight, if it is on the opposite side then there is quite a bit of movement to make it all straight.

ctbram 13-12-2010 02:28 PM

Magnificent! Just magnificent sculpting work mayaniac.

Mayaniac 14-12-2010 12:06 AM

Cheers Steve, Ok I'll flip the bow over... I'll get some better reference for long bows.

Thanks ctbram, I appreciate the comments.

murambi 18-12-2010 11:50 AM

damn steve did you model all that in zbrush or you had a base mesh brought in from maya

Mayaniac 18-12-2010 03:01 PM

Hey Raphael,

I sculpted it in Zbrush using Zspheres. Here's a pic of the simple zsphere setup.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...Doodle_002.jpg

He was later retopologised twice. Once to allow for more controlled sculpting and to give him proper hands.
I then retopologised him again with a production focused topology.

Chirone 18-12-2010 10:28 PM

"production focused topology"?

Mayaniac 19-12-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chirone (Post 311650)
"production focused topology"?

Just a topology designed for a production pipeline, as best I can mimic. So it will essentially be ready for rigging and animation further down the pipeline. I will probably play with some blendshapes too. Plus a fur sim. I just want to get the topo finalized. I'm working on another char at the mo too so I work on the minotaur when I can.

G-Man 19-12-2010 05:33 AM

I've been watching this since you first started the Thread Steve, but i don't think I've commented on it yet.
I love the way this char is taking shape. Has all the ear marks i have ever thought of when i envisioned a Minotaur.

For what its worth, Last night i was watching Narnia: Prince Caspian, and wishing that the Minotaur's looked more like this one then the way they looked in that movie.

G-man

mastone 23-12-2010 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like he's riding a chopper :) only joking off course.
I have dirtified your image to emphasize the following:
In general when blocking out your model try to adhere to the following guidelines:
Width of the body is 3 heads and the height somewhere between the 6-8 heads high, know I know that with a minotaur the head is relatively bigger to his body than a human, but I would still start from the proportions we expect to see as humans, it will keep your brain going from completely gaga by constantly adjustng width's and heights of the model...trust me I have been there ;).
Once you have some basic detailing done adjust volume and proportions where you see fit, trust me on this...the model will improve drastically when you keep at this workflow

Chirone 24-12-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastone (Post 311961)
Width of the body is 3 heads and the height somewhere between the 6-8 heads high

i'm going to look at people with this in mind from now on you know.... :ninja:

murambi 24-12-2010 05:21 AM

I think the head is that way by design clearly he knows he's proportions. Its a mythical beast it should look like whatever way he wants it to :)

honestdom 24-12-2010 10:42 AM

yeah i have to agree the proportions look good to me.