Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   February Challenge - Speed Machne - TwistedDragon33 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35058)

twisteddragon33 04-02-2011 12:50 AM

February Challenge - Speed Machne - TwistedDragon33

I want to get back into maya and i think this might be a good challenge for me. I will have to sketch out some designs before i start modeling so might be a few days before anything is started.

I've been checking out a lot of steampunk stuff lately and might be interesting. Futuristic has a sleek/stylish look and a natural "fast" feel....

twisteddragon33 04-02-2011 02:16 PM

I think i've decided on some sort of hover bike design. I'm not sure how i am going to flesh it out yet... hopefully i have time to try out 2 or 3 quick designs to see what looks best. Maybe a little "race" scene between 2 different designs.

twisteddragon33 07-02-2011 06:16 PM

Alright after many sketches and several restarts in maya i have decided to work on a toy i used to play with often when i was little. I had designed spaceship like crafts out of legos and used to play with them all the time. One good, one evil. I used to take them apart and put them back together so often i still recall the design.

I will take some liberties with it for detail/flow sake but hopefully i can get something going soon.

twisteddragon33 07-02-2011 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
finally got something up. Not much to look at as i am just fleshing out the base mesh. I hope to have the hard points fleshed out and modeled to put weapons and engines on them.

murambi 07-02-2011 09:45 PM

Hey man how you been hope all is well and welcome to the Feb challenge dont think ill be in this one though

twisteddragon33 07-02-2011 10:33 PM

I've been well but horribly busy with work. Hard to keep up with all of my responsibilities.

Jay 08-02-2011 07:37 AM

this one looks promising, look forward to more

J

bullet1968 08-02-2011 08:15 AM

good luck TD...this look good already LOL

twisteddragon33 09-02-2011 02:55 PM

I'm still not sure about this. I can make it look good but i think it would be too generic in the end. I may change the design again sadly, i just hope i have enough time.

bullet1968 09-02-2011 09:20 PM

To me it looks like a Starblazer cruiser mate....they have a nice design and LOTS of weapons...I like weapons. I think the basic concept is good mate...once you add some detail I think it will look a lot better...keep at it man.

Cheers bullet

twisteddragon33 09-02-2011 09:58 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did a little redesign of my initial plans but it doesn't effect anything i have already made thankfully. just the final design will be a little different but i hope it gives a better sense of speed.

Luckily Wednesdays are my slow day so i should be able to get some done on this tonight. Hopefully another render tonight that isn't as crappy.

twisteddragon33 11-02-2011 03:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh my goodness an update,

I finally settled on the design. The final shape is pretty much how i want it, which is great because now i can spend my endless hours at work sketching out how i want to morph the final design. The design was driving me nuts not finding something i liked.

I of course want to add more detail. This is just the rough outline.

bullet1968 11-02-2011 04:14 AM

My goodness an update! LOL...I dig the shape man...unusual for sure....guns?

twisteddragon33 11-02-2011 04:23 AM

Of course guns! None yet but i think you will be pleased with the final version.. :)

I already tweaked some and added some. Im not sure if the intake under the vehicle will make it to the final.

I wish i wasnt so busy with work and obligations. 3 hours a week isnt enough to get anything done in maya.

Jay 11-02-2011 08:02 AM

Awsome!!!

Great shape, it looks deadly mate. I personally wouldnt put guns on it as the shape alone is working so well, Also the holes in the ends of the 'wings' are they engines too?? as you have that monster of a thruster behind the cockpit area. Perhaps fill the holes for a more aero feel.

Just some food for thought, but otherwise I dig that shape totally - good job

Jay

twisteddragon33 11-02-2011 06:02 PM

Jay, those holes at the rear of the wings will hopefully make more sense in the final design but i agree if i cant utilize them correctly i may close them up. They are supposed to be engines.

My plans for the final design is a somewhat solid body with most items mounted to it. I hope the final looks like it does in my mind.

bullet1968 12-02-2011 12:35 AM

NOw I know what it looks like...it was bugging me, looks like my wifes hairclip! the front pods...nice one! Yeh I was wondering about the holes too....wasnt sure if you were going to open the front up as well....does look mean mate!

cheers bullet

CGWolfgang 12-02-2011 05:27 AM

Looking great Twisteddragon! I really like the sleek look you have!

twisteddragon33 13-02-2011 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a little more detail and fleshed it out. Cleaned the mesh up significantly. Tweaking some more then to the small details.

bullet1968 13-02-2011 06:30 AM

Looks nice mate...what happened to the pods? they just hidden?

cheers bullet

twisteddragon33 13-02-2011 03:19 PM

pods will be in the final. still tweaking them at the moment. Im not sure if i like the front intake... I may be getting rid of it or redesigning it. Any ideas?

THX1138 13-02-2011 04:37 PM

Looks great twisteddragon. It seems to have a starwars flavor to it. Are you using references from it?

twisteddragon33 13-02-2011 10:18 PM

It does look like starwars to me too, but im not using any references anymore. My original references were for a hove rbike idea that i scrapped so im just going off random sketches ive been doing.

twisteddragon33 14-02-2011 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to do away with the intake on the front. it looked like a giant bugle or something so i took it out. Added some detail to the wings.

I want to make the vehicle look like a giant three pronged flying blade like a sai or a trident. So im trying for a sharp, blade like feeling over the whole thing.

bullet1968 14-02-2011 05:36 AM

Well it does look like the pitchfork I bought yesterday...though it looks a whole lot deadlier mate...looking nice shapewise..it certainly looks 'sharper' without the scoop I agree.

cheers bullet

THX1138 14-02-2011 11:36 AM

I liked the previous design better twisteddragon. It had a X-wing/ Jedi star fighter feel to it, but you went and changed it...............

twisteddragon33 14-02-2011 05:51 PM

I agree it had more of a starwars feel to it, but i wanted a Speed feel to it. I rarely got the sense of speed in starwars(with the exception of speeder bikes of course).

I may go back and modify the nose again but for now its good.

twisteddragon33 18-02-2011 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Changed some of the design a bit, shortened the main body a bit and incorperated the engine inside the body. Changed the shape of the wing blades a little but those may be tweaked more.

I want more detail on the wings im just not sure what to do with them...

twisteddragon33 18-02-2011 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and the front

bullet1968 18-02-2011 07:31 AM

Lookin good mate...looking good...I see you went back to an intake on the front LOL...bloody design changes eh!

cheers bullet

twisteddragon33 18-02-2011 02:13 PM

Yeah i went back to the intake, but making the overall design more compact i think it works better. I want more emphasis on the wings. The rear of the main component isnt where i want it yet but i have plans for that as well.

The wings are killing me as i dont know what to do with them. They need some detail i just dont know what yet.

And the blades just seem too simple.

I really wish i took the time to draw a good concept that i liked first, it would have saved a lot of time...

bullet1968 18-02-2011 09:17 PM

Is it atmosphere capable TD?? or space?? maybe some horizontal intakes and exhausts along the wing.....or air scoops top and bottom?? along the blades maybe hydraulic pipe work or similar...or again air scoops??

cheers bullet

twisteddragon33 18-02-2011 10:42 PM

I think i will make it atmosphere capable, otherwise all the aerodynamics mean nothing. I agree some piping or exposed interiors might be a good idea. I feel the wings/blades are good they just dont fit the overall feel of the design, almost looks as if one person designed the body. another the wings, another the blades... I want it to look more cohesive. I should have some time to work on this during the weekend.

bullet1968 18-02-2011 11:28 PM

Hmmmm I tend to disagree on that TD...I think the overall shape is fine...just needs some tweeking....I have to go peg kerbs on a road...when I get back I will examine your screen shots (they are a little dark too LOL) and throw some suggestions in if you want mate??

cheers bullet

bullet1968 19-02-2011 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here mate...these are just my opinions...hope its at least an inspiration for you and not a flop LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968 19-02-2011 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
wing leading edge..I had reversed the direction but it could still be applied to your current shape.

EDIT: forgive my crappy replication mate LOL Im at work.

twisteddragon33 20-02-2011 02:55 AM

Thanks for the ideas bullet and i believe you are right about the wings, they need more definition, i think i have an idea. I just tweaked the back end and its how i like it, cleaning the mesh and i will post an render.

twisteddragon33 23-02-2011 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tried giving a more pronounced front edge and changed the wings a little. Still not sure im happy with the wing ends but im running out of time... so lets see what i can come up with.

bullet1968 23-02-2011 05:13 AM

Thats fine mate...I would maybe extrude the top and bottom fins on the pods a tad more and angle them in towards the fuselage maybe....I would press on with detail now though mate.

Cheers bullet

twisteddragon33 26-02-2011 01:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well i think these will be my final renders for this challenge as i wont have much time in the next few days to work on it. I spent way too much time redesigning it to get any good detail done. And undoing and redoing the same parts over and over killed any chance i had for a cohesive model. Sadly i know i could have done so much better on this if i had taken to the time to plan and sketch the design and then adhere to it. But that is something i will have to work on in the future.

I have a feeling i should have done something i have more experience in like cars... But that could always be my next project.