Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Patrick Stewart (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35156)

Perfecto 23-02-2011 06:09 PM

Patrick Stewart

Going to attempt to model a head to look like someone. I'm choosing Patrick Stewart since he's bald, well mostly. I don't want to deal with hair. I'm not much of an organic modeler so this won't go too quickly. If I like the way the head turns out I might model the body.

daverave 23-02-2011 06:47 PM

I still have Ian McKeller that I have not finished we could do Xmen,,,,,LOL...Im sure you will do well...........dave

Perfecto 23-02-2011 06:53 PM

Haha, X-Men, that actually sounds cool. I know star trek and such has been done a bazillion times so I was kinda hesitant to refer to Patrick as Picard. Perhaps we could make this a community project. People could model X-Men characters and then everyone could send you the models so you can put into a final scene...just a thought. I'm sure most everyone on SM would trust you with their models.

Perfecto 23-02-2011 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a couple of images I think might work as references. I cropped them down to just head profiles and they seem to line up pretty good.

Here's my image plane setup.

mastone 23-02-2011 07:26 PM

good luck...

daverave 23-02-2011 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds like a good idea perfecto, lets see if any one else is interested. may be a poster. Any way if there is no other interest I could carry on with mine and do a head to head shot...........dave

Edit:This is how far I got with him

eye_grafix 23-02-2011 08:09 PM

Cool idea - I love Xmen and StarTrek even if it was "before my time" LOL
I hope it turns out well.
@dave Good start but the nose is a bit to big. :-D
---Peace---

daverave 23-02-2011 08:32 PM

Ian McKeller has a big nose google him...........LOL.....dave

Perfecto 23-02-2011 08:32 PM

I love your poster idea. Could even expand it to a Marvel poster if alot of people were interested. That would allow more character choices.

Magneto is a good choice, you could even model him with his helmet, that way you wouldn't have to fool with having to make hair. Nice start so far.

tweetytunes 24-02-2011 12:48 AM

I might have a go at the film version of night-crawler - just for the fun of joining in.

And sorry Patrick Stewart will forever be "CIA Deputy Director Avery Bullock" for me now (American Dad rules)

Perfecto 24-02-2011 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm done for today. Here's what I've got so far. I still have a lot of tweaking to do on the nose eye and...well all of it really haha.

tweetytunes 24-02-2011 01:14 AM

you got the noise down thats for sure - you can tell who it is

bullet1968 24-02-2011 10:40 AM

Wow Perfecto good bloody start!!! good luck with it mate!

cheers bullet

dave: Yes he does have a rather large hooter LOL

daverave 24-02-2011 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to show that I am on the case started the helmet, still a lot to do with it, from what I have seen his ears get squashed into the helmet will fix at the end...........dave

PS. you are B*** fast perfecto

Perfecto 24-02-2011 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Helmet is looking good daverave.

I did a little bit this morning but now it's time to eat breakfast and get my butt moving. Busy day today. I thought I would finish this morning but it's going to take a little more time than I thought.

I've got about an hour or two of work left. I've got to work on ear lobe and ear shape including adding a Y shape to the inside. I have to finish the head shape, including the noticeable ridge along the front middle and the side profile especially the transition from the nose to the forehead. The eyes also need more tweaking, the jaw line needs more tweaking, and I need to make all the major dents and bumps. Here's another update shot though.

daverave 24-02-2011 08:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finishing of the helmet..........dave

Perfecto 24-02-2011 08:56 PM

Very nice looking helmet. It's looking really great. Can you rename this thread to X-Men or something? That way anyone that wants to model a character can just add it to this thread.

daverave 24-02-2011 09:03 PM

Thanks you perfecto
Im trying to go fast because I know you are like a steam train once you get going and great quality. How meny times have I posted then noticed the the model still needs tweeking......dave

Edit:I think there would be some hard edge modelling also, the centinals, xmens air craft and scenes

bullet1968 24-02-2011 10:56 PM

you two are doing very well...this is going to be an interesting event! and now tweety has embraced Z it will get even more exciting!

cheers bullet

daverave 24-02-2011 11:23 PM

Bullet dont think you have got of the hook, you can set out the poster......LOL...dave

bullet1968 24-02-2011 11:52 PM

bahahahahahahaha I will plead ignorance your honour....

cheers bullet

daverave 25-02-2011 12:07 AM

I know you can draw bullet, all you have to do set out the poses (drawings) in A nice way, I can do the rest in photoshop but if some one else would like to join in and do the comp........dave

Edit:If this gets of the ground it will be like a little taster of what work will be like because you will not always do what you want but what some one is paying you..dave

BabyDuck 25-02-2011 12:28 PM

that is a awesome idea - a joint WIP. do the models have to be fully textured and all? i would like to participate - and sign up for the model of the sr-71 blackbird - something to hopefully look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lo..._Blackbird.jpg
going to post once i have something to show - trying to find and fiddle blueprints into maya atm :banghead:

bullet1968 25-02-2011 12:58 PM

hmmm you will have to guide me dave...I honestly dont know what you mean...LOL honestly....and who said I could bloody draw!!!! give me a road to peg out and pipes to lay LOL.

go babyduck!!!!

daverave 25-02-2011 01:00 PM

Hi BadyDuck
Could you model the x men jet plane look simular to the blackbird see link below......dave

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/X-JetCatalogPage.htm

Edit:Sorry Bullet must have posted at the same time, what I ment was set out a poster (drawings)so we have a idea what poses we might need, I think that would be the logical way to go

BabyDuck 25-02-2011 01:47 PM

dave, i can try that. you know any good place to find reference pics on how they modified the sf-71 for the x-men movies? or shots out of the movie itself?

daverave 25-02-2011 01:57 PM

Hi BabyDuck
If you google images x-jet you should get a lot of referances, link below for plan of the one used in xmen 3 I think..........dave

http://gselander.blogspot.com/2011/0...kbird-jet.html

BabyDuck 25-02-2011 02:15 PM

dave, that is the x-jet of x-men 1 - the one in x-men 3 is almost identical to the x-men 2 x-jet. arghhhhhhh.

now i see what "do what they pay you not what you want" means - i did have some high res blueprint for the xf-71 including profile curves ....

oh well - trying for the x-jet from x-men 2 - since i have a pic that says its from x-men 2 and no guess work which version it is ....

daverave 25-02-2011 02:20 PM

Am I bad, just glad you are taking part BabyDuck.........dave

daverave 25-02-2011 03:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished the helmet next the body......dave

Perfecto 25-02-2011 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice work Dave.

Here's an update of Professor X. The mouth/chin area isn't quite right yet as well as some other areas but maybe I'm being too much of a profectionist right now.

daverave 25-02-2011 08:55 PM

Nice work perfecto
Try bringing in more photos from differant angles, saying that I need to do that with mine. When you start texturing that will bring out a lot of the detail.........dave

Perfecto 25-02-2011 09:06 PM

That's a good idea. I modeled him from his younger years but now since this is X-Men, it might not look quite right haha.

daverave 25-02-2011 11:29 PM

Should have said that idea was from mayanic some time ago, still looking for more people to join in maya or zbrush (or any app) users, there are lot of xmen left to do........dave

bullet1968 26-02-2011 12:10 AM

Looks good Perfecto....keep it up man...I admire you guys who can do organics.

cheers bullet

daverave 26-02-2011 12:27 AM

Bullet I do understand that if you have a bad experence with organics it might put you of but from my experiance modelling is modelling I wish I could help in some way.......dave

Perfecto 26-02-2011 01:08 AM

Thanks Bullet, and I agree with daverave. Hard surface modeling, organics, it's all the same to me. The only difference is that you need the mesh to flow in such a way that the model can deform correctly for animation. Hard surface modeling you don't have to worry bout as much. For me, the key to organic modeling is knowing the correct topology. Like anything though, practice makes perfect.

bullet1968 26-02-2011 01:39 AM

I know you are both right, but for some reason a machine to me is so much easier than a face...like planes etc...its just imprinted in my mind...probably from when I used to make model kits (by the hundreds)...even though you see faces and bodies every day..I dunno LOL it just seems easier. Yes perfecto thats probably part of the problem...topology...I gues I will get there...once the Feb challenge is over I wont be in anymore challenges...I will finish Ramsay...I need to really get that one done. Being the worlds biggest procrastinator (though I work most hours LOL)...doesnt help.

Whilst scouring for babyduck (still looking) for the X-Jet....I found this page!!! wow and cheap too...some even in CAD!! dont know if its any use to you guys?

http://www.up-ship.com/

Dont worry dave, Im sure all of you will get enough questions from me and crits back to me in the future...I really want to do it in Maya first before I head to Z....

cheers bullet

EDIT: BTW dave...this guy on the site struck the master copy for the kit you posted.

BabyDuck 26-02-2011 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sry guys, been a while.

here is a update/beginning. started doing the body of the x-jet. missing 4 of the wings yet. and looking at the x-jet - lol about hard surface modeling - the only hard faces i see on the x-jet might be the lines around cockpit. unless all non-organic is considered hard surface - not sure.

Attachment 46170

crits welcome - don't be too harsh - its my first model in years .... :mstickle:

duckie

p.s.: call me duckie - i prefer that over BabyDuck

p.p.s.: how do i insert a picture instead of the small thumbnail with the big preview thumbnail like all the other posts?

bullet1968 26-02-2011 02:17 AM

That looks good duckie??? LOL Im think of bloody David McCallum now......that looks sweet.

to insert pic....when you 'post reply' underneath you will see 'manage attachments' click on there and you can upload up to 5 images.

Looks ok for some one who hasnt ridden the Maya bike for a while!!