Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   April Challenge_Lo PolyCharacter_CGWolfgang (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35431)

CGWolfgang 05-04-2011 08:05 AM

April Challenge_Lo PolyCharacter_CGWolfgang

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys its great to be back home and in time (hopefully) to participate (and hopefully finish this time) a simply maya challenge!

My entry is going to be an update of an old and relatively unknown SNES game called Robotrek. I'm going to do an updated version of the robot sidekicks you build in the game. In the original 16 bit glory the robots had a definite robot-knight feel to them. Their melee weapons were axes, swords and a kite shield and the helmet looks a bit like a knights helmet. So instead I'm going to try to give it a more roman warrior or gladiator feel.

Also newbie question real quick... I know there's a polycount function but where is it located?

Chirone 05-04-2011 12:02 PM

hey it's cgwolfgang!
i've not heard of the game you're doing before... but then i've not heard of many of the snes games

go Display > Heads up display > Polycount

bullet1968 05-04-2011 12:17 PM

Hey CG welcome back man!!!! dont remember this one...and we had SNES too...still, had lots of games LOL. Good luck mate!

cheers bullet

My heart skipped a beat then...I though it was Rygar...nobody remembers Rygar...:(

CGWolfgang 06-04-2011 03:56 AM

Thanks for the warm return guys!

Chirone: I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it. The game didn't even sell a million copies world wide but it was the very first game I ever owned on my own. The parental units wouldn't buy it so I had to mow lawns and the like until I could save up and purchase it on my own.

bullet: Man I'm sorry I don't remember rygar... it sounds familiar though.

I'm going to get started tonight so hopefully I'll have something to post before I call it a night.

CGWolfgang 06-04-2011 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update to give everyone a feel for what I'm doing. I've got a very basic outline of the robots proportions/ basic parts that I'm going to build around. Not bad for an hour and a half of total worktime (for my level).

CGWolfgang 07-04-2011 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick and more productive update. Finished the helmet and started on the bits of the head that would be exposed. Going to finish it tomorrow then work my way down to the chest. All in all the helmet turned out better than I expected.

bullet1968 07-04-2011 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
UUUUUUUummmmmmmmmm you did it again LOL...first the bike now the helmet....do we have some unknown connection here mate????? LOL good stuff...better than my helmet! I started one the other night but got stuck on the ear cut outs...keep it up...

cheers bullet

stwert 07-04-2011 04:15 PM

Looks great so far CGWolfgang!

CGWolfgang 08-04-2011 03:58 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Bullet: You know what they say great minds think alike! Either that or we both wound up watching Spartacus at the same time... I think you have a great start with yours though and I'd like to see what you do with it. Are you going to do a full Roman Legionare?

Quick edit: Also bullet I used a reference image from a website called history revisited that does replica and reenactment helmets. I used the roman calvary helmet which really helped with placement of the ear. (Even though I'm not going to model it) It has a lot of front/side/back/bottom references for helmets that would be useful for anyone wanting to do something with a roman theme.

bullet1968 08-04-2011 05:00 AM

Sweet mate I will look it up. No Im not doing any characters mate...no good at organics...maybe when I learn...but I do have a few folders I call 'collections' which I have started. As I seem to have run out of love for Maya at the mo, I have started the weapons and armour etc...streetlights and all things construction...so when Im bored...a quick one hour model to keep the skills up. I hope to have several of these 'bits and bobs' folders mate...then when I do scenes etc Im not re-inventing the wheel....and of course I will share...

I dont watch telly mate.....

s2-speedy 08-04-2011 08:01 AM

Nice work so far :) love that helmet render. Is there a better concept picture of who you are making though? Its hard to tell from the original concept.

CGWolfgang 09-04-2011 11:11 AM

Bullet: I can understand getting burned out in Maya. But its smart to keep the skills up like you are. And when you do get to doing the full scenes you'll be ahead of the game when it comes to the bits and bobs!

Speedy: I wish there were more references to give people a better idea of the robo guy I'm trying to remake. But unfortunately it was such a small game that this was the best I could do. There's no drawings, manga's, updated content, remakes to run off of. It sold so few copies that it will probably never be remade which is a pity because it was a blast to play.

CGWolfgang 09-04-2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A quick update before I go to bed.

Unfortunately I hit a bit of a snag in my remake designing. I couldn't design a comically disproportionate body to the head I designed. I wanted to give the guy a big barrel chest and gorrilla arms and tiny legs to keep with the old sprite but nothing I designed matched. But I don't want to redesign the head because I like how it turned out.

So my remake is going to be less comical and more like when all the graphics from final fantasy were updated from FF6 to FF7. So this guy is going to look a lot more elaborate and serious than what I first invisioned.

Chirone 09-04-2011 11:20 AM

it looks pretty damn cool

did you turn on smooth preview?

bullet1968 09-04-2011 11:22 AM

That looks good mate....hhhhhmmmmmm I think you can still achieve the comic look.......shouldnt be a drama? I would still try it mate

cheers bullet

CGWolfgang 09-04-2011 10:05 PM

I turned on smooth preview for the renders Chirone. Even though its supposed to be low poly I like looking at it as if its smoothed out.

CGWolfgang 11-04-2011 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update to show the work I put in over the weekend. The good news is that I'm right on schedule with how long I'd thought it would take to get this far. Who knows I might actually Finish this challenge!;)

Also the back has been left open because he's going to be getting a backpack towards the end of the modeling process.

bullet1968 11-04-2011 05:26 AM

That looks bloody good mate!!! keep it up!

cheers bullet

tweetytunes 11-04-2011 09:51 AM

very cool - looks a like someone from Zelda land, but very nice modeling. Would be nice to see some wires

CGWolfgang 12-04-2011 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again for the compliments guys! Tweety here is a wireframe of the zelda-like robo guy :) You know looking back at it the game was very zelda like only with turn based combat so it works! Anyway back to work!

bullet1968 12-04-2011 07:41 AM

Thats nice and neat wiring mate..well done

cheers bullet

murambi 12-04-2011 11:11 AM

Reminds me of optimus prime

tweetytunes 12-04-2011 11:14 AM

That`s right - could not pin it down what it looked like before - but yer the face does alittle. Still a kick ass model though - loving the armor

CGWolfgang 13-04-2011 05:18 AM

Thats cool that you guys pegged Optimus Prime. His face (the toon version) was what inspired me to do the lower half of the face. I figured I could squeeze out a few less polys that way and keep it simple. I find I tend to try to do too much and get bogged down in the details.

On a slightly different note your comments got me brain storming in the wrong direction. But let me share my randomness... a what if comic of Transformers in the Roman Era... :D

s2-speedy 13-04-2011 07:55 AM

Yeah it does look like there is a bit of optimus inspiration there :) I like it.

Chirone 13-04-2011 08:08 AM

i think you need to make something that transforms then :)

CGWolfgang 15-04-2011 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chirone don't give me ideas that will derail me from actually finishing! I might actually try that then get so sidetracked I'd never finish :)

I haven't had much sucess with my first few attempts at arms. But I finally got something workable that I'm happy with. So hopefully I can finish the forearm and hands by tomorrow/Saturday and get started on the legs.

murambi 15-04-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Chirone don't give me ideas that will derail me from actually finishing! I might actually try that then get so sidetracked I'd never finish
Nah she's just trying to take out the competion :P i like how its coming along

Gen 15-04-2011 06:03 PM

Looking good. Planning on texturing this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by murambi
Nah she's just trying to take out the competion :P i like how its coming along

I always thought Chirone was male...>.>

CGWolfgang 16-04-2011 04:50 AM

Oh Definitely GecT. While I might not get to that part for the competition I think I want to move it to the WIP section for texturing and lighting and a final render after its all said and done.

Chirone 16-04-2011 11:57 PM

If i can make mine transform then you can make yours do it too ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GecT (Post 318037)
I always thought Chirone was male...>.>

i thought i was a male as well.... :eek:
man... if i was a female though... i'm sure i'd be totally hot!

bullet1968 17-04-2011 01:31 AM

Your NOT a sheila Chirone...damn! I think you would be totally hot too!

murambi 17-04-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

thought i was a male as well....
man... if i was a female though... i'm sure i'd be totally hot!
What i always thought you were a she I have no idea why though........ are you sure your not a HE/SHE..........nah im just kidding my bad mate

CGWolfgang 19-04-2011 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update to show I'm still trying to make progress. I've been beating my head trying to come up with a decent set of hands and so far this is the best I can come up with. I'm not happy with them, and I think at a little over 1000 polys a piece the looks isn't really worth the cost polygon wise. But I'm giving up on the hands for now and finishing the rest. Who knows with a little break maybe a better idea will come along and present itself.

:(

bullet1968 19-04-2011 07:27 AM

Looks good mate...how about a wire shot on the hands so we can see what you have done?

CGWolfgang 21-04-2011 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go bullet... not my best but now that I've moved on to the legs I feeling like I'm making progress again. So hopefully I'll have another update after I finish the feet.

:D

murambi 21-04-2011 06:05 AM

are you going to texture him

CGWolfgang 21-04-2011 07:05 AM

definitely murambi! Maybe not for the competition. But I'd like to take this one all the way. But after the competition is over I'm going to move it over to the WIP section and redo certain parts/add to it to add more detail that I'm not going to be able to add because of poly count for game character purposes.

daverave 21-04-2011 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi CGWolfgang
I think you need to make your finger so they can move, I have done a little side drawing to help..........dave

bullet1968 21-04-2011 09:27 AM

dave has a point but that will increase the poly count, maybe for later. I dont see why you have so many poly's mate?? You arent allowed to smooth this are you? each finger could be an octogon, single face at each end of the knuckle with a smaller one as the actaul knuckle and seperate geo of course. I think you could reduce faces on the joints you do have too and the palm could get away with less than half the faces...the whold hand could be seperate components...or wouldnt this work CG??

cheers bullet