Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Realism - caligraphics (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4864)

caligraphics 30-03-2003 12:55 PM

Realism - caligraphics

1 Attachment(s)

Here is my contribution to this challenge.

I decided to participate in the last hour :P ..

Edit: Ack!!! just realised that the jpeg compression ate some of the highlights on the white plastic :( .. ohh well..

alexgc 30-03-2003 03:56 PM

You really are excited about being a father arent u? lol Nice model mate...I hate JPEGs too...I wonder if PNG is any better?? hmm

Congratualtions on the impending arrival btw - Is it a boy or girl?

caligraphics 30-03-2003 07:17 PM

Thanks :) and yeah im excited and its REALLY close. We chose not to be told if it was a boy or a girl.

alexgc 30-03-2003 09:20 PM

aww cool id prefer it not to know also, if I was in ur position - it adds that extra sparkle I guess!

Hidalgo 31-03-2003 02:04 AM

Nice job!

I've got two. A boy and a girl and we waited to see also...it's worth it!

caligraphics 31-03-2003 08:15 AM

Thanks.. I really hope its worth it..

Anyway, regarding the image, I do think the pacifier have a really interesting shape and at first the shape looked spooky to model. But when analyzing the object I found a way to make it.

I just love those impossible shapes. A couple of years ago I was fencing a lot - and I Was deeply faschinated by the shape of the handle on an epee.. you should try to take a look at that, its seems impossible to model at first.

It could be fun to make a little challenge called "impossible shapes", where we select an everyday object with an interesting shape, and see what people could make of it.

What do you guys think ?

Kevin 31-03-2003 08:48 AM

any chance you done a couple of shots while designing? just so we can tell that its not a pre made image?

caligraphics 31-03-2003 09:12 AM

ehm.. I only saved in one file, but I can make a wire if ya want ? Made it in like 4 hours yesterday .

strarup 31-03-2003 01:50 PM

Hi Carsten,

looking great... :)

regards

Strarup

P.S. Tillykke med den kommende familie forøgelse... :)

caligraphics 31-03-2003 02:24 PM

Thanks Strarup .. Do I know you ?? hehe ..

caligraphics 31-03-2003 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
okay Kevin.. I found these images from the modelling phase:

This is a render region I did when applying materials..

Kevin 31-03-2003 02:46 PM

ok thats cool caligraphics but it is inportant next time to show a "half way through" shot, even if the whole thing takes you 2 hrs :)

just so we know its a recent, sorry to be such a nurd... just stops people adding images they done a year ago

caligraphics 31-03-2003 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and this is a wire shaded/shot .. I have disconnected the CPS base models and they are grouped under null1 as you can see in the screenshot of the outliner.

As I clarified earlier, I made the model in about 4 hours yesterday because I wanted to participate and since I only used that little time I did not do incremental saves - I actually only saved 2 or 3 times.

Kevin 31-03-2003 02:56 PM

and get ready for that baby dude!! hard work but they are great and well worth it!

caligraphics 31-03-2003 02:58 PM

I can understand that, but still you could have an incremental save in your 1 year old project lying around.. :P

But I totally agree that its a challenge and everybody have the same amount of time. I just happened to be a slow poke and started yesterday :P

caligraphics 31-03-2003 03:00 PM

I know !!!! Tomorrow we are going to lamarge (Spelling ..... the thing where you learn breathing techniques and stuff) .. thats gonne be fun :P

and we are ready .. we only need to get the family cradle home, but it just have to be shined up by my parents and then we are completly set .... I hope !!!

Hidalgo 31-03-2003 04:53 PM

Well, good luck.

It sounds like she's do almost anytime now.

caligraphics 31-03-2003 05:38 PM

she is .. so if you guys don't see me on the board for some days you know what has happend :P

Kurt 31-03-2003 06:20 PM

Wow... Thats a lot of directional lights in the screen capture.

Great render...

caligraphics 31-03-2003 06:26 PM

aye, its GI_Joe with a few adjustments.. and a few of my own lights.. a couple of colored selective lights to create the look on the background.

caligraphics 02-04-2003 12:29 PM

update

1 Attachment(s)
Since I am home and still waiting, I figured that I would update the image..

cb8rwh 02-04-2003 12:44 PM

looking sweet matey, is that with hdri fake or not? and if not are you going to use hdri? looks good already tho!!

have you got any names in mind for thou kid?

caligraphics 02-04-2003 12:54 PM

its not HDRI.. and I am not gonna use it.. I am gonna rely on the normal Maya renderer

The lighting is a norma GI_Joe.. 64 lights. Sky lights are white / grey (call it a shade of white) .. Ground lights have the same color as the base color of the ground plane (that blue-greenish thing). Theres a spotlight, the one making the shadow. And two colored lights that selectivly lights up the background to give the interesting color change.

about the names for the baby then its probarbly gonna be Rebecca or Christoffer.. But we might change that, if they dont look like a Rebecca or a christoffer :P - lets see..

cya

M 08-04-2003 02:12 AM

Wow, looks wonderful bud! Just the color on the pacifier with that lighting is a bit too dark, i think :P. Reallly nice though.

spyart 08-04-2003 01:19 PM

I agree ... the pacifier needs abit lighting or translucency
but very nice work and rendering.