Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   April Challenge - el_newty - Normal - (WARNING - Slight Nudity) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4933)

el_newty 02-04-2003 06:57 AM

April Challenge - el_newty - Normal

1 Attachment(s)
Ok guys,

I found a theme for this month challenge...is...DEMONA! :D
Yes I'll try to model DEMONA.
She's a lady gargoyle. ;)
I think this will be a very great opportunity to learn new things in Maya modeling, because until now I've never made so complex models.(thats why I chose her)

Here is a sketch of her, i found it on the net, but I know that every body heard about those famous cartoons with GOLIATH & DEMONA...

M 02-04-2003 07:30 AM

Ah sweet, the gargoyle off of that tv series! This should be great! Hope you pull through this time el-newty :D.

Garry1953 02-04-2003 09:28 AM

Nice choice.

Kevin 02-04-2003 09:48 AM

looks interesting... atough choice but a nice choice

el_newty 03-04-2003 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Helo to everybody,

Yesterday I started to model DEMONA... :)
Until now I managed to make the basic shape of her body, it's not much, but it's something and besides it's low poly.
To convince you here an immage of her with show poly count active.

el_newty 03-04-2003 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's me again...
like I said, it's only a basic shape ;)

M 03-04-2003 07:19 AM

Hey, its taking form! I know i have seen a lot of people on this board use the same technique. Then work your way around adding more and more detail as you go! Hopefully this works out good for you too el-newty! Should be great!

el_newty 03-04-2003 08:06 AM

Yes in deed...

It's taking form and as you thoroughgoing study the model with more and more details as complicated will become, but this is the best part of CG modeling.

Aren't you agree with me guys?

Pony 04-04-2003 02:45 AM

yeah I think so.. that was pritty fast that you got that out.

el_newty 08-04-2003 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeap, I'm back again with some details.
I will start to build her the wings.

Here is how she looks so far...

el_newty 08-04-2003 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the leading bones parts for the wings.
Unfortunatly more details will come tomorrow, if I have time to continue.
For moment I'm very busy at the work and I don't know if I'll be able to make more today.
Anyway c&c's are welcomed.

el_newty 09-04-2003 05:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK,
I added some details and here is how it looks so far...
In wireframe...

el_newty 09-04-2003 05:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And a render...

I'm waiting C&C's

ereitz 09-04-2003 06:46 AM

okay el_newty - some c & c :)

looking good - i like the curves of the wings and the detail you have there

the anatomy of the woman could use a more exact reference - have you tried working with an image plane? i can see that you'll probably work on detail for some parts like the arms so i'll stick to one part - the upper body - breasts sit on top of the breast plate - women have similar (usually smaller) pectorals as a man - your breasts look like they're hanging straight down while in reality they would be sitting at an angle - try thinking of breaking it into components - if you think of it in terms of anatomy you'll get the idea - even if you are going for a more comic exagerated look you'll want to have those components - one traditional way of looking at anatomy is sketching the figure in straight lines for the bones and fleshing the musculature out in spherical forms - balls for the shoulders - elongated spheres for the biceps - two flattened spheres for the breasts hang on an upper body shape and underneathe is one for the rib cage -

I think i should make an example to show you what I mean but unfortunately it is too late for me to use the scanner - in a room where someone sleeps. If you keep in your minds eye those different components of the body and try to show those components on the body - even if you're not 100 percent clear how they are - you may be surprised at the results. Your eye will tell you when something is not right but just by trying to define your shoulder muscle for example you are probably going to make a much more realistic shoulder.

all this i'm talking about is exactly what i'm working on so it's coming directly out of my ongoing experience of learning how to model.

Witchy 09-04-2003 05:09 PM

The wings are looking great they have a really nice look to them.

I agree on the points Ereitz has raised-you might want to bring the breasts in and raise them up a tad- the concept has quite small breasts too. The only other point would be the spikes on the knees- I know she is drawn like that but if she had a bumpy landing she'd impale herself!

el_newty 10-04-2003 06:06 AM

OK,
Ereitz I tried to follow your explonations but sincerely nothing come out... :banghead:
The sholders and the breasts looks the same, the breasts looks even worth :(
So please if you have time explain it to me more detailed and if you can make a short sketch of what did you said above.
Please help me because I'm stucked :(
Thank you in advance.

ereitz 10-04-2003 07:32 AM

reference photos and explaination

1 Attachment(s)
hey el_newty - i threw this together in photoshop - no scanner needed! these are reference shots i'm using and i tried to explain what i meant a little better. basically the idea is to think of the body as a series of primitive shapes like spheres, cones etc. in order to help with basic shape and proportion.

let me know if this is helpful okay?

ereitz 10-04-2003 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey el_newty - here are the sketches i made to illustrate how a body can be thought of as a series of angles and primitive shapes. Hope this is helpful :)

adldesigner 10-04-2003 08:01 PM

Excellent explanation eiretz.

<adldesigner scribbles some stuff in his little notepad>

M 11-04-2003 04:54 AM

Wonderful ereitz! and elnewty, let me know if you dont mind that image.. seeing it has made your thread need a warning label :). I dont mind at all having to put it on there, its just so people know. :).

el_newty 11-04-2003 04:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Ereitz for the exlanations, it helped me a lot.
Until now I modeled a human body direct with the skin, now you make me see that is a different way, an easyer way to make the human body from simple shapes...
Yes, I discovered (what you descovered from long time ago) that I can make those basic shapes and after to model the skin on it, or is a second method to make those basic shapes, combine them and unify them with new poly faces and then delete the unused ones.
Unfortunately, I can't show you omething becouse my computer crashed last night and I had to reinstal everything from Windows to... Maya, but I managed to make a short sketch of how I see now a human body (its for one human arm) ;)
Once again thanks a lot Ereitz :beer:

ereitz 11-04-2003 08:28 AM

i'm glad the c & c were of help - now get back on that pc & keep modeling! ;) i'm looking forward to the next updates el_newty

many of you probably recognize the format but the reference photos are from http://www.fineart.sk - not trying to sneak any credit from them - great site.

el_newty 14-04-2003 04:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In the few time that I had in week end I managed to make something...
Guys how about now???
It's better, isn't it? :D
And about Fineart, yes Ereitz it's a great site (silly me, I knew about it but I don't have this thought to inspire myself from there...)
More will come later when I will have more time to model, so stay tuned.

ereitz 14-04-2003 06:36 AM

EL_NEWTY or should I say EL NUDY!!!

Nice pair there brother!

All the hard work paid off! Yeah!

lol

el_newty 14-04-2003 06:51 AM

lol... El Nudy, ... lol... anyway it sounds good :)
I'm glad that you like it :D

adldesigner 14-04-2003 07:31 AM

Phew. Should have been called Boobies challenge. :D
Nice pair there newty.

el_newty 14-04-2003 12:01 PM

Yep, Boobies challenge... this is it :D
I think this will be the next challange topic :D :D :D

M 14-04-2003 02:47 PM

hmmm, boobies challenge hey?... very tempting, tempting indeed :).

ereitz 14-04-2003 05:58 PM

i'm in!!!

Witchy 14-04-2003 06:24 PM

So are they!

el_newty 16-04-2003 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello guys,

last night I managed to make some “updates” at Demona and here I post some pictures with her in different positions.

The first one...

el_newty 16-04-2003 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The second one is a little bit from an upper angle because I have a strange feeling that in first picture the abdomen is not so visible.

Pony 16-04-2003 04:39 AM

way cool. I like your chouse of feet of corse.. seeing as our both have sorta similer feet.. and I will have breast in my render someware.. LOL.. looking good.

el_newty 16-04-2003 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The third one is a closer shot to see the hand better.

el_newty 16-04-2003 04:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Pony :)

The fourth one is a closer shot to see the fooh better.

el_newty 16-04-2003 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The five-th one is a shot from back, you have to see her back too, don't you ? :) :) :)

el_newty 16-04-2003 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And of course the six-th one is for those who's curious to see the wire of the character.

From now one I'll go for facial modeling.
Brrr... when I'm thinking that I have to model the eyes... and ears...
You know...
There are a lot of details and it's a meticulous process.
Well... I will came with new updates later when I did something at her face... :)
See you soon...

Pony 16-04-2003 05:31 AM

yeah but your doing greait with the details. looks like in in just polys and smoth them. your doing really good with tucks and making things like the rimbs around the clows and things.. !!

I would like to see a close up of the polys around one of the clows. like on the knees.. compare notes.. if you don't mind.

ereitz 16-04-2003 09:25 AM

very nice progress - nice feet and hands!

between the shoulder and the bicep there is usually some space in the form of an indentation. Try taking it in a little there and near the elbows to give the arms a little more definition.

el_newty 17-04-2003 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by pony
I would like to see a close up of the polys around one of the clows. like on the knees.. compare notes.. if you don't mind.
OK Pony, I don't mind and I'm posting for you some closer shots...
I hope that will helps

So the first shot is at the foot (claw region) unsmooted.