Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   1 On 1 Battles (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   brian_ellebracht VS adldesigner - PR Flower (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5472)

adldesigner 28-04-2003 12:28 PM

brian_ellebracht VS adldesigner - PR Flower

Topic: Photorealistic composite of a flower.
Time Limit: 2 Weeks
Textures: Yes
Post-Processing: Allowed

Voting is allowed after May 12th.
Do not vote before people.

Good luck Brian! :cool:

brian_ellebracht 28-04-2003 12:47 PM

I am going to start looking for pics! I agree with adldesigner, try not to vote/pick a winner b4 the date! Thanks
Brian

BTW Good luck to you to :)

brian_ellebracht 28-04-2003 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
there are two that I am trying to decide between... Here is one Thanks,
Brian

brian_ellebracht 28-04-2003 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the other one, whitch one do you think? thanks!
Brian

adldesigner 28-04-2003 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I´m going for this one.
As always might change at my discretion, as long as it´s a flower.

adldesigner 28-04-2003 02:39 PM

In your case the second one looks fairly good.
Personally I would go for that one, feels very enigmatic.

brian_ellebracht 28-04-2003 02:44 PM

Well, I think i will go for that one then. I might change my mind later on down the road, Kind of worried about how to aproace modeling the edges. THanks for your advice,
Brian

adldesigner 28-04-2003 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
Kind of worried about how to aproace modeling the edges.
That would make two of us. :cool:

ragecgi 28-04-2003 03:34 PM

Oooohhh... this aught to be a good one!!!

M 28-04-2003 04:00 PM

Oooh, the suspence.. the excitement :O... heheh, I will be closely watching this one like watching a flower bloom :p.

brian_ellebracht 28-04-2003 06:32 PM

Nice to know that we have an audiance. lol. However, I just wanted to let you know that after messing with this for about an hour, I have come to realise this is a harder task than it sounds. lol, Not sure how to model this yet...
B

twisteddragon33 28-04-2003 10:40 PM

one reason i backed down so fast, a flower seems slightly easy, but when you think about it. The only way i can think is to start with a basic of the base of the flower(i used to know all the technical names, but im really tired), so... the underside of the petals where the grean leaves are. ide make a basic of that. then 3 large petals, then 4 smaller ones. then.. 5 slightly smaller. and arrange them. then the pestills(that what they are.. cant remember) the stem things sticking out of it.

So... one of you if going to contact tariq to get the robo bug he made in the tournement to put on your flower right?

adldesigner 28-04-2003 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
However, I just wanted to let you know that after messing with this for about an hour, I have come to realise this is a harder task than it sounds. lol, Not sure how to model this yet...
B

Again, that would make two of us, I´m still figuring it out too.
Glad to know you guys are watching! :cool:

I-Iybrid 28-04-2003 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by twisteddragon33
So... one of you if going to contact tariq to get the robo bug he made in the tournement to put on your flower right?
Now thatd bee cool ;) :p

Emo 29-04-2003 04:41 AM

hehehe, good topic guys!

if I was in this battle I'd do what is the best way to model a flower......PAINT FX :p ;)

and no, that's not cheating because it's still in maya :D

-Emo

Kevin 29-04-2003 07:26 AM

DgAPc : I have scrubed your vote please do not vote until we have something to vote on, and not before the 12th as Adl says :)

brian_ellebracht 29-04-2003 01:49 PM

Grrr... says Brian as agervation takes over... lol jk. I think I am going to go to the store and buy a garden flower and dissect it so that I can get a better idea on how these things go together. lol
Brian

adldesigner 29-04-2003 02:25 PM

<adldesigner thinks>
Thankfully the guy´s having some trouble too ... ;)

brian_ellebracht 29-04-2003 02:35 PM

:) samething i'm, thinkin
;)

adldesigner 29-04-2003 08:56 PM

First step ...

1 Attachment(s)
Had some time to work on this Brain Freezer ;)

I think I just jumped my first technical hurdle (Still have the texturing one to go).
I need to start the detailing and work on proportions, but at least now it looks as a flower.
:cool:

adldesigner 29-04-2003 10:13 PM

About 1/2 hour later ...

1 Attachment(s)
Some more progress ...

adldesigner 29-04-2003 10:15 PM

... and a small test render.

1 Attachment(s)
Your standard test render with GI_Joe.
(Final illumination will change though)

GCastro 29-04-2003 10:19 PM

Cool Adl,
Looking great man, for a flower :)

George

adldesigner 29-04-2003 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GCastro
... for a flower :)
LOL Brian, maybe we should have made a big Dino-mechanical-fire-spewing-nano-ship to grab the attention of these guys. ;)
Thanks for the words though George! :)

Kevin 29-04-2003 11:13 PM

flowers?? what happened to the robots / wires and killer machines guys ??

great start any ways adl :D

M 29-04-2003 11:38 PM

Hahaha, notice how all the challenge topics are based on robots and killer machines with large rockets etc? Lol, well adl.. its looking really nice for the flower, just i think its a bit repedative, each pedal is the same.. i suggest making one sag or others with less folds etc. :), looking great though.. and brian, lets see this flower (organic model..ooo, not your fav brian ;)).

adldesigner 29-04-2003 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by M
just i think its a bit repedative, each pedal is the same.. i suggest making one sag or others with less folds etc.
Come on bud! Patience. :p
I´m just starting, I need a base to work on right? :cool:

M 30-04-2003 12:08 AM

Lol, you know what... that didnt even cross my mind! How peculiar.. sorry man, your totally right! I would do the same! Well in that case, LETS SEE MORE :D.

brian_ellebracht 30-04-2003 03:28 AM

sorry guys, I have been workin on a 30 drawing storyboard all day for class... :( But its finally finnished. Yeah, thought a flower would be good because it is challenging and it is different than i usually do. Tomorrow night I am going to go to the store and buy a flower that closely resembles mine, and disect it so that i can get an accurate idea what the pedals should look like and all that kind of stuff... so i have a little research to do b4 i start modeling! So... Tomorrow it is... THanks,
Brian

BTW You are off to a really really nice start. If you want a longer dead line let me know!
Thanks!

brian_ellebracht 30-04-2003 03:51 AM

I got inspired by ADLDesigner, and now I am going to go to the store and buy my flower tonight so that I can start taking pics and stuff, this may require me to pick a different kind of flower than the one in the pic, depending on what is available at the store. THanks!!
Brian

M 30-04-2003 04:01 AM

Disect a flower!! Sounds gorey! :O, put it to sleep first.. please ;). Heheh. I really admire how you get deep into your work brian.. hopefully one day i will be good enough to be able to do things like figure out exactly how somethign works to make my models better... atm if i did that its not going to help much.. at your level it could make that little difference that means a lot. Ok, cya around.. hope you finish this one, heheh.

brian_ellebracht 30-04-2003 05:18 AM

well, went to the store, spent 7 bucks and change on some flowers, they are a little different than the ones that I originally posted, but just as complicated, I will post an image when i find the camera (its to late to find it now. lol) THanks!!!
Brian

brian_ellebracht 30-04-2003 05:31 AM

Hey M, I think it really helps to take stuff apart for modeling, at least for me, If I can see something in real life, it is much easier to model, even more so than a photograph... so you hope i finnish this on time? lol, yeah i deserved that. sorry about the competition incident last month, but I WILL FINNISH THIS!! :) :)
(hopefully) lol.
night,
Brian

mumbojumbo_13 30-04-2003 11:43 AM

ooh this ill be good :D - nice start adls :D

adldesigner 30-04-2003 01:06 PM

Good to know you got the flowers Brian.:cool:
You´re actually right about the modelling from a real object, it´s a far more intuitive approach than perhaps using references.
I´m actually using a biogeometry based one. (before presenting what I have I did spend a night just making it work on paper -calculator a good friend of mine-)

adldesigner 30-04-2003 01:08 PM

Lol, however ... I just got a call from a friend of mine to whom I spoke about the challenge, and he has cayenas in front of his house, so I´m going to pick up some too.
This´ll be interesting. :)

brian_ellebracht 30-04-2003 01:47 PM

cool. :) GL

Brian

brian_ellebracht 30-04-2003 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been working on this really really hard recently, and I only have 1 pedal done, : ( well not even done but atleast off to a good start.... Please let me know what you think. THanks,
Brian

M 30-04-2003 03:38 PM

WOW, brian.. thats amazing! Hah, its got the texture of a flower, and those ripples.. looks amazing. One thing though, to me it looks really dry, im just trying to point out the one thing i see.. like, petals like that have a moistness to them and are bendy and everything.. if you could add somethign that makes it seem more like that feeling then that would be sweet.. one thing though is that now i am definately going to get what i am modelling (within possibilities) so that i can view it while i model! Keep it up, both of ya!.

ragecgi 30-04-2003 04:54 PM

Love them bothy! Great battle so far guys!