Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What made you start working with 3d? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7264)

NERDboy 02-08-2003 11:06 PM

What made you start working with 3d?

i started because i had nothing better to do and to keep the parentals happy i never thought i would end up sitting in front of my computer 10 hours a day working on a never ending flow of ideas which come to life in front of my eyes..:cool:

so what made you start working in 3d.

[icarus_uk] 02-08-2003 11:15 PM

Games! I sit infront of my computer 10 hours a day making game content.

dannyngan 02-08-2003 11:18 PM

I got tired of building armatures, sculpting plasticine, setting up lights and dealing with hot sets. 3D is so much cleaner than stop motion. :)

Oh, and developing game content is fun. :D

Ultragames 02-08-2003 11:55 PM

The constant flow of creative ideas that I have had in my head is extrealy frustrating. All my life I have strived to explain, express and recreated the wonderful things i have imagined in my head. I chose 3D because I feel that, once skill allows, I will be able to recreate my ideas, and share them with the world!

mtmckinley 03-08-2003 01:16 AM

the movie Jurassic Park first sparked the idea.

Vampus 03-08-2003 04:53 AM

I sit infront of my computer 10 hours a day listening to you guys creating 3d. :( :)

R-Tillery 03-08-2003 05:15 AM

Started off building Maps for game Mods and needed cretin objects in the level like trash dumpsters and light polls and never a molder on the team so I did them my self, so when I started with Maya I thought how crazy cool is this and never stopped.

Blinn 03-08-2003 01:08 PM

I think it was when i first got Worldcraft (the halflife level maker), a long time ago. That was my first interest in 3d.

Nataliia 03-08-2003 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blinn
I think it was when i first got Worldcraft (the halflife level maker), a long time ago. That was my first interest in 3d.
You poor, poor man. I used WC for SWAT and you have my pity. :bgreen:

Blinn 03-08-2003 09:35 PM

hah, i thought it was the coolest thing ever back then!

howardporter 03-08-2003 09:41 PM

I started so that I could excape reality :)

I-Iybrid 05-08-2003 03:51 PM

What Howard said, and the movie Monsters, Inc. I remember trying to make Mike (dont know how to spell his last name, hehe). Boy did he look like crap :p

Alan 05-08-2003 09:42 PM

lol i got asked this at my interview. And I said it was cause I needed to make some graphics for my final year project at uni and then I say the company website and so I applied to come on this course... the rest is history :)

drknow 06-08-2003 01:10 AM

I started out programming 3d engines in qbasic on my dos machine a long time ago, before modelling programs were very popular/not too expensive.

drknow 06-08-2003 01:12 AM

But then I got out of it because once I had a good engine made, I had to type in the location of every vertex and its connections. It really sucked.

fredriksson 06-08-2003 01:19 AM

I started fiddling with it waay back on the amiga, doing simple primitives and raytracing (that took forever on the old 500). Then came a long pause where I mostly played games. I then picked it up again when 3dsmax came out, and been doing very sporadicly since then. Only recently when I got into university, and in particular these last 4 months, have I really started to learn and create stuff. What sparked my latest enthusiasm was a course in 3d modelling and animation I took last spring, and some lectures (by Ken Perlin, etc.) that really got me thinking. Been around long, but not gotten very far ey? :D

drknow 06-08-2003 01:41 AM

Yep, same here. I was going around 2 miles per hour, and now Ive kicked it up to 20

otaku 06-08-2003 08:57 AM

i just starte when first Strata studio as releasing

yeah its long time ago the brother of a exGrilfriend was modelling with Starta Studio Pro and lather he get MAYA 2 from his parent (techers here get very big sell)

so i was intersted because i saw what dimensions in sience fiction will e possible.

also all the movies where they used CGI was turning me into interests.

:beer:

LauriePriest 08-08-2003 01:58 AM

I just stmbled upon it... i was dong 2d stuff long before tho so i just thougth i wud see how i go

Emo 08-08-2003 02:04 AM

This is gonna sound REALLY REALLY weird to some of you but I got interested in 3D back when Bryce was first out and I remember palying around with it on my friend's PC.... basically I made a torus, turned it, made the surroundings dark...and I stuck a Omni light right in the middle of the hole of the torus.... then.. I put a defult texture on the torus (something like marble/stone/orange type of thing) and when I rendered it... I said... "WOW..... this is what I wanna do!!!" :D

-Emo

genius995 08-08-2003 07:37 AM

I just started with 3D ... because of the awsome effects I saw in some movies :)
I tried some different programmes... started with 3D Max, then tried LightWave... but thought that the best programme is Maya, so now I'm here ;) I'm still really n00b... but did 2 complete video tuts.

But ... now I've got spare-time :) So plenty of time to learn this programme. (recently ended my relation of 3 yrs.) So I hope to get some better soon ;)

stedo 08-08-2003 09:06 AM

I think The Abyss was the thing that really got me interested in 3d graphics.
Been playing around with differert software since 1990 (3d Studo for Amiga, initially) but has just these last months started to understand the beauty of Maya :)
When I'm done with this summers 3dsmax work, hopefully I will never have to use it again, and can start doing serious stuff in Maya.
It's Fredrikssons fault, this Maya thing. Love you man :)

- S

Vampus 08-08-2003 12:51 PM

I'm going to semi-hyjack this thread :)

So we now know why you got into it, but what do you want to DO with it?

If I ever wanted to do 3D professionally*, I'd like to do photorealism modelling for film. How about you? :)

*I don't want to get into 3d professionally. My interest in feature film directing. I got into maya as a hobby and saw it as a good oppotunity to learn about the 3d side of things, so when i become famous and want to do a 3d heavy movie, I'll know what I'm talking about :p

[icarus_uk] 08-08-2003 02:39 PM

Eeegads. Thats a tough question. Ive no long plans for anything, let alone the direction Maya is going to take me. The most immediate maya related thing Im doing it starting a website of low poly models for props and backdrop items in games.

Look out for ickysworld.com coming... before hell freezes over.

NERDboy 08-08-2003 05:31 PM

Id like to get into creating new series of cartoons or spawn style 3d series.created and directed buy me.with a little help from my staff .;)

Blinn 08-08-2003 05:35 PM

Honestly the idea of specializing scares me. I wanna do it all!
But of course, i guess id rather be master of one trade, than jack of all. i'm leaning a bit toward something like a TD though.

^^TwEeK^^ 08-08-2003 05:43 PM

what made me starting 3d was, believe it or not, southpark....im a freak of that show, and when i found out that they were using Maya...i decided to try the PLE....and i just got hooked...

[icarus_uk] 08-08-2003 05:45 PM

They use Maya to make Southpark?!??!!! ??

^^TwEeK^^ 08-08-2003 05:49 PM

yep................

Vampus 08-08-2003 05:59 PM

You sure? I'm pretty sure I've seen some BTS stuff of it, and they were doing it all by hand. All the characters have a "set" of expressions that are interchanged when needed.

^^TwEeK^^ 08-08-2003 06:09 PM

well i dont know what bts is.....

but im sure they use maya for animating
and adobe illustrator and corel draw to draw them

the only episode done using bristol boards was 101-cartman gets an anal probe, and a small scene in 108

Vampus 08-08-2003 06:12 PM

bts = behind the scenes

^^TwEeK^^ 08-08-2003 06:15 PM

so maybe it was the pilot ....
or atleast thats what they say on southparkstudios.com

Southparkstudios

Alan 08-08-2003 06:35 PM

I want to take this as far as possible and eventually become some sort of VFX supervisor :) I've taken the first step at least. Ask me again in a year or so.... ;)

Alan

fredriksson 08-08-2003 06:44 PM

I plan nothing, other than to go as far as my wings will take me, be that to flipping burgers at McDonalds or ILM (first is more likely though ;) )...

^^tweek^^ is right about SP, South Park sysadmin interview

and while we're at it Final Fantasy - Spirits within tech interview

edit: Lol. The site censored the URL to the second one. :D

R-Tillery 08-08-2003 07:46 PM

If any one here can use Maya well a jobs a job, Game companys are always looking for new talent, here's a link to a company for gaming that is always Hiring its for Mapping right now but if you sumit your Modeling work I'm sure they will look at it. :beer: