Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SM Tournaments (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Tournament #3 - Aldudeau VS Vectorman - Round 2 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7350)

M 08-08-2003 07:12 AM

Tournament #3 - Aldudeau VS Vectorman - Round 2

Both of you have until the 15th to finish your model for the 2nd round. Then there will be 1 day for voting. The first round is model your desktop! Have a great battle!

DO NOT VOTE UNTIL BOTH FINALS ARE IN OR WHEN TIME IS UP

http://64.180.100.76/public/personal...a/tourny_s.gif

LauriePriest 08-08-2003 07:57 AM

Woot, nice one vector man and good luck!! :D

aldudeau 08-08-2003 10:08 PM

noooooo i'm screwed!

i cant texture! anyway im gonna give my best.

i havent decided what to do. maybe an envieronment or maybe something else.

Vectorman 09-08-2003 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay looks like i'm starting you guys off again!

This took a LONG time to make. Tessalation is at 5 and on highest! So whats up with what looks like a tessalation problem??

Yet again:
Quote:

Originally posted by Vectorman
Now MOVE soldiers.

Vectorman 10-08-2003 03:22 PM

HELLO!??!?!?! No one bothers to help me!? Oh well i may have to do something else. I've been very busy, i will get to work on this on the weekdays tho.

Witchy 10-08-2003 06:15 PM

It's a bit difficult to help if you don't know anything about nurbs, which I don't. I'd have made it using something else entirely 8). Looks like it isn't joined together properly. But I am sure you will fix it.

karen 10-08-2003 09:59 PM

Vectorman - if you post a wire frame shot, I might be able to offer advice.

aldudeau 10-08-2003 11:41 PM

Bad news guys,

I've just been to the doctor and he told me that i am quite severly sick. i have to be in bed for at least a week now so i won't be able to participate in the competition.

i am very sorry vectorman for letting you down. M thank you for organising such a great competition and once again i'm really sorry to pull out. I really wanted to get as far as i could in this thing.

It's been fun anyways so sorry and thanks again and i'll see you soon guys.

alex

Witchy 11-08-2003 04:20 AM

Hope you feel better soon!

Vectorman 11-08-2003 04:58 AM

Wow i just gotta outta work, man we've all been there! Its okay no one can control or predict sickness.

So whats the deal do i still have to make something??

d24e 11-08-2003 07:00 AM

not really, but it'd be nice.

aldudeau 11-08-2003 08:31 AM

i would vector,
as you see i have access to a pc but it's a 333 mhz laptop so i don't think maya can even fit on the hard drive.

in round 1 traveler didn't do anything but i still made a model so just go ahead and make something too.

alex

Vectorman 12-08-2003 06:05 AM

I will attempt to make the desk scene as realistic as possible, for you aldudeau, so you can have something cool to look at.

Vectorman 12-08-2003 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay heres an update on the speaker. I think it looks alot better. this will be nice to make look better, and at the end i'll try to take a real pic so yall can tell me how i did.

aldudeau 12-08-2003 09:50 AM

hey vectorman
thanks for modelling it just for me:)

anyway since i cant compete i'll be critisicing (is that how you spell it?:confused: )

OK. the wall texture needs to worked on i think. it just looks too grainy.

the speaker and the pen look good and since there is not much else there ill just wait until the next update.

c ya

alex

Vectorman 12-08-2003 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanx man, you're definately right about the wall, i was thinking that last night, i'll probably end up going with a nice procedural, but tell me how this looks.

aldudeau 12-08-2003 11:24 PM

Wow man very nice,

A few thigs though:

The table texture is cool but maybe a little too dark. Or perhaphs more lights.

I'm still not sure about the ratio of the monitor, it just looks a bit off.

I think you should do something about the handles on the table because the don't look like they are 3d (if you know what i mean).

That's it, apart from those things the scene is coming along very nicely. i hope i hav't been too harsh:)

Alex

Vectorman 13-08-2003 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, so here is a lighting update, the monitor is 4:3 damnit so leave me alone!(jk but it is) And these shadows should make them look 3d. Need to find a decent cement floor texture.

PS Hid the keyboard by mistake.

Witchy 14-08-2003 02:36 AM

Good stuff. The wall looks a bit repeated. Desk is a great texture job though, looks worn in all the right places which I always think is hard to do without overdoing it. You might want to consider making the handles look a bit more used but overall it has a good look to it imho.

Vectorman 14-08-2003 03:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay update on the floor, added "molding" and i'm still playing around with the lighting. I'm thinking about actually texturing the "handles" since they are instanced right now, and they have the same texture because of it. Keep those crits coming! (maybe some suggestions on lighting?)

aldudeau 14-08-2003 08:26 AM

I like it vectorman!

Sorry if i pissed you off bout the monitor.

i agree withc witchy that the table looks great, the wall though is still in need of some other textures i think. it looks too sort of bubbly...

apart from that its cool man

alex

M 14-08-2003 03:46 PM

Hey vectorman, really nice job so far on your whole scene. Usually it would be to similar to round one but because ald got sick i have to say that i give you a :thumbsup: for trying. Man, and that scene looks nice! Your bump map on the wall gives it a nice feel :).

Vectorman 14-08-2003 06:06 PM

Thanx M! Maybe you misunderstood, this is not supposed to be different from round one, but when ald got sick, i decided to have a bit more closure on this project, as opposed to starting a whole new one, because i really liked where this one was going.

and aldudeau, you did not piss me off, notice the ------>"J/K"(just kidding) !

Thanx everyone for all you're support.

fredriksson 14-08-2003 06:31 PM

Looks good vectorman. However, you should probably make the border (whatever it's called) between floor and wall a bit darker. Also try softening the shadowborders (either by adding some more lights or by turning on arealights).

Vectorman 14-08-2003 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey santa i took you're advice about the area lights. In fact i've been trying to figure out how to make these shadows soft for a while now, and theyre still hard! Ack how do i do it?

Sorry about the textures (like the keyboard and such) for i do not have a working camera anymore (my wicked nice sony video cam has crapped out and needs to go out for service).

ckyuk 14-08-2003 08:33 PM

First time i've seen this thread as i had to do a windows reinstallation, but the textures on the desk look great. Did you paint the dents yourself? If i'd got through to round two i think i would of remodeled my speakers and base tube from round one to get them photo real.

fredriksson 14-08-2003 09:47 PM

Vectorman, you can try either area lights, or you could use raytraced shadows with a light radius (in the r.t. shadow section) turned up (that will give it a softer effect with distance.

Vectorman 14-08-2003 09:48 PM

no for the billionth time i WISH i painted those textures by hand, its truly the real texture from my desk, the hard part was stiching together some 640 stills at different angles (slightly) to create all one texture, and then laying out the uvs from the desk onto that texture.