Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Modeling my new truck (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7578)

brian_ellebracht 21-08-2003 01:18 PM

Modeling my new truck

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys.. I bought a new truck about 3 weeks ago, almost 4. I decided to model it since I bought a new camera and I could take pictures easier... It has been along process and I have been working on it in my spare time.. I thought I would show you what it looks like, I am going for photorealism... I wanted to do a muddy texture by making my real truck all muddy, but it hasn't rained here since I bought it :( :( so right now I am just going to try and make it dusty like my jeep... I will post my texturing wip here starting today. thanks!

fredriksson 21-08-2003 01:35 PM

Good luck and welcome back Brian.

Kurt 21-08-2003 01:52 PM

Nice truck mate.....

brian_ellebracht 21-08-2003 02:05 PM

THanks guys... I got engaged so i needed to save some $$... so my little honda is now in someone elses hands :( i decided i don't think I would like having a car in the price range i was looking for after having the honda, so i decided to get another truck :) I like it alot except for the gas miliage... like 18 mpg, pretty bad, I am used to 4cylnders. Update within the hour (I hope)
Brian

brian_ellebracht 21-08-2003 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are my wheels... the bump map that i have on the dirt, is on the same layer as the bump on the text... so the text looks pretty messed up right now on the wheels... I need to figure out a way to fix that... oops thanks,
Brian

BTW These are entirely new wheels compared to the jeep. I tried to give them a more realsitic shape than the others. THanks,
Brian

brian_ellebracht 21-08-2003 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
fixed the bump map problem i think... here is an update. Thanks!
Brian

(still needs a valve stem)

ragecgi 21-08-2003 07:02 PM

ROCK ON!

...used to have a ranger too:)

...wait... I had a crx, AND a ranger.... ARE YOU STALKIN ME MAN???!!!

brian_ellebracht 21-08-2003 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lol, yeah, thats wierd man... :) I was hoping that you wouldn't catch on... lol Well here is a very slight update...

Zyk0tiK 21-08-2003 07:24 PM

looking great man! good work!

aldudeau 22-08-2003 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
great work as usual brian!

exept i think that the part as shown on the pic (hope you don't mind) the greay area (hope this gives you an idea) should be smooth...i think

but awesome work man!!!!

alex

brian_ellebracht 22-08-2003 11:46 AM

aldudeau,

Thanks alot... Yeah, I need to figure out what to do with that, either continue the dirt on to the wheel a bit, or back it off more, so that there isn't such a hard stoping line for the mud against the wheel like there is now. But, very good point, I will probably do that. Thanks alot,
Brian

Kevin 22-08-2003 11:58 AM

looking good so far mate

mumbojumbo_13 22-08-2003 12:35 PM

sweet brian
--
how do you make that tire ? i can't do it :(

brian_ellebracht 22-08-2003 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How do you make a the tire??? Its really not to difficult... maybe I should make a tutorial on how to do it ;) I would if there was enough interest, but I am pretty busy this weekend so it wouldn't be untill sometime later next week, or next weekend... here is a slight update... I know the texture is overdone, especially the bump map....but i haven't been working on it that long, so I will be tweaking it alot. THanks for all of your comments!
Brian

genius995 22-08-2003 02:04 PM

coming along really really nice :)

And I'm interested in this tire tut :) And I think, I'm not the only one ;)

Zyk0tiK 22-08-2003 02:15 PM

hah, just "slightly" overdid the bump :P:P

looks good tho

Xigen 22-08-2003 02:19 PM

If you get the time, then i am interested in that tire tut also =)

Keep posting updates, and grats on the new car.
:D

Zyk0tiK 22-08-2003 02:36 PM

yeah i'm interested too :)

Kurt 22-08-2003 02:38 PM

awsome as always mate=)

brian_ellebracht 22-08-2003 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys... I got bored and I tried to apply one of my reference pics as a texture... It turned out alot better than I thought that it would... so I was wondering... What if I took a pic of the fender, and then the door and then the bed... and used them as textures?? The problem is the lighting and stuff. but i could take the pics durring a cloudy day, so there aren't any hard shadows, and I could wait till its really dirty, that way I don't have to worry about the reflections... WHat is your opinion on this??? as you can see, my nose is to long... Oops. I could just stretch the texture out a bit to make up for it. I have a 3megapixel camera and i could take pics of individual areas head on, that way there own't be any streching... Please let me know what you think about this. I could make it very realistic this way.. but isn't it kinda cheating? or is it still ok? Thanks,
Brian

Zyk0tiK 22-08-2003 03:35 PM

i dont think using photos as textures is wrong... a head i textured for a movie i was making was textured using photos. i dont see why people should have to draw stuff for hours and hours to make something identicle to what they could take a picture of:P

I-Iybrid 22-08-2003 03:47 PM

Yea. I agree w/Zyk. Its not cheating. Its just making it more realistic. Keep up the kick ass work Brian :)

brian_ellebracht 22-08-2003 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am so excited about this project.. It will probably be one of my most photorealistic vehicles todate. I spent about 20 min working on uv's and stuff.. This is just a test!! now I need to find the right place and time to take photos of everybody panel on my truck, make sure I am not in the reflection... and do this... what do you think??? (rendered with GI_Joe in 25 sec) maybe I could add dirt ontop of the photos??? so many options :bgreen: :bgreen: I think it looks pretty realstic, again this is just a test.. so the Uv's are still a little off.. THanks !!
Brian

BTW the cool thing if I take all individual pics, i can look at different angels without streching:D

mr2turbosw20 22-08-2003 04:19 PM

very nice looking brian, as always, is that a reflection of you there on the door? btw, i would like a tire tut from you too!! thanks and keep it up

brian_ellebracht 22-08-2003 04:22 PM

yeah thats me in the door lol. um... I can find ways around that though... This idea of taking photos and using them as textures won't work to well, unless my truck isn't reflecting anything... :( because if I were to do an animation, the reflection wouldn't move around or anything, and it would look wrong... I could try to hide the obvious parts with adding dirt and stuff, or wait till it finally rains and get it muddy somehow.... hmm... I don't know...
Brian

mr2turbosw20 22-08-2003 04:26 PM

can u try to edit the pic with paintshop, photoshop or something?

Zyk0tiK 22-08-2003 05:46 PM

yea i was just about to say the same thing, just edit the reflections out and it will be fine :)

Zyk0tiK 22-08-2003 05:47 PM

or maybe even leave you in the side? so it looks really realistic ;)

aldudeau 23-08-2003 01:00 AM

YES make us a tut!

Very good so far brian veeeeerryy good

alex

ereitz 23-08-2003 01:48 AM

cheating!!! photos! not real textures! (just kidding...)

looks great!

Alan 23-08-2003 02:23 PM

to make sure you're not in the photo you will have to do a bit of photoshop manipulation but if you set the camera as far away (on a tripod) as possible, use a telephoto lens (if you have one) to zoom in on the area and remotley set it off then you will only have to take the camera out of the photo. I think that's how it's done. Check out tutes on making HDRI pics cause they suffer from the same probs.

:)

Alan

mr2turbosw20 24-08-2003 12:16 AM

or just use a camera stand and set a timer

f50 24-08-2003 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
:( because if I were to do an animation, the reflection wouldn't move around or anything, and it would look wrong...
exactly;)
it sure cuts down on non-animated rendering time, though.
another issue i thought of is how you'd get the reflections to appear seamless between the different parts of the car, cuz not only the lighting would be a bit different, but from different angles the reflections would appear a little different, i think.

you could easily use those pics as reference for making some nicely shaded textures, or just model everything super-detailed and let well-done rendering do the photo-realism for you.

mr2turbosw20 24-08-2003 07:00 AM

sorry brian, i know this is ur thread, but i have a question for all u car modeling experts... does it matter if the model stay seperate? or i have to connect them back into one piece after all the modeling is done? like...the wheels and some headlights, spoiler, exhuasts...etc, or is it ok to just let it be alone? or is it even ok to have it cross each other when they're not combine as one object?

drknow 24-08-2003 05:52 PM

Cool truck.......WHy isnt it in my what do you drive thread :):):)

brian_ellebracht 25-08-2003 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lol. Dr. Know, I will email you back in a few hrs. Umm wow there are alot of replies over the weekend, sorry I didn't have access to a computer to reply. I personally allways keep the parts of the vehicle seperate. for alot of reasons. I try to model it like it is in real life...so I keep the body parts seperate. There is no way I could have everything on at once and still be able to work smoothly in maya, so by keeping everything seperate, i can create layers and stuff for quicker rendering and working on maya because I only have visible what I am working on, like in this case, the side of the truck... Well.. This is my first HDRI test.. needs alot of tweeking sorry. but wanted to get your opinion... what do youthink so far? the dust needs to be a lighter color sorry. Thanks,
Brian

Alan 25-08-2003 03:10 PM

hold crap that looks great! I think the dust colour isnt too bad actually, there seems to be some artifacts at the top of the door frame though. Is that the JPEG or the render?

fredriksson 25-08-2003 03:47 PM

Looks great Brian.

One thing though, the dirt sticks toghether a bit more from what I know, it creates more of a streaklike pattern (not wholly so, but a bit more than you have right now). I guess it depends a bit too, if its a bit muddy, the splashes creates streaks, but if its just a dirt road, its more speckled. Hope you understand what I mean, my brain is not completely attached right now. Good luck :D

brian_ellebracht 25-08-2003 04:15 PM

fredriksson,

Thanks for your comments. in a perfect world, it would actually rain here, and I could go get my truck really muddy and take photos so that I could use it as my mud texture.. i figured if I tried to draw the streaks and stuff it wouldn't look as realistic. So for now I am just making it dusty, I know its also hard to tell that right now, cauz my bump is so high making it look like i am trying to make mud... kinda like a truck driving down a really dirty/dusty road that is slightly wet...lol. sorry. Talk to you later, updates soon
B

brian_ellebracht 25-08-2003 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
update...