Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Modeling my new truck (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7578)

brian_ellebracht 17-09-2003 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
color update...

dave_baer 17-09-2003 03:54 PM

Wow dude! That's really starting to come together now. The door looks excellent. However, on the fender it looks as though some of the mud is painted on. You have a flat painted mud and then a high deisplacement. There's no inbetweens. Especially towards the front, just above the wheel. But damn... it's looking good! Cant wait to see the finished product. :D

:beer:

brian_ellebracht 17-09-2003 04:08 PM

Dave I kind of agree with you... but, I was trying to make it look like there were two layers of mud, new and old, the old stuff wasn't nearly as chunky when I went out because it got caught in the rain, and took most of the "chunkyness off" then I went out a second time, and got it back... but if it looks wierd, than I can mess with it some more... spending so much time on just a fender :( this is a very time consuming projcect... thanks alot for all of your motivation guys. :)
Brian

Vectorman 17-09-2003 05:09 PM

Well I think you're getting pretty freaking close! I personally would REALLY like to see some more of the truck. Anyway you can try a render with it alltogether? (i know will probably take a week and a half)

gueedo 17-09-2003 05:20 PM

wow...it's really lookin amazing...the mud on that last render looks so believable. I like the 2 layers of mud idea. it looks like you went through some wet, watered down mud, then went crashing through some thicker mud. Looks awesome man. :thumbsup:

brian_ellebracht 17-09-2003 05:55 PM

Hey guys thanks alot... want to see more of the truck?? Umm... sorry this is really all i have done right now :( takes forever to render as it is, and i keep on makeing so many canges and trying new things... so my progress is really really slow. but, when i get this all figured out, the rest should be a little quicker process because I know what i will need to do (I hope) anyways, I my goal today is to get the bed of the truck done today as well... I still need to make the textures for the handle, lock, and all rubber pieces... so far, for the front trim, and the door and the fender, I have 18 textures... all are around 1600x1200... so...takes awhile to loat them all to say the least. MR renders it very fast though, it can handle displacement maps alot better than regular render. It takes about 2-5 min to render it at 640x480. Talk to you soon,
Brian

wanna3d 17-09-2003 06:19 PM

the mud is starting to look really freakin real....it's really amazing what you've done with those displacement maps:D

matt

brian_ellebracht 17-09-2003 06:34 PM

Thanks alot Matt.. That means alot from ya. Hey guys, just so you know, Matt was my animation teacher from way back when :) I've known him for a few years now. Its good to keep intouch with people who like to do cg stuff as much as you do. Anyways, he's helped me out alot :)

Working on the bed as we speak,,,
Brian

brian_ellebracht 17-09-2003 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the section of the bed that I am going to start to work on next...
Brian

brian_ellebracht 17-09-2003 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is an example of my shading network..

nirsul 17-09-2003 09:52 PM

Brian

I lovce the way you model cars.

BTW , regarding the shader network - Why do you use multiple place2dtexture nodes for the same mapping ?

Nir

roach105 17-09-2003 10:40 PM

Hey Brian is that 2d bump really necessary if you have displaced your texture.

brian_ellebracht 17-09-2003 11:09 PM

the bump and displacement map are effecting two differnt things...I am using the bump the the underlying mud, that isn't very thick, and i am using the displacement map for the chunky stuff... also.. Not sure why i am using multiple place2dtexture, I just attached the textures after i editited my UV's and stuff. I guess by default it does that... I could delete them,,, does it make a difference? Thanks guys,
Brian

roach105 17-09-2003 11:15 PM

i would attach all the 2dplacement to one node only. Not sure how much rendering time you would save by doing this.

realman 18-09-2003 05:43 AM

Please make some snap shot of how you're doing your truck and post some tutorials, can you make a tutorial on how you made the tires, including rendering and bump maps.

Thanks,

brian_ellebracht 18-09-2003 12:21 PM

i am going to make a tutorial on how to make tires like I do after I finnish the textures. I was hoping to be finnished sometime next week. Thanks,
brian

brian_ellebracht 18-09-2003 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for the tip on the 3d text placement. I will make the change b4 i render again... Here is an update... Finnaly got to the bed... Most of the hard stuff is done, execpt for the front bumper. THanks gonna be kinda hard, trying to match up UV's... i also need to make the thextures on the body pannel, match up, you can see some places where the mud should contine thru the crack between the pannels. I am going to work on some misc stuff today, probably not on my truck to much, i need to get a modeling demoreel done by monday. Talk to ya later,
Brian

luistlf 18-09-2003 06:57 PM

Jesus Brian this is just working well, no comments :thumbsup:

aldudeau 21-09-2003 07:16 AM

hehe

that thing is dirty :)

dave_baer 21-09-2003 05:59 PM

Hey Brian, whats your mentalray setup? I love the renders u get.

brian_ellebracht 21-09-2003 07:06 PM

actually, I have the quality set pretty low.. .but for some reason there aren't any artifacts.. kinda wierd. but, I will post up my settings soon. sorry for the lack of updates.. I have been working on my first modeling demoreel. And thanks to EMO, I will be able to post it on SM on monday. the rest of the week I will be working on my truck. THanks!!
Brian

vertiis 22-09-2003 10:06 AM

keep it up brian! awesome work...

cant wait for the final render...

v

ljump12 25-09-2003 10:49 PM

wow i diddnt know people could make models that good!

dave_baer 04-10-2003 01:38 AM

Brian isn't people. He's from another planet. :p

:beer:

ragecgi 04-10-2003 07:09 AM

Yeah man, awsome as usual bud!

ps, interested in those MR specs as well too:)

Good luck w/the reel!

R-6 04-10-2003 11:14 AM

Sweet !
Yes to a Tire tut as well:D

brian_ellebracht 04-10-2003 08:40 PM

Sorry guys, ran into some major computer and email issues the last two weeks, didn't know you were replying so much! THanks alot. I will give you more details soon. THanks,
Brian

Sil-Valeor 04-10-2003 10:18 PM

Looking awesome man! No commnets at all.
Just one Q: Are you using nurbs?

Keep it up!

aldudeau 05-10-2003 08:28 AM

I'm pretty sure he is using Sub-Ds

Sil-Valeor 05-10-2003 08:57 AM

hmm...I think it's time tht I finally start start using sub-D.

ckyuk 31-01-2004 03:08 PM

What happened to this anyway, as i was really looking forward to seeing the final render?

R-Tillery 31-01-2004 04:30 PM

Hey brian Do you think you might make a video of your Techniques some time in the near future?

brian_ellebracht 01-02-2004 05:28 AM

Hey guys... I kinda forgot about this :) I was very very close to finnishing it, but then I packed up and moved here to detroit...now that I have a little more time, I am starting a new proj, a custom bike...I shoudl really finnish this though, sine I have put so much time into it allready..> I think I will finnish it in a few weeks...any video tutorials?? I would really like to do a few for Simplymaya...things should slow down at work soon (I hope) and I can talk to kev about making some. Thanks,
Brian

LSphinx 03-02-2004 05:27 AM

GREATEST stuff Brian!!!! :)
BEGGING for more!!.... :bow:

LSphinx 03-02-2004 05:28 AM

oh,.. and how come your link "My new website!" doesn't work?..
just waned to see more of your stuff.. . :p

isp_of_doom 04-02-2004 06:40 AM

wow....its kinda sad to see a pro give up a model as good as that. It was incredible, anyway hope to see your bike soon (but please, please have free vid tutorials - emphasis on FREE). How long have you been modeling?