Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Next Months Challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7673)

doodle 28-08-2003 04:24 AM

Next Months Challenge

I have an idea for next month’s (September) challenge. How about modelling your favourite celebrity as a caricature/cartoon style. Maybe with a bigger head than the body, not realistic, or semi-realistic…etc

Vampus 28-08-2003 05:52 AM

I'd have to disagree. I think too many people dislike or can't do character modelling.

3dgurl 28-08-2003 06:35 AM

hence the challenge ;)

i think it may be cool to do something like this since it is by far much easier to make a caricature versus a properly proportioned REALISTIC character =P

Ultragames 28-08-2003 07:58 AM

I agree, no characters! How about a Model you computer + desk??

^^TwEeK^^ 28-08-2003 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ultragames
How about a Model you computer + desk??
that was just done in the turnament....

i actually like z1mmnd14's idea, even though i have no expirience at modeling human characetrs, i would really like to learn.

dragonfx 28-08-2003 08:32 AM

i dont care about tournaments,and just wont be participating on any... but then it would be nice if mtmck did posted an example of real world work requirements. Not a real one just one in the lines of the ones that arrive to his desk to see if we could keep pace:
A concept, requirements and deadline on the lines of a real world work.

EagleKing 28-08-2003 09:10 AM

what about modeling other members? hahahaha
that would be great.

Kevin 28-08-2003 09:18 AM

hey I might even stick up my picture and get you guys to model me :)

I know some of you would do evil things :)

EagleKing 28-08-2003 09:20 AM

man kev....modeling you. We are not cruel you know

jokez :P

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
i dont care about tournaments,and just wont be participating on any... but then it would be nice if mtmck did posted an example of real world work requirements. Not a real one just one in the lines of the ones that arrive to his desk to see if we could keep pace:
A concept, requirements and deadline on the lines of a real world work.

That could be cool... the thing is, it would be a game art challenge, then. Is that cool with everyone? Also, it would be another environment challenge... Let us know and, I'll try to see what Matt thinks.

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 12:22 PM

Hmm, after thinking about it, here's an issue... At work, I am given a conceptual drawing to work from. Would you guys prefer to make your own concept, or would it be more interesting for me (or another mod) to provide a concept image and see what kind of take everyone has of it.

The main concern would, of course, be that everyone would be doing the same project, so stealing of ideas might be a problem... hmmm... and similarities would be pretty common, it being the same image. I suppose one thing we could do is find 3 or 4 different concept images and let people pick one. That way there could be some kind of variety in the challengers. Also, we could make a rule that any "he stole my texture!" remarks would be based on the date of the posts involved, with the copiers asked to stop. The concern isn't so much that people have similar work, it's the concern that someone posts their texture map, for example, and someone else decides to just take it and modify it (or even just blatantly USE it. :p ).

Comments?

^^TwEeK^^ 28-08-2003 12:26 PM

i like the idea....but i think that the concept images should be totally different....for example...one of them will be of an environment, one of a lowpoly character..etc.
so that we will be able to choose

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 12:32 PM

Well, the whole idea of this challenge is to simulate the kind of work I get at my job... and that limits it to structural stuff. If characters were to be one of the choices, the challengers would need to be able to get at least 2 done, as that's the amount of time in a month I would be able to get a character done.

Of course, I realize that I'm talking a 9am-7pm (at least) job time, here. If you guys want, we can just ignore any sort of time restrictions my job gives me and just worry about it being within the month of September.

EDIT:
Fairness comes into play, though, as someone who chooses an environmental concept provided is going to have a heck of a lot more stuff to do than a character concept would give. Afterall, an environment concept's poly limit would be closer to 50,000 triangles... a character would be 3000.

Vampus 28-08-2003 12:38 PM

Err, didn't I suggest this in your interview thread 2 days ago? MIKE YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!! :argue: :mad:

:D

^^TwEeK^^ 28-08-2003 12:38 PM

i think we should just worry about it being within the month because I (and others as well) only have 2 hours MAX a day to play with maya. Alos a lot of us have very little expirince with game art, and will have to learn as we go along, which will take time.

Nataliia 28-08-2003 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Hmm, after thinking about it, here's an issue... At work, I am given a conceptual drawing to work from. Would you guys prefer to make your own concept, or would it be more interesting for me (or another mod) to provide a concept image and see what kind of take everyone has of it.
I like this! Even if it were to be a single concept, not many final products end up looking identical to the concept. There could even be a certain amount of personal interpretation allowed (such as art deco style, or dali's oozing clocks, or some such). The point wouldn't be for everyone to make identical scenes, but to make your own interpretation of the concept while still being able to identify that concept as the base.

:bgreen:

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 01:16 PM

Oh, definitely. My job allows me to do whatever I want, just so long as it remains within the confines of their requirements and has the same feeling as the concept. :)

Witchy 28-08-2003 01:20 PM

I think Mike's idea sounds great - I'll tend to try the challenges whatever they are as I have always learnt a lot from them. I hadn't textured anything except weapons before I started modelling for the challenges here.

If one had to pick an environment or character I'd force myself to go environment - I do so little of that it would be great to have a go at it, for the experience and practice. Of course for those of us stuck in normal with the likes of Howard (and now 3dgurl of course) it will be another incidence of ritual humiliation by challenge, but I am used to it now!

I really like the idea. I don't see the harm in having just a few concepts either, everyone has a different way of doing things after all, and perhaps if the concepts were black and white, that would give people the opportunity to make free with colours and textures.

I have the drawing skills of a gibbon with its arms removed however, so asking me to produce a concept is slightly pointless - if the challenge requires that that's the only thing that would stop me entering. And yes, before the professionals point it out in capital letters, that wouldn't get me a job in the 3d industry, but that's fine with me.

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 01:59 PM

Hmm, I wonder if there are any concepts at work that they know they're not going to use? ;) I'll have to ask. :D

Zyk0tiK 28-08-2003 04:27 PM

I don't know... I would want to join the next Challenge, however my charachter making skills are worse than anything :P

NitroLiq 28-08-2003 05:01 PM

Then consider it a challenge to better your character modeling. :) The whole point of these things are for learning purposes.

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 05:06 PM

Right now, we're probably limiting it to environmental structures. If nothing else, you'll have a choice of environment or character.

It's still not even final that we'll be doing this.

Zyk0tiK 28-08-2003 05:10 PM

Maybe 2 challenges?

Model the charachter and model say the view from your window.

NitroLiq 28-08-2003 05:19 PM

I was thinking as far as environments go, model a realistic sci-fi room or hall interior. You could do so much with that....ghost in a shell style, star wars hexagonal things, catwalks, reactors, organic like the HR Geiger Alien stuff. Or better yet, have a gaming challenge where Mike gives out the guidelines and everyone has to design a level for whatever gaming genre he picks. That would be fairly real world. Now you can see if you could cut it. :)

Zyk0tiK 28-08-2003 05:23 PM

Yeah that would be sweet!
Maybe not "Realistic" though, I much prefer the look of non-realistic stuff to realistic stuff.

doodle 28-08-2003 06:01 PM

I still like my idea. I was acually planning to do it as a wip project, just thouugh a character would be good since the current/last challenge was an enviroment too.

Alan 28-08-2003 06:03 PM

how about a non modelling based challenge (for once!!) ;) how about an animation challenge? I mean every challenge so far has been about modelling (which is fine ;)) but i think people maybe are assuming that that is all you might end up doing for a job. You dont tend to see many animation WIP it's mostly stills (and cars at the moment ;))

Just my tuppence worth
Alan

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 06:06 PM

most jobs are divided as so:

modeling/texturing
rigging/animation
etc

Of course, there are exceptions.

Alan 28-08-2003 06:13 PM

that's true I guess, but it's definatley a good idea to have a handle on other stuff too. At my interview they asked me if I knew the basics of compositing and animation etc because if push came to shove them it's a good thing to have under your belt.

Also going on what you said about the divide in the jobs then surely we have satisfied all the modellers so how about the animators..... ;) Maybe take one of the Tute models (rigged or not) and then everyone has to animate the same character...

I mean I'm not a character animator nor am I a particularly good modeller so for someone like me the challenges are a little "unfulfilling" I'm not trying to sound selfish (as if I would ;)) but do you see what I mean?

:)

Alan

Witchy 28-08-2003 06:58 PM

How about an animation challenge or animation mini tournament as a bit of a seperate event?

Or perhaps the challenges could follow on from one another - model a character or environment then make it walk or somethhing walk through it the next month (with supplied models for anyone who had not entered before).

I'd be fairly keen to have a pop at an animation thing, but I have never animated anything but a bouncy ball, and to be honest I'm more than a noobie with animation things. I fear it would be less a challenge and more a time for me to lose all the rest of my hair.

doodle 28-08-2003 07:09 PM

I like that idea. Model a character then do a lip sync/blenshape or walkcycle. And if that character was a real person you can use that audio of that person to lip sync.

EagleKing 28-08-2003 07:22 PM

What about a challenge "Who is the funniest member?"

lol... for member lounge I mean

doodle 28-08-2003 11:30 PM

I vote Adl, but in a moronic kinda way j/k :)

adldesigner 29-08-2003 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by z1mmnd14
I vote Adl, but in a moronic kinda way j/k :)
Ouch.

These are the times .. in which you think of reverting back to your "tutorial-making-helping-adl" instead of the "I-don't-care-adl" :p

Thanks for the kind words though. Lol. :p

Zyk0tiK 29-08-2003 12:55 AM

A funny challenge would be, take a charachter, and see who can make the best animation in the world out of it :)

Axel 29-08-2003 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vampus
I'd have to disagree. I think too many people dislike or can't do character modelling.
I am one of them...my character modelling abilities are poor :(

EDIT: doing an animation would be indeed a new challenge...:cool:

doodle 29-08-2003 01:19 AM

And in the words of 3dgurl: Hence the CHALLENGE

Witchy 29-08-2003 01:35 AM

I agree with the challenge point; mostly in the challenges I make things and learn things I have not tried before.

Another character idea would be to take a sound clip and make a character that says it or does something in time to a piece of music. Everyone gets the same clip or piece of music but has free range on a character. That then helps people who think making a whole person in a month might be a bit tough as one could create something more simple as long as it delivered it's message.

[icarus_uk] 29-08-2003 02:07 AM

I still like my "model your 'mental picture' of another SimplyMayan member".

But I also like the idea of these animations and other concepts.

Ultragames 29-08-2003 03:44 AM

I say... Have someone provide a model... And we have to compete to animate it. Then we present a movie....