Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   September Challenge - Scraggy_dogg - Noobie (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7748)

mtmckinley 07-09-2003 12:53 AM

booleans in any program aren't all that reliable. Maya is no different.

[icarus_uk] 07-09-2003 01:14 AM

Its just me who like booleans then?

Kurt 07-09-2003 01:21 AM

I use them a lot actully...

Scraggy_Dogg 07-09-2003 12:17 PM

Boolean magic

It may not be that, but have no other expalnation of my model disappearing after saving... The last thing I did was delete the inside (unrequired) faces, but just prior to that had done two Boolean>Differences to cut-out the passages at right-angles...
Strange really because the Boolean making my model disappear was the reason I came to this Forum in first place about 3-4 weeks ago.... But in that instance it was not when I saved, rather when I ran the Boolean>Difference. The problem there was because I had created too many faces etc....

Ahh well better get on with MK 102.7 Rev 'c' lol

Scraggy

M 08-09-2003 03:37 PM

hey, start adding pipes to the edges and gate looking doors and lots of addons and its going to be great. Its already looking good, just i feel it needs more on those walls. Tubes and such :thumbsup:

Scraggy_Dogg 08-09-2003 10:18 PM

How do I Change move direction..?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Hey I really don't understand how I have got so far into Maya without asking this question.....

OK I extruded and scaled some faces and I ended up with this...
I know u can't see, but what I want to do is make it into a square shaft pointing down.. But never mind that...

Anyway the question is, I want to move in direction of the tube structure, not at an angle...
I keep messing about with the Pivot point, but don't know how to rotate it...? Can u help me please ....

The piccy should be pretty explanatory (Wow Big word used!)

:D Regards Scraggy

mtmckinley 08-09-2003 11:16 PM

If you dbl click move tool, you get an option called Object mode, which will align your move tool with the orientation of the object.

If that doesn't work, you'd have to eye it or use an orthographic view.

You can also try using the snap to view plane option.

Scraggy_Dogg 09-09-2003 08:45 PM

Ta Mike.

Thanks, am just trying to learn the tools better for awhile, will make something soon... Scraggy

[icarus_uk] 09-09-2003 09:26 PM

Mr Mike sir, how do you get that options menu up, if like me, you just hide the toolbox and use the keyboard shortcuts?

mtmckinley 09-09-2003 09:28 PM

Click and hold Left Mouse button while holding W (shortcut for Move tool). You get the marking menu for the Move Tool options. Same if you hold E or R for rotate and scale.

Scraggy_Dogg 09-09-2003 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys,
Y'know I wanted to create something original but with the same 'feel'.... But.... have struggled to find the 'Happy medium'
How's about this - Although it is based on Mr Feng's art (from site) ... I have done my best to create 'feel'...... Is it too far off the main 'feel' or what ????
C&C Please ..... Hey another revision will not matter, I have done loads of these 'bases'!

Hey BUT, where is the 'Toolbox' [see last post - or two]because I have never seen those options anywere else (I don't think, but dunno?)

Regards Scraggy

HappyLemon 10-09-2003 12:49 AM

Which part of the concept is this suppose to be? I am confused. Are you doing the inside environment with stations of computers?

Scraggy_Dogg 10-09-2003 06:22 AM

Outside. :( THAT bad huh?

adldesigner 10-09-2003 07:22 AM

Not bad at all mate.
Keep it going! :)

HappyLemon 10-09-2003 09:22 AM

It wasn't THAT bad, I suspected it was the outside, just having fun with ya!:D Now your model lack a sense of scale, it's difficult to identify the size of this thing. Also it's not menacing enough, where is the weapon to inspire fear? I like the blockiness of the base and the curvey thingy, could have more of that.

Keep at it!:)