Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The Tower (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9110)

dirack 25-11-2003 04:47 PM

The Tower

1 Attachment(s)
Heh, any suggestions on things I could at to my tower? I'm still working on it, so could you guys give me critisism depending on what I've got so far, not i.e. that there's a roof missing or so :P :D. I got this idea when I was asleep and make quite the sketch when I woke up, too bad my scanner isn't working :\. The general idea is to create a mage's tower, half crumbled, in a huge forest, next to the river Dirack. I would be happy to receive any tips on how to create the forest; things as paint effects slow my pc down too much. :) :( :D

Pony 25-11-2003 04:51 PM

Thats pritty nice.. I like the concept ! that would be neet to texture. for the tree's and such. I'm sure you could get away with some flat polys with a tree image on them. that would not slow you down at all..

dirack 25-11-2003 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added some details, although I have no idea how to make a good looking roof, or rubble, debris (t was part of an old castle). But I'll get to that later, when I also add some major cracks :D.

dirack 25-11-2003 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
general view.

dirack 29-11-2003 04:57 PM

anyone have any idea how to improve the roof, towers and spikes so it will look less like a grain silo? I will try to achieve the effect of the tower being cut out of rough rock, instead of it being build out of stones.

Pony 29-11-2003 05:11 PM

that would probly be most acheaved in the textures.

JOpp3 29-11-2003 06:24 PM

cool design.. Want to se it with textures :D

dirack 01-12-2003 12:56 PM

Heh, it's long from finished, and even if it were, I know nothing of how to apply a good 'ancient marble texture' to the whole :\ :( :D :)

dirack 02-01-2004 04:12 PM

New shot!

1 Attachment(s)
Heh, still no scanner, so I can't really post my sketch yet, but here's my new shot at bulding my Tower of the Raven-Eye, Brân-Ilgadwch :D. It doesn't look like a grainsilo anymore, but now it looks like a birdhouse :(. I'm trying to go for an ancient/roman/stony evil theme for it, but I ahve no idea how to texture correctely, or how to 'paste' images on my poly's :D. Also: Does anybody know how I could do this thing step by step, because I'm getting the feeling that I can't turn around the tower anymore when I'm done decorating it :P. Anyways: Please post critique and comments :D.

dirack 02-01-2004 04:14 PM

pic2

1 Attachment(s)
With roman pillars and in the background there's gonna be a small ......like a fountain with plants and stuff, background for my main screen if it looks good :\

dirack 02-01-2004 04:15 PM

next :)

1 Attachment(s)
General view of the tower with the wall, although in the end I want it half collapsed, with rubble and debris, crumbled.. :)

dirack 02-01-2004 04:17 PM

Branna 3 :\

1 Attachment(s)
Zooming in on the bird-house effect :\

dirack 02-01-2004 04:19 PM

Last :D

1 Attachment(s)
Last picture, showing what could be an outpost or something, any suggestions what to do with it? And a shot of the main gate, under wich a river will flow ( the tower is like, standing in the middle of the Dirack :) ( I bet you thought I named the river after me, did you :P ).

dirack 02-01-2004 04:21 PM

PS: All those 'holes' in the wall is where the river flows trough, left and right of the tower, and right next the the righter-outpost of the tower ;p Get it? :D

dirack 03-01-2004 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In case anyone ever checks this thread, here are some updates, I removes the birdhouse effect a little, I'm sure that it will dissipate completely when I have given in all the details. With thextures it must become clear that the temple at thte top of the tower is build on a piece of ground :p.. I've also added more windows, stairs and rails to the scene. Does anyone know how I can just paint black the back of the windows and how to put pictures on the texture? :blob:

dirack 03-01-2004 05:25 PM

2 :D

1 Attachment(s)
Numbro duo.

dirack 03-01-2004 05:26 PM

->

1 Attachment(s)
Et numéro trois :D.

dirack 03-01-2004 05:28 PM

Any idea's on how to make the windows? :cool:

Sil-Valeor 03-01-2004 05:52 PM

looking really cool!
You might wanna search the google for pictures of tower, tht can be verry inspiring!
Looking forward to see progress!

twisteddragon33 03-01-2004 08:38 PM

Windows you could do a few things. Apply a glass or transparent texture to the windows for the glassy look... however a midevil tower style would not have glass.

You could extrude the window in slightly to give it some depth then delete the face to make it look into the room.

Or you could make the window face black.

To make it black go to hypershade, create a new lambert, set the color to black, highlight the faces you want to be black. Right click the texture and "apply to selection".

I like the work so far, looks very nice. I especially like the temple on the high ground.

dirack 04-01-2004 09:55 AM

Thanks all :D, I'm working on it :D

dirack 04-01-2004 11:56 AM

How did you mean 'look into the room'? I'm trying delete the part of the tower where the window normally would be, but my faces are far too big.. :( . How do I 'project' the structure of my window on the tower, so that I can delete the face inside of the window?

dirack 04-01-2004 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:( Nothing I do seems to work, so here's a picture of the problem, I want everything of the face within the window deleted :(

mumbojumbo_13 04-01-2004 12:28 PM

you could duplicate the window,
shrink it
then bollean it from the tower and place the larger one over the top :D
keep up the good work

ayelar 05-01-2004 02:42 PM

Can we see the wireframe? Maybe you could split the faces into smaller chunks so you can delete only what you want to...

dirack 06-01-2004 03:35 PM

first wire, done very little now and have absolutely no time, so no progress :( I've run out of idea's though, does anyone know any deco's for the middle? D'oh, forgot the pic :p

dirack 06-01-2004 03:37 PM

wire 1

<<<oversized image removed>>>

dirack 06-01-2004 03:38 PM

dirack 06-01-2004 03:40 PM

and 3. BTW: ayelar, that does not work because I have hell's lot of windows, and because the windows aren't round :(

dirack 06-01-2004 03:42 PM

:o They are not too big I hope?? :S I took a screenshot with 1024x768 and deleted a lot of the borders, but didn't expect it to be so big even after that.... Sorry for that :\

Pony 08-01-2004 03:09 PM

hear ya go.. chatting about it in IRC..

dirack 10-01-2004 07:03 PM

Here, I've been active (ahum, not been having a lot of time) on the cleaning. Here are some things to compare :D. BTW: I seem to have lost the middle ring, on the lowest part of the round tower part, wich held windows and some rings.... I should be more carefull in the future :(. And I didn't expect cleaning to take such an amount of time :rolleyes:

dirack 10-01-2004 07:06 PM

Sorry bout the size, but I had to this time :) How can I delete attachments in posts btw? Man, this sucks. other people in the WIP forum always have it finished, in nice textures and when they have the same post count in a thread as I do in this one..... I guess I'm slow as hell, as wel as lazy :D ;).

dirack 10-01-2004 09:03 PM

Can anyone help me with the textures, I'm trying to have 3 of em ready:
1: A hard dark rock, reflective, as if the tower was carved from it, no stones.
2: A marble white thing, also without stones.
3: A large bouldered, marble Ànd black rock tower :).
So does anyone know how to get a texture bumpy enough to seem 'spikey', and with a non-continuing reflection ( ever seen a rock have the same reflection at every corner? :) ). I just had a wonderfull wall but I accidentely reloaded the scene again and now I'm stuck without bumping / displacement again. How to connect such things in the hypershade? :bgreen: :bgreen:

dave_baer 11-01-2004 12:01 AM

dirack. every one of your images is different sizes. can you not render or take a screen shot that is 640x480 or lower?

In the render globals, set the render szie to 640x480. If it's a screen shot, in photoshop choose IMAGE - IMAGE SIZE and make it 640x480.

dirack 11-01-2004 11:21 AM

Sorry sorry, the last 2 images had to be, the rest was better off removed :D. I'm not a total idiot, so I know the render globals work. :bgreen: Don't quote me on that if I'm being an idiot again btw:bgreen: a shame some over the general views were deleted, it would be nice to check what steps I had taken at the end :) But and texturing tips people?