Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Porsche 959 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9428)

-<{ JB }>- 16-12-2003 06:20 AM

Porsche 959

1 Attachment(s)
I've been working on this for a while now and finally decided that I should be posting my progress here for everybody to look at.

It's a Porsche 959 and I'm modelling it out of Sub-d's.

twisteddragon33 16-12-2003 06:22 AM

ah i saw this in the crease hard edge thread. Nice detail so far imo.

Is it easier to make cars with lofting birail, subd or polies? Ive heard there are benefits to each.

-<{ JB }>- 16-12-2003 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and some more...

twisteddragon33 16-12-2003 06:29 AM

it looks good but im not familiar with that model. So i wouldnt know if there are any mistakes in it. But the bulges on the hood that leads to the lights seems a little off, but that might be how it is. Im a lambo freak myself.

-<{ JB }>- 16-12-2003 06:29 AM

never tried lofting birail or NURBS. Polys are easy to use for almost anything and you can model in low poly then smooth it. I like sub-d because you can work with it like polys and you get the smoothness of NURBS... the only catch is that it's more demanding on your resources.

-<{ JB }>- 16-12-2003 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i started modelling from a toy I've got then decided that i needed to get some REAL reference pics. I searched for ages on the net because it's not a very common car and i originally didn't know it's name. I don't think that they are legal in the US.

anyway i did find some pics once I new its name. here's a side shot

twisteddragon33 16-12-2003 06:47 AM

looks very sleek. I especially like the rear spoiler, looks almost like a farrari in the rear.

Ide say your model looks pretty similar except some minor reflections before the front tire seem to be out of place. But it works.

dave_baer 16-12-2003 06:18 PM

Heay -<{JB}>-, while its not the 949, it does have a similar body style. Here's a reference pic for you of the 911 GT2.

http://www.suurland-media.com/bluepr...-sportscar.jpg

Hope it helps. :D

:beer:

-<{ JB }>- 17-12-2003 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by dave_baer
while its not the 959, it does have a similar body style. Here's a reference pic for you of the 911 GT2.
Thanks. The side view is basically the same, but the top view is quite different. Here's the best (and only) blueprint I've been able to find... It's just a shame it's so darn small!!

-<{ JB }>- 17-12-2003 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, the car is slowly growing some windows. Don't laugh too much at the glass material :rolleyes: ... the colour is just temp.... I'll make it more real once the modelling process is complete. I still need to do some tweaking on its shape before I move on to make the windscreen and rear window.

I-Iybrid 17-12-2003 02:42 PM

Looks like a cartoon car :p

rich 17-12-2003 02:52 PM

Where the door windows meet the A-pillar seem to have a bevel that makes the glass seem to balloon out of the pillar.

-<{ JB }>- 17-12-2003 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Huxley
Where the door windows meet the A-pillar seem to have a bevel that makes the glass seem to balloon out of the pillar.
Yeah!! glad you could spot that too! that's the biggest thing I still need to tweak before I move on. It looks worse from other angles!

-<{ JB }>- 18-12-2003 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've fixed the bevel on the side window and made the windscreen and rear-window. Next I'll put in some wheels I think.

twisteddragon33 18-12-2003 04:30 PM

i agree with hybrid. Does look cartoony but i think thats becase of the cartoon red color with contrasting blue. Throw a toonshader on there for fun and see what happends:)

Are you going to make the whole car in subs or are wheels/accesories going to be poly?

-<{ JB }>- 19-12-2003 03:01 AM

well I was originally thinking body in sub-d's and everything else in polys... but now I think I might do everything in sub-d's because it'll be so simple to get a good curve for for the wheel.

And I agree with both you and Hybrid on the 'cartoony' look. It's because I just slap a simple coloured material on the objects as I'm going. It'll get better later (fingers crossed :rolleyes: ).

-<{ JB }>- 19-12-2003 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's my wheel so far... I've even UV mapped and textured the rubber part.

I-Iybrid 19-12-2003 02:31 PM

The wheel itself looks abit wide, but other than that, I like. :)

rich 19-12-2003 02:36 PM

They look like the AMG rims that I used to have on my SLK32!

-<{ JB }>- 20-12-2003 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Added some disk brakes and made the wheel not quite as wide.

twisteddragon33 21-12-2003 04:15 PM

i still think its a ahir too wide. But i like the texture. Are you adding any features to your car? like an interior or anything?

-<{ JB }>- 23-12-2003 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've remade the clamp in the disk brakes because the last one had a bit too much of a 'crud-factor' in it. I've also textured them up a bit.

As for the interior... I'd like to give it one (probably low poly) so that I can make the windows 'see-through'. I'd like to put the car in a short animation, and at the moment I'm thinking of making a low poly driver for this purpose (so the car doesn't look like it's being driven by a ghost.

anyway, here's a shot of the new brakes:

-<{ JB }>- 23-12-2003 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and a shot of the wheels on the car:

twisteddragon33 23-12-2003 08:45 AM

can we see a wire of the car?

-<{ JB }>- 23-12-2003 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sure

-<{ JB }>- 23-12-2003 09:12 AM

ummmm..... I've just noticed that the tires are not quite circular!!! I have no idea how that happened - I made it directly from the sphere primative!!! Looks like I might need to go back and fix that.

mumbojumbo_13 23-12-2003 12:44 PM

nice work jb, i cant make cars for S**T
--
hey you moved to the west, its heaps better isnt it :D

-<{ JB }>- 23-12-2003 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mumbojumbo_13
nice work jb, i cant make cars for S**T
--
hey you moved to the west, its heaps better isnt it :D

thanx

Everyone said that Melbourne has all 4 seasons in 1 day... I'm down on the south coast of WA in Albany now, and we get all 4 seasons in 6 hours!!! And the wind - WOW! But other than that and the fact that we've only got country TV stations now, it's not too bad :D .

Ultragames 24-12-2003 09:11 PM

HAHAHA. The TAISAN Model you posted as a reference. Well... i have it sitting on a glass shelf behind my computer desk. Its a very nice looking car.

Just kinda scared me that you found that EXACT model. lol.

-<{ JB }>- 25-12-2003 04:45 AM

Well, it's Christmas and I'm about to drive 400km north for a couple of days.... so that means that I won't be posting any updates until I return. So thanks for the comments everyone, and I'll be back soon.

twisteddragon33 25-12-2003 05:10 AM

Your mesh looks a little think. Could i see a close up of the wire around the door crease and rear bumper? looks a little tangled.

When you return of course. have a nice trip.

-<{ JB }>- 29-12-2003 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The mesh is not as tangled as it looks. The last wire was actually looking through several objects (including a rough interior floor and poly objects around the wheels). Also in certain parts of the mesh it bends back behind itself for some depth for example there is a lip around all the openings such as windows. In this image (only the body mesh this time) I've circled in red some of the most noticable spots where the mesh wraps behind itself. The bars up to the roof actually wrap right around and are sewn into a cylinder. The green circled area is almost flat so the mesh looks very dense.

Pony 29-12-2003 01:05 AM

looks pretty good to me. a little heavy looking I would say, but thats just me, and also I havne't tryed to do anything like this car so it might be needed.. Don't look tangeld though for sure.

I keep thinking I should try a car.. they look a little hard to do though.. but what the hay they couldn't be any harder than a human right ?