View Single Post
# 21 18-08-2004 , 12:02 AM
Tarrentino breaks all the rules of cinematography yet still produces a good film. user added image

Mantat: I hope you never go deaf otherwise you would never enjoy another movie. user added image

While music and sound are an integral part of any good film, again, they don't make a good story. Before movies had sound, they relied heavily on visual elements such as lighting, camera angles, and action. The actor had to be able to tell an entire story just by his/her actions and expressions. The mood had to be set by the colors and lighting of the film. Directors don't film a movie with the sound effects pre-made and recorded while filming so they have to rely on camera work, colors, lighting, and sets to deliver the mood of the film. Sound is added later as an enhancement to help the visuals along.

An exercise I give my students is to listen to about 10-15 minutes of a movie with their eyes closed. No picture, no visual elements - just sound. They then write down their experience. Then go back and watch the same 10-15 minutes of the movie with the sound off - picture only. Then write down the experience again. I never get the same review for each session.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu