View Single Post
# 77 17-07-2006 , 06:29 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey guys

easy stuff first...

Mmoore: Well Im not overly bothered about being too up there with equipment, Im not really a fiend in that area, though some stuff out there floats my boat, but I just get what I need when I need it. I think you'll be surprised actually. I'm not using anything that will blow you away at all. Just a 3.06ghz P4 with hyperthreading enabled. 512ram (which Im going to upgrade shortly) and an NVidia Quadro FX1000 with 128ram. And a 19inch tft flat screen monitor which is great for the long hours as I dont get eye burn out as opposed to a crt. And Software, is just Maya 6 complete, PS CS, and lately Ive just got ZBrush from my dear wife for our 10th wedding anniversay pressie!! Shes a good girl!!

As for rendering this sort of project well it depends on whats in the scene, how big textures are and whether I use raytraced, MR or depth maps. I usually do max sized renders at around 2k but anything bigger is usually at 4k but thats very very rare. Also depending on the shot type could just be a close up which renders in no time. Hope this helps.

Minstrel:

Thanks dude, well brows are a little tricky, fur, pfx or otherwise. I must admit to using pfx on a model a while ago (I only have Maya Complete you see) It looked good after HOURS of tweaking the thousandth setting LOL. But lately Im more into doing it the good ol fashion way using a polyplane with a hand painted map with an Alpha for the transparency. I initially wanted to use a photo of my wifes brow so I took a Hi res photo very close at around 3k, the idea was to separate the hair in PS using a trick with levels that I have done in the past, BUT, the problem I had was my wife has a really nice brown/golden skin and it was unfortunately causing havoc with the separation of the hair, so in the end I scaled the image over the uv snap in PS and made a custom brush and painted them by hand one at a time. I was pleased with the result to be honest as they looked better than the real ones!! But dont tell the wife that LOL.

Lastly to get the movement on the brows to go with the face Im just doing blendshapes with an SDK along with the face

Cheers
Jay