Thread: UV
View Single Post
# 2 03-12-2006 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
This is only a simple example, since it becomes more complex as your geometry does. I'll just give you an example for a cube.

1) Create a new scene
2) Create a polygon cube - 1 subdivison for x,y&z
3) While the cube is still selected, go to Window->UV texture editor
4) Now, with your standard mouse movements, zoom out
5) You should be looking a an upside down T
6) Right-click and select UV
7) Drag a selection box around the T, you'll notice the vertices are now highlighted in green
8) Using your normal scale and move tools, scale and move until your shape fits in the dark square in the top right corner.
9) Make sure all of the vertexes are selected still, then go to Polygons->UV Snapshot.
10) Save the file and make note of it's location
11) Open file, paint inside of the squares and save.
12) Load as the colour channel for the shader assigned to the box

EDIT: To expand 11 and 12 a bit,

I won't go into it, but Mike does in his tute. You can use photoshop to paint on a new layer seperate to the lines, so these aren't visible in your finshed tex-map.

a. Open up the hypershade, click (for example) Blinn
b. Double Click the new blinn material
c. In the attribute editor that opens, you may want to rename it to something more intuitive - i.e BoxShader
d. Click on the checker box next to Colour
e. Select File
f. Select the file that you saved
g. Select the cube
h. In the hypershade, right-click on the material and select "Assign Material to Selection"
i. Close the Hypershade
j. Hit 6 on your keyboard to turn on hardware texturing.

But in closing, seriously- go and check out Mike's tute. He goes through so much more than this. Esp how to manage with complex shapes.

Failing that, if you've only got a slow connection you may want to check out the tute on texturing a stool, found at
https://www.ramyhanna.com/texturing/p...utorial01.html

Just note, that this tute doesn't make use of the cut and sew tools. (Mike does)

There's some good stuff in the Help files about this IIRC, but the best help I got on the topic came from Mike's tutorials on his site. https://www.mtmckinley.net/tutorials.html

Simon

p.s - how'd the stuff go for the bracelet? Was the bump-mapping stuff ok?

Last edited by enhzflep; 03-12-2006 at 07:22 AM.