View Single Post
# 20 28-12-2006 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
Right I think I'm going to need some help. Theres 2 main 'problems' I'm having at the moment. (and lots of little questions too!)

1) The first is a matter of opinion - do I add more guns, or more thrusters to the model? Personally i think the wings look a little dull as they are, and i always intended on doing something with them.

2) I really want to work out normal mapping to get some fine detail into my model. Things like bolts, panels and so on. I am generally aware of the theory of normal mapping and ive seen millions of different tutorials, but most of these are from pretty dodgy looking sources, and using some pretty weird looking techniques and 'shortcuts' (such as converting bump maps into normal maps). Can someone just point me in the direction of a really decent tutorial for this - bearing in mind I've only ever made colour maps.

As I get close to finishing the model I'm getting curious about a few things too. Like does it matter how many 'pieces' your model is in? Should it all be a lambert or does that not matter? Would a specular map be of any use to this model, and if so how do i make them? Would i bother to make a bump map if i was normal mapping the model anyway? Ahh, so much to learn - if anyone has some experience with game models i'd appreciate some help!

Game art WIP - Speeder Bike
Game art WIP - Speeder Bike Rider
Game art WIP - Ornathopter!