Thread: MAC vs PC
View Single Post
# 72 11-02-2007 , 02:47 AM
R@nSiD > 'Sorry mate, i am not wrong. I have been supporting MS products for over 11 years and have worked on 2 major project roleouts and set up over 4 branch offices for a major UK bank. So I know what I am talking about.'

Well knowing Microsoft, they probaly have coding hidden somewhere that lets a computer thats using only Microsoft software be more stable. Anyways, like I said, a box with only Microsoft software is pretty useless unless you want to amazing things like type a Word document (the funny thing is that I write in that program).

starjsjswars > 'Microsoft has never let me down.'

I guess that we all have different expectations. I hate Microsoft for changing the file dates once when something inside Word went crazy (due to the crashing and the freezing I never found out what, just all my .doc files were modified) and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a virus as I didn't have the net back then and I don't used burned software.

starjsjswars > 'If that happens(which HARDY does for me) I just do a system restore and its gone.'

I don't trust System Restore. Its reliability and integrity is very questionable. So is the Mac's time machine thing. If its supposed to save your data, why use such a unserious trivial interface? I guess its because sticking to the Mac philosphy, recovering your vital data shouldn't be daunting, which in my opinion doesn't make sence becuase since when was a computer a man eating monster? (doh, I'm droning...)

gster123 > 'As for servers crashing, well they do, A lot of schools are pushed on a budget and tend to upgrade the front end as its the thing that makes people want to use the pc's.'

Well servers arn't supposed to crash for obvious reasons. I know schools don't get that much funding, but ours when it comes to computers just keeps on wasting money with major school wide updates that fail in spectacular ways (the old Dells they replaced with homebuilt Athlon 64s proved to be better than the AMDs by 1.5 times).

gster123 > 'Just been having a look on the web about Mac OS on PC's, apparantly you "can" get a version of Mac OS running on pretty much any PC! Altohugh its not legal.'

And people wonder where do you get virus, trojans and spyware...

gster123 > 'If you keep your virus software up to date and dont to to dogey sites then theres no probs, I know that the Mac guys will say, but youve got to have anti virus software in the first place, but as ive said they are not immune to them its just cos the people that make them havent target macs'

Whats wrong with installing Virus scanners and firewalls? Its like having an airbag and seatbelt in your car... its insurance when something bad happens. And I agree that if you don't go to dodgy sites, you'll be fine...

Speaking of Macs and no ones targeting them, its true, its not becuase Macs have awesome security and stuff, its becuase not enough of them do anything interesting enough to warrant the writing of destructive code (many servers use Windows). And I assume that many of those hardcore Mac fans, having never met a virus before, won't even notice that their HD has been wiped before its too late user added image