View Single Post
# 1 25-02-2007 , 10:13 AM

simulating threads!!can anone help me!!!

hi,
i try to work with hair dynamics...
basically i would like to simulate the mechanical behaviour of threads in a braided fabric...say interwovening of 4 threads as a unit and apply forces on all sides to simulate the deformation of threads as we pull a fabric in x y direction by hand.it consists of two sets of parallel threads running at 90 0r 45 degrees and inter woven between them as we can see normally in all cloths.while pulling i wanted to see how the sections deforms (mechanical behavior)
can any body give some suggestion on how i can do this in maya!!!
here is my try!

I used curves into dynamic curves...extrude surface on them with a radius.i dont know how i can make different hair systems collide each other with a collision of offsets...means curves of individual hairs should not cross each other witnin their radius of hair.
i tried with single hair system including four interwoven dynamic curves. i try to simulate as 2 forces acting in perpendicular direction to the unit.but i am unable group 2 of them to one force and other 2 of them to an another force.since its a single hair system, i am unable differentiate forces between folicles...
i tried also with four hair system ment for each one thread and applied forces to them seperately in 2 dirrection as we pull the material by hand in xy direction and i try to animate but those curves r crossing each other while collide and doesnt look more real...even i gave collision between the hair system and the extruded surfaces.and i couldnt abl to simulate the sectional deformation.
pls help me if u have some suggestion!!!
it will be a greate help if any one give some idea!! on that
regards
dhurghai