View Single Post
# 1 25-08-2007 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber

Russian battleship "Poltava"

My original intention here was to add an example of water with a boat on it (ie the "create ocean" feature and the "boat locator" feature in the dynamics module). I was surprised how relatively easy it was to create an ocean, and I suppose I could have made a simple rowboat to float on it, but I tend to bite off more than I can eat at one sitting. Hence this model in progress!

I like WWI era dreadnought type battleships, but was too lazy to dig out my copy of "Jane's Fighting Ships" to scan the plans. I was able to get side and top view plans for this ship (a "pre-dreadnought" battleship). I have since found many others online, but I had already started this one.

This is the "Poltava", an Imperial Russian Battleship of the "Petropavlovsk" class. The ship was built in 1897, captured by the Japanese during the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-5 and became the IJN Tango. Returned to Russia during WWI, the ship was damaged during the Russian Revolution and was scrapped in 1923. The next "Poltava" was a Russian Dreadnought launched in 1909.

Here's the model so far. There are a few small details missing, particularly on the lifeboat davits as well as the anchor, associated chains, and various deck clutter. I may also add extra rigging. I am currently playing with the textures, and my first impression is that a patina of more rust and filth is called for. Any other suggestions are welcome. I left out the screws and rudders, as that part of the ship won't be visible (unless I decide to have it sink by the bows, in which case I will add them).

Here's a picture (sans ocean)! Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."