View Single Post
# 11 20-07-2008 , 09:15 AM
Senior Software Developer
Film resolutions will always be superiour quality for all the reasons already stated. That is until all films are recorded digitally. Most Digital Cameras used at present will normally be a 2k Digi Camera, but the new 4k versions are also under release now and starting to get slowly used...

To test what I am talking about use a still image, photogrpah taken by a Digital Camera and upload it to your PC. As you see the resolution matches that of the Megapixel of the Digital Lens (2, 4,5 10 etc...) Now obvously the image at 10Mp is going to be of superior quality in comparison to the 2Mp image. Now take the negative of a film image and scan that in using a negative scanner system (only around 10-15k each lol, and made by kodak) and you will see the resolution is much clearer and of a higher quality, this is due to the way the film captures the image. And this is due to the infinite resolution that a standard film camera can capture.

OK, its not really a viable test, unless you get the kit. Now as Jay stated once the film is digitised, thats when you start to loose image quality, as the film is then set for its resolution:

720x576 for TV (PAL)
720x480 for TV (NTSC)
1280x720 for 720p Res
1920x1080 for 1080i +p
1920x1080 for Blue Ray

Now the original Image from Film could be as much as 2.5K, so loss will occur. But again this is all depandant on ISO ratings and speed rating of the film and wot original film camera was used.

Its a complex and difficult subject, but original film will always have a higher quality image than digital due to the way the lens and film work compaired to digital.

FYI I worked with the Military for 3.5 yrs doing Still and Moving image capture and editing whilst I served in Northern Ireland.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)