View Single Post
# 3 26-03-2009 , 06:54 AM
Subscriber
the model looks a lot better than your gun, you're improving and that's really good to see.

yeah, you do have a lot of triangles, and you even have two 6-sided faces at the bottom of its feet.

as it has been mentioned before in a lot of other posts and i can't remember if i told you this before, but for a game model having triangles isn't that bad because the SMD exporter will convert it all into triangles anyway
the only thing is, is that the triangles need to make sense.

i did a few things in a about 4 minutes or so

attached in a screen shot of your model and under a small modification i did to it
the magenta faces point out the 6 sided faces. you should do something about that
the edge flow was altered and marked in red, blue and green colours
see how the red faces kind of flow together? they are like a strip that goes down the model
the blue faces do the same, but i got stuck on the green faces because the vertex in the middle of them looks like it's actually doing something for the model, and you'd need to find your own way to change it so that the blue faces can connect with each other like the red faces do

as ctbram said, keep your mesh clean to start with rather than letting it fall to chaos

hope this helps you user added image

oh and also,
you should avoid verticies that have more than 4 edges going into them. although it's not really important, and you will end up with verts that have 5 edges or 3 edges going into them, it makes for a cleaner mesh if you only have at most 4
there are other reasons why too... but that's related to zbrush if i remember right

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 26-03-2009 at 06:57 AM.