Thread: Smiler
View Single Post
# 44 06-09-2009 , 12:52 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by hammer.horror
i completely disagree, if you want to get a job in this industry then it is mostly copying stuff that has been created in the concept process or is a real world object.
For an employer its difficult to tell someones ability if they only have made up creatures and stuff in their portfolio.

I think if i learned anything from my fine art degree; it would be that nothing is original.

I agree and I disagree.... It's FACT that you need good reference if you want to make a 'believable' or 'realistic character. Now this does not mean it has to be something that exists in the reality, or even something pre-existing in fiction. (something people will recognize). It can be something of your own design. Something original that you came up with. As long as you fully develop the character with concept art, and even things like back story, perhaps even looking into how the creature would function in reality, what it would breath, how it's anatomy works, what it eats... all these details can only add to the character. So, while I agree that the character must have good foundations, good design, and believability, it does NOT have to be something that has already been done.. while it might be good to have something in your portfolio that people can recognize, and judge accordingly, I think it's more important for them to see some originality. They need to know you have creativity, and imagination, and an eye for unique design, and the ability to work on unique creations and new concepts. They don't want to get board looking through your portfolio looking at stuff they've already seen. They're looking for that spark. It's not like they are going to have you model pre-existing characters. Your most likely going to be creating new characters for their own projects.

Anyway, this is of course my opinion on this particular type of artist. Creature/organic modeler. Obviously if your a car modeler/hard surface modeler, they're going to want to see stuff that actually does exist, for the most part.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"