View Single Post
# 14 07-12-2011 , 09:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys

no worries whatsoever. Once the movie is out Ill post up the wires and stuff I have of the hero models I did. The only one absent is the Space Prison...but I'll try and get hold of that at some point once the film is released.

Actually I did mention about the city model, but Im not showing pictures of it so I guess its fine to tell you that we built 15miles of New York highway. That included roads, bollards, towers, run down areas, traffic, concrete barriers, street lamps, gantries, flyovers.....the list was endless. Although I didnt build the streets or its furniture as that was being done by the mid level guys, I was involved in the hero assets for that scene, but every asset did get checked by myself...so if something was considered 'illegal' I sent it back to the modeler. Its best to do these checks because of the amount of work involved. It only takes one bad model in a huge scene to screw you over and things have to stop while you find the culprit responsible. Luckily this happened only once or twice on my shift.

Texture sizes for the roads were huge tiles at done at 8k in Mari and Photoshop, but downsized to 4k and 2k for final output. If I recall I was pretty much the only one really modelling from May to July as my guys contracts were ending and also some were being pulled to do texturing. There were sooo many assets...we basically created a world from scratch.

@Rick. Yeah I love my sci fi too mate. If I were to put a tone on this, I would say its a distopian future, Blade Runner meets Escape from New York...but with that Raiders of the Lost Ark/Die Hard rhythm to it.

If theres anything else I can remember I'll post it.....

cheers
Jay