View Single Post
# 1 14-03-2012 , 11:13 PM

Separate Textures on Single Mesh

After hours of googling for information, I have succumbed to needing a helping hand!
Bear with me... Despite the information I was able to find, I am quite confused:

I have 4 different mesh objects, all UV unwrapped, with 4 separate baked textures, and 4 unique materials assigned. The goal is to combine them all into 1 mesh object while still being able to use my 4 texture maps on each previously single object. I understand it is possible to do this via Mesh>Combine + making sure you assign a new material to each object, which I did. I assigned 4 new materials, and even coloured them 4 unique colours. When combined, the colours/materials and UV maps appear to be preserved.

But here is my problem:
When I combine the 4 mesh objects, the 4 distinct UV maps become layered on top of each other in the UV texture editor. I can move them around by "Select Shell"... but where to move them to? Is the UV unwrap data preserved in each of the previously uncombined 4 meshes though they have now been combined? And is it the assigning of distinct materials that tell the objects to accept a distinct texture? If so, then it makes sense to me that I should be able to apply my 4 texture map files to all 4 of the mesh pieces separately even though they have been combined. However, I can't get it to work.

Wouldn't moving the shells around in the uv editor ruin the objects ability to be textured by the 4 textures I already created when I initially uv unwrapped them? Unwrapping again after merge would seem to be complete opposite my goal. I feel like I am missing a big chunk of knowledge in regards to how this works, and I can not seem to connect the dots -.-

I tried a few methods, including combining first and then selecting faces > assign new material, and the entire object keeps wanting to texture as a whole. I am unable to pinpoint if the problem is in my material application, the positioning of UV maps, or other.

Soo confused, please user added image

Here are photos of the UV texture editor, combined & spread out

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by foldedpaperbird; 14-03-2012 at 11:20 PM.