View Single Post
# 15 08-11-2012 , 08:01 PM
Yes Acid I generally model with two-sided lighting off. But the point is with my gtx 285 ftw 2gb card it made no impact at all and also the impact it makes on the 480 is severe. We are talking like 30 times lower frame rate! Also more then just two-sided lighting is affected, it just happens that two-sided lighting is the easiest way to see the problem.

EVGA has offered two options to me:

(1) they'd exchange the 480 1.5gb for a 560ti 2gb board. However, although I get a board with the same amount of memory as the 285 the 560 has fewer cores and less gpu performance over all.

(2) they'd put me on a waiting list to get a refurbed 285 ftw 2gb board. Problem is who knows how long that would be.

Right now I am leaning towards just keeping the 480 and working around the performance problems but it hurts right down to the core realizing that although I have upgraded boards I am getting crappier performance

I'd also like to say that I think very highly of the support and effort that EVGA is making to accommodate me on this matter. The 285 is over four years old and yes it has a lifetime warranty so I am not surprised they had to upgrade the card. It is not EVGA's fault that nvidia has decided to intensionally throttle ogl support on geforce cards to push higher profit margin quadros.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 08-11-2012 at 08:05 PM.